The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I understand that prices go up with the cost of living etc. I would accept that an item costing, say, £1 last year might go up to £1.09 or whatever for the same size/amount. It's tough but it's life (in the capitalist economy in which we live).

What really angers me is the stealth of it, the pretence, the deliberate action of fooling the consumer. Like reducing the size and charging the same price.

I used to shop in Asda years ago. Organic oranges: 99p a pack (of 5). One day I found a sign by these oranges: NOW EVEN CHEAPER at 79p. Only the package contained 3!!! Not only no cheaper, but a 33% increase in real terms. It took me several complaints, letters to main office and the threat to go to the newspapers for the store to take that deceitful sign down.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As this has dropped down the Old Style board, and is more shopping and groceries based, i've moved it to the relevant board for you

Kind regards
    Zip

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    I understand that prices go up with the cost of living etc. I would accept that an item costing, say, £1 last year might go up to £1.09 or whatever for the same size/amount. It's tough but it's life (in the capitalist economy in which we live).

What really angers me is the stealth of it, the pretence, the deliberate action of fooling the consumer. Like reducing the size and charging the same price.

I used to shop in Asda years ago. Organic oranges: 99p a pack (of 5). One day I found a sign by these oranges: NOW EVEN CHEAPER at 79p. Only the package contained 3!!! Not only no cheaper, but a 33% increase in real terms. It took me several complaints, letters to main office and the threat to go to the newspapers for the store to take that deceitful sign down.

I agree. That's what angers me most. The fact that suppliers think I'm some sort of mug.:mad:
  • glensmen
    glensmen Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's actually one thing I like about Aldi & Lidl, aside from prices - they tend to keep things simple and not try to be sneaky with pack size changes, misleading offers etc.
  • jadziad
    jadziad Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doritos. B&M. Was 99p for a six-pack, now 99p for a 5-pack. Retailers so far sticking with six per pack is Home Bargains (99p) and Asda (three for £3 or £1.45 ea).
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mcvities Jaffa cakes now only 10 disks of orange loveliness instead of 12!!!!

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Frijj milk shakes were 471ml but have shrunk to 400ml now.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    Frijj milk shakes were 471ml but have shrunk to 400ml now.
    I'm still peeved that they had gone down to 471ml from 500!!
  • pakokelso93
    Options
    Asda's own brand tortillas. Value salted version - 46p & Their normal range (variety of flavours) at 85p have a 'new' label beside them and packaging but reduced from 200g to 180g.
    PK! :money:
  • heth
    heth Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2018 at 10:16PM
    Options
    If like me you use peperami mainly to add to things like home topped pizza, omelettes, pasta sauce etc, you may find they do not go quite as far as they have become another "reduced size for same cost" item - not sure when this happened, last time I stocked up they were 25g I think, now 22.5g - not much difference but looks much smaller!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback