Mr and Mrs K's New Journey to a Debt Free Life.

Options

Comments

• Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alex, you are a fantastic dad. Please stop putting yourself down. Dog walked, off to bed. Not in the worst of huffs, but wish you'd be kinder to yourself xxx
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you, Dansmam. I don't do anything exceptional though, just try to be the best I can, like any parent should.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sunday 8th March, 2015.

Dear Diary,

As this diary has become more a savings / general rant diary, I have decided to start a mortgage free diary which I will be trying out over the next few weeks. Here is the link for anybody interested: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5192886

Not sure whether I will carry on posting on this diary or not as they do seem rather dedicated to the cause in mortgage free and I've got used to seeing familiar names on here, so I may be back. :D Not with debts though, I'm not that committed to the cause. ;)

Yours Faithfully,
    Alex.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a brain wave and I wonder if this would be a good compromise. Rather than paying for prep school, what about suggesting to your parents, that they put that money away for little K. Then when it comes to his university education he can do whatever degree subject he is passionate about without having to worry about student debt. Would that work.

And the only way you can find out about the pre prep and prep places is if you ASK. The school that is, ask them what would happen if you didn't take up the pre prep place with regards to getting into prep later. Then you will know for definite.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Furthermore, I do not get on with my in-laws and have no real need to listen to their opinions regarding something they know very little, if anything, about.

That's pretty mean Alex :( have you ever thought that this might possibly be how Mrs K. feels about your parents?

I'm lucky that I get on really well with my in-laws and I hope OH gets on with my mum. I'd be really hurt if I found out he'd said something like the above quote :(

On a happier note, I'm really glad you've (I think :P ) decided on the village school for Little K even if it's only for a few years. You've shown again that you're a great dad and will go with what's best for him :)

I do like Chev's idea re university too :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Of course it's a great idea but I'm almost certain that Alex's parents (or his inheritance when LittleK is 18) could afford to pay for both so not an either/or for them.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    I had a brain wave and I wonder if this would be a good compromise. Rather than paying for prep school, what about suggesting to your parents, that they put that money away for little K. Then when it comes to his university education he can do whatever degree subject he is passionate about without having to worry about student debt. Would that work.

And the only way you can find out about the pre prep and prep places is if you ASK. The school that is, ask them what would happen if you didn't take up the pre prep place with regards to getting into prep later. Then you will know for definite.
    chev

Thanks for your advice. :)

My son will not have to worry about student debt, anyway but talking to my parents about paying for university is a bit of a sore subject, I'm afraid.

Yes, I do need to ask the school and explain the situation.
    That's pretty mean Alex :( have you ever thought that this might possibly be how Mrs K. feels about your parents?

I'm lucky that I get on really well with my in-laws and I hope OH gets on with my mum. I'd be really hurt if I found out he'd said something like the above quote :(

On a happier note, I'm really glad you've (I think :P ) decided on the village school for Little K even if it's only for a few years. You've shown again that you're a great dad and will go with what's best for him :)

HBS x

HBS, my in-laws have no doubt said much worse things about me than that. Even not taking my personal feelings into account, I doubt you would want the input of somebody that not so long ago asked me if Homer was Latin? :mad::rotfl::eek:

Admittedly my wife does think my parents interfere a little too often but I respect their opinions and so does she on matters such as education.

I think we have decided the village school would be better for our son in the short term, after taking into account his reluctance at nursery level.
    maman wrote: »
    Of course it's a great idea but I'm almost certain that Alex's parents (or his inheritance when LittleK is 18) could afford to pay for both so not an either/or for them.

You are correct, maman.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • FlacosFloozie
    Options
    Hi Alex,
    It does sound like little K will be happier at the village school for now. At his age I think that an environment where he's comfortable is the most important thing. You can reassess things in two years. You might decide private schooling is better then or you might find the village school suits him really well but you can't know that at this point. I think being able to make friends locally and pop home for lunch now and again sound like big advantages that will help him adjust to being at school.
    By the way, I'll look out for your diary on mfw. I'm over there too now and its not all serious you know ;)
    MFW 2024 £0/7500 Mortgage £129,500 Jan 22 Final payment June 38 Now £99,801.75 FP May 36 Emergency Fund £17,500 100% Added to ISA 24 £0 Save 12k in 24 #31 £0/20,000 Debt Free 31.07.14
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Alex,
    It does sound like little K will be happier at the village school for now. At his age I think that an environment where he's comfortable is the most important thing. You can reassess things in two years. You might decide private schooling is better then or you might find the village school suits him really well but you can't know that at this point. I think being able to make friends locally and pop home for lunch now and again sound like big advantages that will help him adjust to being at school.
    By the way, I'll look out for your diary on mfw. I'm over there too now and its not all serious you know ;)

I'd play that one by ear when he gets there Alex and make no promises in between. AFAIK very, very few children go home for lunch from any school these days and if he wants to be part of the school community it may be better that he stays.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Alex,

Thank you, flacosfloozie. :)

I do blame myself for the fact he would rather be at home than spending time with his peers, yet I also dread the day when he's independent enough to survive public school. During these past six months or so I wonder whether it would be good for him to have a sibling which is something I'd not considered previously. It won't happen though.

My diary on mortgage free is not going particularly well as I just don't know what to write. :o
    maman wrote: »
    I'd play that one by ear when he gets there Alex and make no promises in between. AFAIK very, very few children go home for lunch from any school these days and if he wants to be part of the school community it may be better that he stays.

I've sort of already made promises that he'd have lunch ready upon getting home and we'd have a quick ten minutes on violin and piano before going back. It is one of the reasons why he's keen on the village school.

How do you think it would affect him being part of the school community? Apparently my mother used to go home from a similar village school for lunch and had friends. They don't seem to do much during lunch as the extra curriculars are after school.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills