Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Options

Comments

• girlfriday09
    girlfriday09 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2018 at 11:51PM
    Options
    I switched away from Green Star Energy in May and am still waiting for a correct final bill after 1001 phone calls and explaining simple things over and over again to no avail. After they finally managed to correct my gas bill to the right readings, they then issued a final bill with a different opening electricity reading, over-billing me for 2,500 kWh! When I called and disputed this, they told me they had no record of my opening reading, but I pointed out to them that they had printed it on the first bill they'd ever sent me and I'd emailed it to them so clearly they had it at one point.

Green Star then tried to blame my new supplier for rejecting my opening read, so I contacted them and they said Green Star had rejected it! (I can believe that). My new supplier asked for a photo of my electricity meter and opened a dispute with Green Star on 23 July. Green Star apparently claimed they had the wrong technical details for my meter, though had told me that a meter reader had visited my property in the fortnight prior to my switch. I can't believe a meter reader would read a meter if it had the wrong technical details, and it would be clear that if a meter reader had recorded a usage of 11600 kWh, that a closing estimate of 29900 kWh two weeks later would be ridiculous for a one bed new build flat occupied by a single person.

I asked what would happen about the £500 direct debit due to leave my account as they had so grossly over-billed me for my electricity usage. I was told they would place it on hold. That did not seem to stop them sending me three identical debt collection letters a week after the payment had been due saying that I was to blame for not paying the bill and needed to pay immediately. As Green Star could have actioned the active direct debit at any point, I'm not sure how they could accuse me of not paying. Another call to customer services and they agreed to stop the letters for a few months to give time for the final bill to be resolved. It is now 3 months and I'm still no further forward.

Green Star have still not responded to the dispute or issued me with a new final bill. Consequently, over 5 months after switching, my new supplier still can't bill me properly either. I have just sent a long complaints letter to Green Star as I'm so fed up with the whole situation. I would never ever recommend anyone uses Green Star. They also inexplicably stopped my direct debit payments too and when they generated a bill for my first three months (May to August 2017), they didn't send it to me until mid October! I am hugely grateful that I'm not in credit with them though as I think that'd be a whole extra battle to get a refund.

My only desire is to get a correct final bill, pay my dues, get rid of any ties with them and never have anything to do with them again. I pretty much told the last guy that on the phone as I was so fed up at that point that when he asked if there was anything else he could do for me at the end of the call, the words just came straight out of my mouth with no censoring. I think that taking over 5 months to sort out a final bill after switching is ridiculous.

Green Star should be banned from trading unless they sort themselves out.
  • Tamms
    Options
    Switch to bulb, they give u free credit on signing up. Use my referral link . Hassle free change, low rates and no exit fee (of course no spaces in the link) .

https:// bulb.co.uk /refer /tammikas4018
  • cloudscape
    cloudscape Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 31 October 2018 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Greenstar - really frustrating experience. I was with them a few years ago for a year and switched when my fixed rate ended. I then switched back to them last year. I have been unable to view my bills this time round as, when I log on to my account, it only shows my previous bills (for the terminated account). Despite promises to put this right nothing ever happened so I have had a year of being unable to see my bills.
    When my current fixed rate ended I moved to Economy 7 Energy. Greenstar have, inexplicably, totally deleted my electricity account. When I call, all their call centre people can see is my gas account. Accordingly, they are unable to finalise my accounts until they find out where my electricity account has disappeared to. I've been told 3 times that someone will call me back "that day" and nothing has happened. I've now been told that it may take up to 8 weeks to get any response from the Complaints Department.
    I think (but can't be sure because I've never seen any bills) that I have a credit with them and, reading the comments above, I'm not looking forward to trying to recoup that.
    They were fine first time round but never again.
  • deejay1001
    Options
    My greenstar experience has been pretty bad so ditched them as soon as my contract allowed me to without incurring penalties.

During the course of my contract had smart meters fitted.

It took over 3 months from the time I switched to a new supplier for them to raise a final bill for me which quoted final readings for both gas and electricity and that I was £xxx in credit. I downloaded and kept a copy of this bill.

They don't automatically refund any credit, you have to ask for the refund. I did this and about 4 weeks later they made a refund payment into my bank account. Unfortunately the amount paid was less than the amount I was expecting so I went online and checked the final bill.

The readings for both gas and electricity on the final day had changed upwards.

I am waiting to here from them as to how the smart meter readings for the last day of my contract with them can change 4 months after they have stopped supplying my gas and electricity.

Anyone here got any ideas how this can happen?
  • valeriej43
    Options
    I switched to Green Star energy earlier this year,i filled a questionaire in online and someone rang me back,i didnt realise it was a broker ,Utility discound until i contacted GS about the promised £50 dedution, or cashback as i understood it, GS said they never promised that,only then did i realise it was a brker,
    Had a big argument withn Gs, who said they gave a voucher for £25 plus other perks, i still queried this and got a snotty letter from GS saying if i waned to leave it would cost me £30, and still in the letter said we give £50 incentive but not in cashback,even after telling me on the phone it was £25,

I only recently read about them having to pay compensation for misleading people, but i have heard nothing from them re;this
    How can i leave them easily without having to pay to leave and any recommendations for cheaper
    Thanks in advance
  • hms396
    Options
    Joined Greenstar as part of an MSE big switch. No problems joining them it is not until you leave that problems start. Switched in May - still no final bill - account is £40odd in Credit. During the course of my 1 year with them I had a Smart Meter fitted (foolishly I had not realised it would now go dumb) they failed to update their readings when fitted- I called them through just in case and still have the original paperwork from contractor. They were still using Estimates for the old meters - even though my Smart meter was surely beaming the readings to them.

GSE blame Avro for not uploading readings, Avro proved that they had within 2 weeks of changeover. In July GSE promised to sort Final Bill in a "few days". I have since emailed, sent registered post complaint escalation letter and re emailed it again last month.

I called again today to advise that the Ofgem requirement had passed and I was giving a final chance to see if sorted. They denied any record of me having complained!!:mad:

They told me they would respond within 40 days - I have advised them they have 7 days before I escalate to Ofgem but I dread to see what pig's ear they will make of the bill! Avoid avoid avoid!!!
  • fliss2147
    Options
    Well the switch to Green Star energy went smoothly. The problem has been trying to move from them. We had been with them for one year and the deal was ending so decided to change to another supplier with a better deal. So far so good. However, Green Star firstly could not or would not issue me with a final bill. When queried they told me that it was not that straightforward to produce such a bill!! Why not??? I have worked out exactly how much it is - surely if they put the figures into the computer it can work it out? After contacting customer services a few times we have made a formal complaint. We have just had a letter from them stating that they have not been able to give us a final resolution yet and they are still investigating. Also as our complaint has reached 8 weeks we now have the option to refer the case to the Ombudsman. They owe us just over £80 and I have replied that if they don't refund this within the next 7 days I will be charging them interest.
    Do they have an issue with their funds? It appears that this is an ongoing problem when people are in credit. I am glad that I stopped the direct debit when I did - as they say not to close it until you receive the final bill. I knew that we were in credit. I hope that you are no longer including them in your energy swaps!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fliss2147 wrote: »
    Well the switch to Green Star energy went smoothly. The problem has been trying to move from them. We had been with them for one year and the deal was ending so decided to change to another supplier with a better deal. So far so good. However, Green Star firstly could not or would not issue me with a final bill. When queried they told me that it was not that straightforward to produce such a bill!! Why not??? I have worked out exactly how much it is - surely if they put the figures into the computer it can work it out? After contacting customer services a few times we have made a formal complaint. We have just had a letter from them stating that they have not been able to give us a final resolution yet and they are still investigating. Also as our complaint has reached 8 weeks we now have the option to refer the case to the Ombudsman. They owe us just over £80 and I have replied that if they don't refund this within the next 7 days I will be charging them interest.
    Do they have an issue with their funds? It appears that this is an ongoing problem when people are in credit. I am glad that I stopped the direct debit when I did - as they say not to close it until you receive the final bill. I knew that we were in credit. I hope that you are no longer including them in your energy swaps!

Perhaps you should look here!
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=2.108972994.1506523017.1535881822-319094284.1513172014
  • Usually_Happy
    Options
    They are shocking and should be avoided. I have been charged a fortune. They are awful to deal with.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    They are shocking and should be avoided. I have been charged a fortune. They are awful to deal with.
    You said in your other post that you have changed from Greenstar in October. You haven't posted any details. Is what you've paid correct? Are you waiting for a refund? Or perhaps if you gave information as follows somebody might help...
    Start+end gas and/or electric meter reads
    Number days on contract gas and/or electric
    Tariff
    How much you've paid.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback