PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Potato Wedges? - All you ever wanted to know about how make potato wedges

Options

Comments

• Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use Maris Pipers too. When I make wedges I don't parboil them first, I just peel them, rinse and dry them and then put them in a tupperware tub with a little olive oil and then I sprinkle on whatever seasonings while still in the tub, reseal, give it a good shake. Meantime, put a tray in the oven with some olive oil in and heat till smoking, sunflower if you prefer and then put in the potato wedges and bake at something like 230 for 45 minutes or so. Just keep an eye on them. Always turn out grand and the kids love them.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maris Pipers for definite, always turn out great
    I haven't got one!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

Look...

..this is another follow on question from your earlier two about making potato wedges. So what I'm going to do is add this thread onto the end of those so that we have a single thread that contains "all you'd ever want to know about making potato wedges" in one place.

I'm even going to change the title to help people find it.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    estima (locally £4 for 25kg :) ), cut up, coat in little oil and seasoning (depending on mood - jamaican jerk / paprika / black pepper), lob in roasting tin on high (180deg fan oven), turn a couple of times .. sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy :)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    astep70uk wrote:
    I use Maris Pipers for everything. In the supermarkets they are expensive, but I go to my local farm shop and pay £3.50 for a 25Kg sack :j
    This time of the year some bags of tates are begining to sprout so it would be sensible for anyone considering this bulk buy strategy to club together with friends neighbours so you each have a quater of a bag which can be used up relatively quickly. That way you all get a lot more tates for less the £1 than you would at the supermarket and no one gets left with the end of a bag of manky tates all with long sprouts on them.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quickie, do you think it would be ok to use new potatoes to make chips/wedges? I was thinking just cut them in half and oven roast with a little oil and seasoning. Will this work and should I par boil?

TIA
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have done this and think it tastes very good it does taste different though not sure why. I did not parboil but then I never do if I can help it.
    x Anne
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd never thought of doing this with new potatoes... hm... :)

Anyway, there are some hints, tips, and coating recipes in the link below:-

All you ever wanted to know about potato wedges
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have roasted jerseys in their skins before - they have a waxier texture than old potatos, but are yummy. I can't see why wedges wouldn't work.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're lovely made from new pots......sometimes we cook them in a foil bag to make sure they dont burn on the outside.....normally in olive oil and fresh garlic....yummy
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure