🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I know it was publicised around this time last year but Mondelez have changed the sizes of some of their single bars and multipacks.

Picked up a four pack of Wispa Gold last week and you can feel the difference, even though each bar has lost around 4/5 grams each.

As briskbeats has mentioned previously in this thread shrinkflation definitely is a contributing factor to the obesity crisis. Companies can 'claim' to say they are making bars smaller to meet Government targets/increased costs but they also know full well some people will eat more than the suggested portion size to make up for a smaller product.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't know if this is supply problems, or another shrinking item, but in Morrisons the choice of own-brand (Chippendale) egg-pack sizes is now 6, 12 or open trays of 30.

Absolutely no sign of the 15-packs (last seen at £1.20) that I usually pick up -- ended up with a 12-pack for £1.40. Smaller pack, AND higher price -- time to re-check ALDI, I think!
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    mikb said:
    Don't know if this is supply problems, or another shrinking item, but in Morrisons the choice of own-brand (Chippendale) egg-pack sizes is now 6, 12 or open trays of 30.

Absolutely no sign of the 15-packs (last seen at £1.20) that I usually pick up -- ended up with a 12-pack for £1.40. Smaller pack, AND higher price -- time to re-check ALDI, I think!
    I'm not surprised with eggs though, improved welfare standards will naturally increase prices. There has been a shift in demand as well, people don't necessarily want cheap food at a huge cost to animals.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mikb said:

I'm not surprised with eggs though, improved welfare standards will naturally increase prices. There has been a shift in demand as well, people don't necessarily want cheap food at a huge cost to animals.
    Note: I'm comparing free-range with free-range  -- I don't think they even sell battery-farmed style eggs any more!

The move from 15 to 12 has nothing to do with welfare standards (unless the chickens are saying packing 15 in a box is too hard ... :) ) -- it's just to hide the price hike.
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that the small bottles of Fairy Platinum washing up liquid have shrunk. The label has changed and bottle looks  squatty. I don't know the original size as put out some delivery yesterday at work and there was none of the small FP on the shelf.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got a delivery including Cadburys Brunch Bars yesterday, noticed at once the packet was shallower, but bars themselves the same weight. It took me a while to realise there were only 5 instead of 6 bars in a packet. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Clowance said:
    Got a delivery including Cadburys Brunch Bars yesterday, noticed at once the packet was shallower, but bars themselves the same weight. It took me a while to realise there were only 5 instead of 6 bars in a packet. 
    Its been a good 3 years since I last bought these, on account of the fact I couldn't ever stop at just one of these sugary wonders. 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Clowance said:
    I imagine they're struggling to get to the "offer" price of 99p.

They've also introduced a "Bourneville" variety, which is just cheating - naming a muesli bar after a type of chocolate.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Not something I've tried for years but Primula Spread has shrunk by 10g now too but stayed at the same price.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    20aday said:
    Not something I've tried for years but Primula Spread has shrunk by 10g now too but stayed at the same price.
    I haven't noticed that but beware of even smaller tubes in shops like Farmfoods. I think they are made specially for the discount stores. The same applies to smaller boxes of cereals in places like £land.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure