How to persuade a child to take a blood test

Options
Not after medical advice, just suggestions....

I say child because I consider a 13 year old to be a child, anyway, went to docs, said for DS to have a generic blood test to check incase he has diabetes or thyroids etc etc, just a blood test, refuses point blank.

Nurse explains in great detail how they are just trying to rule out things, that a blood test does not mean he is ill, they are just ruling out this and that and he nods and nods understanding perfectly....'no, not having it done'

He is not needle phobic, he is intelligent, knows what a blood test is, seen me have mine done, understands it is only to see if there is anything wrong and then nurse walked out of her surgery to 'go along with you and show you where the blood testing area is'.... he sat down and refused to go....'no I am not doing it'

Nurse launches into why, it won't hurt, you've seen your mum have it done, we can't proceed by ticking off the list what it could be or not if you don't have a blood test, etc etc the whole spectrum of Q&A covered.....'no you can't make me, I'm not doing it, '

Nurse says 'well no, you cannot be made to do it but it's for your benefit, DS...'no,I'm not doing it'

I won't say what I feel about it because it will tarnish the thread, so, nurses out there or anyone who has had this experience, please help:D how do we his parents, persuade a child who says no, to just do it?
misspiggy wrote: »
I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)

Comments

• itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bribery works wonders!

It might be worth finding out what the objection is, though. That would make a difference.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    Bribery works wonders!

It might be worth finding out what the objection is, though. That would make a difference.

So far in interrogation:rotfl:, no sorry chatting to him:rotfl: we can't actually find one, thought maybe he was scared? No, maybe he heard all the conditions named and he thought automatically blood test or no blood test he already had one of these? No, thought maybe he feared the pain or the needle, no, that maybe he went into OMG mode and thought he was going to die if they found anything or because of the blood test , no.

At present.....stumped
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    You ever think that he'd rather go through life not knowing if he was more likely to acquire these things? Not everyone wants to know that sort of thing because it causes additional strain on people which can adversely affect them for years where there's no real need. I think you need to put yourself in a position where you understand it's his decision to take & his decision is he'd rather live without that knowledge.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I was like that for a while - and though it won't work for everyone, and was a bit harsh, Mum told me that if they do the tests and find something, they can cure it. If they don't do the tests and something is there, it could hurt me.

That's been how I've viewed medicine ever since.

(ETA - good job really, I was diagnosed hypothyroid at a young age because I just told them to find out what was wrong with me!)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • double_mummy
    Options
    bribery my 6 year old has one monday and we are taking him to pizza hut afterwards

my son is really excited about seeing his own blood maybe just talking to him might help but in the long run if he doesnt want to he isnt going to do it make it a non issue reply oh okay if he doesnt want to do it but bring it up every couple of days
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • victory
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    You ever think that he'd rather go through life not knowing if he was more likely to acquire these things? Not everyone wants to know that sort of thing because it causes additional strain on people which can adversely affect them for years where there's no real need. I think you need to put yourself in a position where you understand it's his decision to take & his decision is he'd rather live without that knowledge.

I appreciate it his decision, no question there but also as his mother if there is to be something flagged up by the blood test (which the nurse made clear it is just routine) it will always be best to know now and be treated if needed now at it's early stages than later when it is harder (that is just presumption as neither a blood test took place or a condition flagged up)
  • victory
    Options
    I was like that for a while - and though it won't work for everyone, and was a bit harsh, Mum told me that if they do the tests and find something, they can cure it. If they don't do the tests and something is there, it could hurt me.

That's been how I've viewed medicine ever since.

(ETA - good job really, I was diagnosed hypothyroid at a young age because I just told them to find out what was wrong with me!)

HBS x

That is pretty much the same wording the nurse used and his dad used and I used, he said ...'no I'm not doing it'
  • victory
    Options
    bribery my 6 year old has one monday and we are taking him to pizza hut afterwards

my son is really excited about seeing his own blood maybe just talking to him might help but in the long run if he doesnt want to he isnt going to do it make it a non issue reply oh okay if he doesnt want to do it but bring it up every couple of days

We tried Macs, have your blood test and we can go there for lunch....'NO I'm not doing it':eek:
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    That is pretty much the same wording the nurse used and his dad used and I used, he said ...'no I'm not doing it'

Yep. I said that too. Mum said "Fine then, it's your own fault if you end up poorly and don't expect me or your dad to look after you".

Harsh, but fair point I suppose. Sounds like it may not work on your chap though!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is he feeling unwell? Why has it been suggested he has one?

If he isn't feeling unwell, there's no family history to suggest he is at extreme risk of developing something for which they are testing, if he doesn't want it done, then that's his choice and it should be respected.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport