PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Potato Wedges? - All you ever wanted to know about how make potato wedges

Options

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The other day in a resturaunt we had new potatoes sauteed, sliced into circles, fried, ovened with a bit of rosemary in them.

they were lovely tongue4.gif
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Help, have only cooked these a few times but they are always soggy. i toss in olive oil (hot) & toss regularly. I do them in a roastting tin - would they be better on a tray? Or should I just use an oil spray?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may be using a touch too much oil - I use a dessertspoonful of olive oil for around 600g spuds. Toss well and then they go straight onto a hot baking sheet.

Once I have cut the spuds into wedges, I always dry them off as well as possible with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel - this makes a big difference to helping them go crisp.
  • cowboy
    cowboy Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with seraphina. Remove the wedges and put them onto the kitchen towel for a while before serving.... make sure you have enough towels to soak up the excess oil.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks all, will report back!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • maisiegirl
    maisiegirl Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    How do you make yours? parboil or not?
    Also can I sprinkle bbq seasoning on them?:confused:
  • Rowan_2
    Rowan_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I parboil mine, but I dont think you have too.
    When I have boiled them for about 3 minutes, I drain them, the hot water dries them off pretty quick, I then stick them in a bowl, cover with a little oil and whatever spices I happen to have (cajun, whatever) you could spray with the spray oils and add nothing or a little sea salt or whatever happens to be on hand.

Stir it a bit to cover.

Stick them in the oven for about 20 minutes with a wee shake or turn them over in between.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I never par boil, just chuck 'em in a bowl with olive oil, the add flavouring (I use lemon juice and thyme) then put them in the oven for about 20 - 30 mins.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do it both ways & find garlic powder really good to season
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • ravenfire_2
    ravenfire_2 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    No I dont parboil either and make mine very similar to Sharra
    Wins: Feb - Sam and Amanda DVD, Nanny Series, £50 Mother Day Goodies box