IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!

Options

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, I need to post here, to say thank you for the support of those on the board. Plan A wasn’t viable, as NCP own the car park, but plan B did work. Ticket cancelled today. Thanks all!
    Nice. But who actually cancelled the ticket?  And for what reason?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • cheltenham_ross
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    Well, I need to post here, to say thank you for the support of those on the board. Plan A wasn’t viable, as NCP own the car park, but plan B did work. Ticket cancelled today. Thanks all!
    Nice. But who actually cancelled the ticket?  And for what reason?
    NCP. I used the template everyone told me to use. The letter said based on my email the ticket was cancelled.
  • firstgear
    Options
    Hi, I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum (especially Coupon Mad). I have just had a parking charge notice cancelled (by Parking Eye at first stage after initial appeal). Before seeing this forum I did not think "beating them" was an option! I was ready to pay the £60. So thank you!

My case is straightforward but I wanted to give back nonetheless.

I visited Welcome Break Membury East and stayed for 2 hours 18 minutes. During that time I purchased nearly £70 worth of goods (mostly food and fuel). Travelling with 3 kids one of which is a newborn and the other two are 5 or under.

Key info:
    • Received PCN from Parking Eye for the Welcome Break Membury East M4
    • I had no receipts, but did use a card, so was able to screenshot transactions in my app (the screenshot of transactions looked naff and would be easily forgeable, but it's the best I had)
    • I sent an "appeal" to Parking Eye (see below for the content)
    • I sent an email complaint to Welcome Break at the specific branch's address (membury.enquiry@welcomebreak.co.uk)* telling them that I expect the charge to be cancelled (see below for content)
    • PCN cancelled by Parking Eye approx 1 week after sending the appeal
    • I sent the first appeal around 10 days after receiving the PCN (I was worried the 10 days would work against me as showing someone who's not angry or organised enough)

*Please note elsewhere on the forum it is said that each Welcome Break has their own website and email address, but I did not find this to be the case. However, I kept searching and found the email of a different Welcome Break branch in a thread on MSE that was in the format: "{branch}-enquiry@welcomebreak.co.uk". I then searched google for "membury-enquiry@welcomebreak.co.uk" and got some hits, leading me to believe that it was likely correct. When I sent the email it didn't bounce. Therefore I assume someone is monitoring that email address.

I believe my case was a straight-forward cancel as the total (alleged) over-stay is 18 minutes which may fall within 10 minute grace periods on entry/exit (from what I've briefly read). I also stopped for fuel. I was a genuine customer with _some kind of_ proof of purchases (albeit a shoddy screenshot from an app). I doubt they cared about the kids/newborn.

If it wasn't as straightforward as I believe it is, then I would have phoned Membury to complain and chased them up, rather than just sending an email. I was nervously confident though (easy to say now.. truth is more likely that I just don't have time to sit on the phone all day chasing).

PS. WB Membury are silly really. There are so many service stations in close proximity and I plan to travel that route several times a month for the the foreseeable (likely at least ~2-3 years). But, I look forward to using their toilets and napping before spending money elsewhere. :smile:

Content of appeals and complains below, in case someone finds this useful:

---- Start: Appeal to Parking Eye submitted via their online portal

I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. Since your PCN is a vague template, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence. You must include a close up actual photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date as well as your images of the vehicle.

If the allegation involves an alleged overstay of minutes, your evidence must include the actual grace period agreed by the landowner.

In order to resolve the dispute, I inform the recipient of this message that:

* Three of the vehicle’s occupants were small children, aged 5 and under, including a newborn baby of X weeks. In order to transport the newborn to and from facilities, the adult occupants were required to remove the newborn car seat and refit it upon returning the car, as well as adjusting and refitting the car seats for the other child occupants as necessary.
    * The driver and occupants of the vehicle were genuine customers, having spent a total of £68.95 across 4 separate transactions, 3 of which were towards the end of the overall visit. Please note that 1 of these transactions falls outside the confines of the car park (see next point).
    * The final purchase of the driver and their occupants was of fuel at the onsite petrol station. Therefore the car was not parked at this time, yet no evidence has been presented in the PCN to show that the times and photos are not inclusive of time spent at the petrol station, or searching for the petrol station.
    * The service station in question was undergoing renovation at the time of visit, and therefore, access to certain areas was restricted and/or blocked from view. Evidence provided would need to be like-for-like with the state of the site on the day/time of visit, as temporary construction structures like those used are subject to regular change based on work being carried out.

---- End: Appeal to Parking Eye

Then I sent a complaint to Welcome Break Membury at the membury-enquiry@welcomebreak.co.uk address:

---- Start: Welcome Break complaint

Dear Site Manager,

Note: if this has not reached the site manager, would you please forward the email to the site manager on my behalf or provide me with their email address. Thank you.

I visited the Welcome Break Membury M4 East service station just over a week ago and have just received a parking charge notice for “staying 2 hours and 18 minutes”.

I am totally shocked to get penalised for being a customer.

I spent £68.95 on: KFC, coffee, one of those little kiddie rides, and petrol. I did not see a single sign on entering the car park, in the building, in the petrol station, or exiting the car park, or the site as a whole. Not a single word about parking costs or limitations.

At approx 9pm when I entered the site, the car park was practically empty. And it wasn’t any more full when we left.

I was travelling with 3 kids, one of them is a newborn (X weeks old) and needed their car seat to be removed from the car and refitted when we got back (unless you don’t want us to stay for food, as we can’t eat if we’re carrying baby in our arms). Those 3 kids don’t eat particularly quickly, can be messy (which I spent time helping to clear up), and need to go to the toilet (multiple times). One of them is an exclusively breastfeed newborn, whose eating schedules and various bodily functions we cannot control. Note: I cannot safely drive while the baby is being breastfed. I was feeling extremely tired and needed a break from driving (the day prior I was driving from 4am and have had regular sleepless nights since the arrival of the baby)
    IF I had been a less courteous customer, not purchased coffee, fuel, or entertainment (those kiddy rides in the lobby), then I would surely have come under the 2 hours minimum required “free” parking period quite comfortably given that we exceeded it by a whopping 18 minutes.

I expect that you do not want genuine customers - people who are willing to spend money - to avoid using your services in future. I don’t want to be petty about it by avoiding all Welcome Breaks (especially M4 East!). I would just like the charge cancelled, so I can continue being a customer.

There is a service station quite literally 12 miles down the road (that’s 12 minutes if you’re driving 60 mph) so I could, in future, stop at your services just to use the toilets and have a bit of rest, before continuing on to the next station to spend money (buy food, etc etc). Again, I would rather not be petty about it, but if I’m going to be held to these sort of ridiculous charges, then it’s actually the best strategy to ensure I maximise effective use of your parking rules (I still dispute that the parking charge issued to me is enforceable, accurate, or  represents a breach of contract, but that’s another debate).

I’ve attached proof of purchases (note this is an app screenshot as my credit card statement won’t be generated for another couple of weeks).

Here are the details from Parking Eye’s PCN:

Ref Number: XXX/YYYY
    Vehicle Registration: AB12 CDE
    Date of Event: dd/mm/yyyy
    Arrival Time: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
    Departure Time: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss

If Welcome Break is not the landowner and unwilling to instruct ParkingEye to cancel the charge, would you please give me the landowners details so I can make a complaint additionally to them (I will be doing so by sourcing their info myself if I don’t hear back).

Regards,
    Joe Bloggs

---- End: Welcome Break complaint

I'll finish off on a positive note by saying that I have also learned from this experience.

1) I am a fairly new driver and thought all service stations had free parking for customers. They are expensive enough (!). OK lesson learned.

2) Get receipts. Keep receipts.

3) Get a dashcam. It would have been useful if I needed to prove time of entry/exit, that I went to get fuel, the visibility of parking signs, etc. It's likely a useful purchase anyway, and I've been meaning to get one. This has given me one more reason why getting a dashcam is a good idea.

Maybe petty (let me know if you think it is). But I'm also going to send a follow up complaint to WB Membury to let them know that they didn't get back to me in time, and so I will not be visiting their lovely service station anymore for paid services. This whole thing was extremely stressful and time consuming (e.g. reading lots of posts on this forum) so I think they deserve an additional complaint that stresses this.

Anyway, thank you again to the forum. I am curious about one thing, and so I'll end with a question. What are people here doing when they need a nap?

That is..
    A) Do you make sure you pay the parking?
    B) Do you ignore it, knowing you're "allowed" to park for a nap (thinking here of the lawyer who won a case where he received a PCN for napping in the car park)?
    C) Something else?

Cheers

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 November 2023 at 2:50PM
    Options
    firstgear said:
    Anyway, thank you again to the forum. I am curious about one thing, and so I'll end with a question.

What are people here doing when they need a nap?

That is..
    A) Do you make sure you pay the parking?
    B) Do you ignore it, knowing you're "allowed" to park for a nap (thinking here of the lawyer who won a case where he received a PCN for napping in the car park)?
    C) Something else?

Well done on your success!

Seems they expect you to pay £11-£15 to stay for a nap but despite that being a tariff structure, no motorist knows this (except geeks like us).

ParkingEye don't put this in 'big' on the signs and nor are there any obvious paypoints:

https://www.welcomebreak.co.uk/journey-planner/parking/#:~:text=Following%20the%20first%202%20hours,the%20charges%20at%20each%20location.&text=Payment%20for%20parking%20is%20taken,Smith%2C%20petrol%20forecourts%20etc.)

"Every Welcome Break site offers 2 hours free parking to all motorists. For those motorists wishing to stay longer than 2 hours, there is the option to pay for additional parking time as detailed on the signage within the car park. If parking regulations are not adhered to a Parking Charge Notice will be issued.

Tariffs

Car parking charges apply after a free 2 hour period. Following the first 2 hours, cars are required to pay £15 for 2–24 hours, at all Welcome Break locations."

Someone else who didn't know this was Nicholas Bowen KC, who stopped for a nap:

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/26/parking-eye-takes-on-top-barrister-85-fine

:D 

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • firstgear
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    Very well done on taking this to PE and WB, great result. Not su e whether it was your level of spend or the fact you were a breastfeeding mother that caused PE to dip out. 
    Maybe petty (let me know if you think it is). But I'm also going to send a follow up complaint to WB Membury to let them know that they didn't get back to me in time, and so I will not be visiting their lovely service station anymore for paid services. This whole thing was extremely stressful and time consuming (e.g. reading lots of posts on this forum) so I think they deserve an additional complaint that stresses this.
    I certainly don't think it petty. In fact this gets right to the core of the issues ultimately facing landowners - the loss of business because of their association with private parking firms, their own seeming unwillingness to intervene on behalf of their customers, and the negative impact on their profitability. 

Go for it, let us know how they respond, please.
    I suspect it was the level of spend or that I bought fuel, and therefore they knew they couldn't prove a full 2 hours "parked".

Will let you know. I CC'd the main WB customer service email address as well. :smile:

• user57
    Options

Heathrow PCN cancelled using NEWBIES template, the reply went on about their terms and conditions but at the end it said "In conclusion, we will waiver this PCN, but must inform you that the terms and conditions in this location advise the driver that they must pay for each visit to the site.", the reason for cancellation was not given.   Many thanks for everyones’ help on this website.

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    user57 said:

"In conclusion, we will waiver this PCN, but must inform you that the terms and conditions in this location advise the driver that they must pay for each visit ..............

Did it really say "waiver" if so there can only be one person working there as they all erroneously state "waiver" when it should be "waive"!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback