We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    The Goodies and Anita Harris, I am loving this nostalgia!

Tins may have been bigger back in the day but catching up on TOTP 1984 last night was a reminder that the vast majority of people were extremely slim by today's standards. Chocolate was a treat and eating between meals not a norm then.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • briskbeats
    Options

Tins may have been bigger back in the day but catching up on TOTP 1984 last night was a reminder that the vast majority of people were extremely slim by today's standards. Chocolate was a treat and eating between meals not a norm then.
    Same goes to takeaways and McDs. Back in the day, most people had them when they came back from holiday at 8pm, birthdays. Now some people have 2 takeaways a week.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 said:
    Indeed     

Ah that old chestnut.

The tin sizes are now made down to a price point.  People want to pay £4-5 for a tub in a supermarket.  You can still buy the big tins.

• wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gobsh said:
    Anyone remember when a tin of Quality Street and Roses weighed a whopping 7 pounds?
    And the original tins weighed 5 Kg 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • wild666
    Options

Same goes to takeaways and McDs. Back in the day, most people had them when they came back from holiday at 8pm, birthdays. Now some people have 2 takeaways a week.
    Two per week try 2 per day that's why so many people are overweight, they make Roy "Chubby" Brown a favourite contender for slimmer of the year.
  • briskbeats
    Options
    wild666 said:

Two per week try 2 per day that's why so many people are overweight, they make Roy "Chubby" Brown a favourite contender for slimmer of the year.
    Also there’s wasn’t the coffee shops too. You can have a latte with a slice of cake and that’s 800-900 calories depending on the type of cake! How many people order this and not realising that they are consuming 45% of their daily calories?
  • Troytempest
    Options
    In ASDA today and lots of Tassimo pods on the usual 3 for £9 offer. However noticed that some of the packs were only 12 pods rather than the usual 16.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 December 2021 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Quite a few seem to be moving down to the 12s / 14s now, Tesco and Asda have had them for ages.  The Tassimo site still has 16s but B&M had loads which is often a sign of something being discontinued.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    wild666 said:

Also there’s wasn’t the coffee shops too. You can have a latte with a slice of cake and that’s 800-900 calories depending on the type of cake! How many people order this and not realising that they are consuming 45% of their daily calories?
    I'm a fan of the oversize latte but I count that as a meal - eg a 2.30pm experience is lunch. Plus I can't bear to part with a couple of quid for the merest wafer of cake when I can get a "top end" supermarket brand that will give me 4 greedy servings for less than that.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • wild666
    Options
    Lower the quantity, keep the same price then supermarkets sell them in bulk with less pods per pack. I don't use Tassimo or any other pods but I like my coffee from beans that I grind myself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport