The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Gosh do I feel ripped off!

I normally buy Colman's Tartare sauce for £1 a jar when it's on offer. Today it's on offer in Tesco at £1 a jar, 20p off. Picked up a jar, thought this feels a bit small, so I only bought one, rather than the four I'd normally get to tide OH over until it's on offer again.

Came home, checked the weight of the last remaining one which is nearly used up - 250ml. The new one is 144g - note the change from volume to weight. But the new jar is significantly smaller than the old one. Assuming the sauce weighs about the same as water, that's a 40% difference.

I was in a rush, I could quite easily have bought more of them.

Have you spotted any rampant shrinkflation?
    I spotted one very similar to this one.

I usually buy Tesco hot horseradish sauce but saw some Coleman's in the reduced section.

Checked the main shelf and there was the 'new' version, smaller and more expensive.

So I bought a lot of the old ones - in good date.
    I often use it in mashed potatoes, on beef sandwiches and in stews/casseroles so get through quite a lot.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My latest experience was with Ryvita Crackerbread. It was in our local Co-op labelled boldly, HALF PRICE.
    I very nearly bought a packet as it is something I eat quite a lot of. But the packet didn't look quite normal so I took all the details and went home to check.
    Oh yes, it was half price, but it was also almost half sized as well. 125grams instead of the usual 200 grams.

I have trained my family always to check the unit price. It is an eye opener.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not seeing the issue here..... would you rather pay the extra and have the same size jar?

Is it any different to a company giving a pay rise? Employees are still doing the same amount of work but now getting paid more.

Well the previous jars are normally £1.40 full price, regularly on offer for £1. These new small jars have come in at supposedly £1.20 reduced to £1. However I've been looking for a couple of weeks to buy at £1, I never saw these smaller jars available at £1.20.......... is this a false offer?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Many, many examples on the 'Great Shrinking Food Hunt ' on the Food Shopping board.

Similar to OP I first noticed when Lazy Garlic looked like it belonged in a dolls' house!

Yes I've also seen the tiny Lazy Garlic jars, they do seem to have gone back to the larger ones, at least they had the last time I bought about a month ago.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    I have trained my family always to check the unit price. It is an eye opener.
    I've spent the last 15 years dinning this into Mr LW. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I've spent the last 15 years dinning this into Mr LW. :D

I know. Men seem to be particularly dense about the reasons for this.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not seeing the issue here..... would you rather pay the extra and have the same size jar?

I'd prefer to have the same amount for the same price thanks :D but I know that ain't gonna happen!

Paper products are also a victim of shrinkflation and/or price increases and examples I've noticed over the last couple of months are:

A 2-pack of basic kitchen roll was 80p for 200 sheets, now £1.00 for 200 sheets = price increase of 20p

A twin-pack of mansize tissues was £2.20 for 200, now £2.00 for 132 = shrinkflation price increase of 42p per 100

An 18-pack of toilet rolls was £6.65 (240 sheets per roll, total of 4320 sheets, 15p/100 sheets), now a 16-pack for £5.00 (220 sheets per roll, total of 3520 sheets, 14.2p/100 sheets) = just under 1p/100 sheets cheaper for a new and supposedly improved product. (Gawd, I need to get a life if I have time to work this out! :o Tbf, I am a bit like a dog with a bone when something annoys me.)

BUT individual sheets are smaller than before, thinner, tear more easily when starting the roll and stick to inner cardboard tube at the end of the roll, thereby wasting a few sheets each roll. All in all, not as good value as before. :mad:

Somehow I can't see things getting any better so we're all going to have to be even more careful with the pennies. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Glad wrote: »
    very poor show by big companies :mad: as you say a lot of people would just pick up their usual items and not notice

there was a news article on the MSE Main Site about this earlier in the year

Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller – how to beat it and keep costs low

including Malteasers previously 121g in a box, now 103g in a box! as the box is the same size, only people actively checking the weight would realise :(

You were lucky to get 103g Maltesers in a box...

I bought a box today - now 100g.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• strawberryfield2233
    Options
    What really gets me annoyed is how much well know chocolate bar sizes/shapes have been messed with and shrunk. I still have not recovered or eaten a Toblerone since they now have stupid gaps between triangles, I thought it was a joke at first sadly not :( I know that there is a school of thought that smaller bars/less calories etc but for people like me that means you just dont eat one do you ?! Manufacturers I am convinced know this hence why more mini sizes its win win. Bring back proper sized bars I actually would pay more.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    On the same note, I always thought Kleenex ManSize Tissues (black/grey box) were 3ply. I'm pretty sure they were 3ply a few years ago, as I used to help out a friend with her shopping and she said that's why she preferred them.

Bought a box of ManSize the other week and they seemed harsh. Looked on the box and it said they are 2ply.

(Kleenex Original (blue box) are still 3ply.)
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback