Mr and Mrs K's New Journey to a Debt Free Life.

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Iwillsucceed: Thank you. :)

As for the house situation, my wife has already threatened to pack my and our son's suitcases before now. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Alex
    Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I have a complaint!!! For reasons that escape me now I stumbled on your diary a few days back and it was such compelling reading it has seriously compromised my ability to contribute to work and home life until today when I reached this last page. I have even taken lunch breaks away from my desk (unprecedented) to keep reading. Like others I have wondered from time to time if you're a work of fiction, but as time's gone on and you've obviously got more involved iin other things and your posts have slowed down I've become convinced you are a real, unusual, but genius debt-busting person. Oh, and in my world unusual is a compliment by the way.
    So the complaint is that I've now run out of diary to read and may well have to go to the library...
    Seriously, congratulations on the focus getting rid of your debt and all the best with Mrs K hope she stays on board and gets over the bmw obsession.
    DM
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you, Dansmam. I cannot say I'm really sure why people seem to think my rather mundane everyday life is interesting enough to be any work of fiction but I'll take that as a compliment. :rotfl:

As for being a "genius" debt buster, I certainly hope so and that this carries forward to the saving. What I'm saving for, I'm not entirely sure at this point apart from it would be a nice goal to one day be able to be able to call myself "self made".

I will be carrying on with the diary or perhaps moving over to mortgage free as I am reading that board more these days. The adventure is not over yet. ;)

Regarding the BMWs, I'd have her no other way. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Happy post Alex, and spring is around the corner. You live in one of the most beautiful places in Britain, I bet it looks great on these sunny winter days. I am enjoying your diary (as always) and I look forward to seeing what you and your family decide to do next.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 March 2015 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Happy post Alex, and spring is around the corner. You live in one of the most beautiful places in Britain, I bet it looks great on these sunny winter days. I am enjoying your diary (as always) and I look forward to seeing what you and your family decide to do next.

Spring has not sprung in the county yet, it's been snowing again! However, I really like the sunny winter days (and snowy ones for that matter).

Unfortunately, I have not been good with the record keeping over the past few days and have a little to catch up with. My finances have been on somewhat of a downwards trend these past few days :mad: and I'm struggling to find the motivation. That said I have promised myself I will have it up to date by the end of tomorrow.

As for what to do next, I don't really know and seem to be a little stuck. The strange thing is I really don't want to spend money at the moment, I want to reinvest it and see just how much I can make. Seem to be turning into my father, he always used to say when he was a "rich man" he'd buy himself a Bentley. Well, he's not exactly poor, runs a 20 year old Jaguar and still hasn't bought himself the car.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alex. You need no more cars. Believe me. If you keep reinvesting in bargains you, and possibly only you, know you can sell on at a profit, you will be debtbuster extraordinaire and mf before Mrs K can say bmw upgrade. You've done it:T, you can do it again :T:T, you will do it for life.Mrs K and the aged PS won't know what's hit em:) and best of all, little K will have had loads of fun times with his dad. Get on it, now, please. I want to read the diary of your journey to outwwitting the system/banks/schools of all varieties, costs and uniforms, and families of all varieties. I'd like to see you just being you please:T. It's better than the other characters in the Alex story I don't think is just a story. What can you sell tomorrow, or do you have your eye on something to buy. If so, what'll you be making on that?? Come on Alex, backing you all the way:T:T:T
    DM
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Dansmam wrote: »
    Alex. You need no more cars. Believe me. If you keep reinvesting in bargains you, and possibly only you, know you can sell on at a profit, you will be debtbuster extraordinaire and mf before Mrs K can say bmw upgrade. You've done it:T, you can do it again :T:T, you will do it for life.

Thanks for the motivation, things are difficult sometimes and when things start to go in a downwards spiral, I find it hard to look at the positives. Business never seems to stay static and is always moving in either an upwards or downwards trend for an amount of time before getting better or worse. This February just gone has been a fantastic month and I'm afraid it's over with for March, should not look at it like this, I know.
    Mrs K and the aged PS won't know what's hit em:) and best of all, little K will have had loads of fun times with his dad. Get on it, now, please. I want to read the diary of your journey to outwwitting the system/banks/schools of all varieties, costs and uniforms, and families of all varieties. I'd like to see you just being you please:T.

Not really sure I've got it in me to outwit the "system". :rotfl:
    It's better than the other characters in the Alex story I don't think is just a story.

Not really sure what this is means?
    What can you sell tomorrow, or do you have your eye on something to buy. If so, what'll you be making on that?? Come on Alex, backing you all the way:T:T:T
    DM

At the moment, I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow. If today is anything to go by a day of not facing the world is in order but I've promised myself that I'll get the records done and a few other things. Clearly, there's no rest for the wicked.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just want to put my oar in about the parents house. I really understand about you wanting to be able to care for your parents when they get infirm. I have absolutely wonderful in laws. We stayed with them when we sold our house and I had our second baby. I couldn't have made it through without them, as I had quite severe post natal depression, and a baby that wasn't sleeping.

HOWEVER like I said my in laws are fantastic, we get on really well and I love them to pieces. Can you say that the relationship between your wife and your parents is the same. From other posts there seems to be a fair amount of carping going on in that relationship, and I would guess that they are 'polite' to each other rather than being friends.

So now can you see why your wife would be so dead set against moving in with your parents? She is not just being horrible I would imagine she can't think of anything worse, when the reason for doing it isn't an emergency situation and only temporary at that. There are other ways of caring that don't involve moving in. Funnily enough lots of children care for parents but don't 'move back home' to do it.

There is adapting their house to make it easier for them. There is making sure that they can access professional social care. There is making time for them (like you already do, by the way I would be pretty pis*ed if I had to spend EVERY nearly Sunday at my inlaws), so that you can help with any issues. You can do alot this way WITHOUT moving in.

Your parents seems pretty hale at the moment. The last thing you want to do is say in 10 years time (when little k will be a stroppy teenager - trust me on this), move into a situation that doesn't make anyone else happy.

You are not giving your own house a chance by putting off stuff to do because you aren't going to be living in it long. That means it isn't a welcoming haven for you NOW. So doing the work and sorting out the fabric of the house is something you should do for YOU ALL for now, so you can enjoy a peaceful place after a weary day.

Whilst I haven't agreed with all of your OH's actions I am with her on this one.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Here here Chev :T.

Was thinking about you going home last night Alex as they were interviewing the author of this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reasons-Stay-Alive-Matt-Haig/dp/1782115080
    You had a good February - invest a few pounds in yourself.

GG x
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Granariesgirl
    Options
    Hello,
    Haven't been on here (MSE) since the end of November - doing my best ostrich impression about what I need to do financially, I suspect...:o

And lookee here, what have I found? A debt-free Alex? Can this be true - shurely shum mishtake!! :eek: :cool:

Many, many congratulations Alex - you have done amazingly well. :T :j :beer:
    Now I'm going to have to catch up on the loads of interesting stuff that went on while I was "away"! :p

Take care all.
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family