Comments

• tracytcb
    tracytcb Posts: 41 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    danrv said:
    tracytcb said:
    Can't beat simplicity.
    Your Unidare sound similar to the Quantum. Constant fan noise when it is on during the day. No noise at all from my old heater. 

No. Beginning to think that the simpler TSR heaters would be better for my heating.
    Old stock still available, and a lot cheaper.
    I need multiple units and ideally some sort of overall control, hence considering Quantums as they’re WiFi compatible.
    Creda TSR would be manual only but if just one supply and a simple input and output, they would be easier to install and operate.
    All the modern ones now are fan assisted it seems. 
    The Unidare is in a cupboard so fan noise can only be heard through the grills in the wall.
    For the Quantums to operate via a phone app you need to purchase a hub which costs around £135 or more.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tracytcb said:.
    For the Quantums to operate via a phone app you need to purchase a hub which costs around £135 or more.
    Yes, sorry. Did know that.
  • tracytcb
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So I did some further investigation (called Dimplex)

The fan uses only 11w (not kw) power so shouldn't cost much to run. Boost options will obviously use a lot more as that is also creating heat, not just drawing it from the stored heat. Boost mode apparently also pushes heat to store inside the heater whilst it is running. I did notice though, that you can change the setting for boost mode to only used stored heat, but if there is nothing stored then you will get nothing out. lol.

The Quantum works out how much to store overnight based your settings for the timer and temperature for the following day. So if you adjust the timer, so you are saying you don't want it to come on at all the following day, then it won't store any heat. I guess it stores the maximum if you set it to home all day.

The heater itself gives you data on what energy it uses. I panicked when it said 14kw for one of the days. But, this is off-peak electricity which would have been drawn by my old heater anyway. I set it for out all day for yesterday and it show only 2.9kw for the off peak storage. It takes account of the amount of heat already stored and your timer and temperature for the next day, and only tops up overnight on what heat it already holds.

So now my main issue is the vent at the top back of the heater where some of the stored heat escapes. Would be nice if that went into the room instead of into the wall. Perhaps some kind of heat deflector is available, like for radiators?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The figures you are showing 14 kW and 2.9 kW are units of power whereas if you want to do proper calculations you need to use energy which is measure in kWh.  I suspect you actually mean energy, ergo 14 kWh, meaning your heater used 1 kW for 14 hours or 2 kW for 7 hours.
  • tracytcb
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Le_Kirk said:
    The figures you are showing 14 kW and 2.9 kW are units of power whereas if you want to do proper calculations you need to use energy which is measure in kWh.  I suspect you actually mean energy, ergo 14 kWh, meaning your heater used 1 kW for 14 hours or 2 kW for 7 hours.
    Yes. Sorry Kwh.
  • danrv
    edited 2 November 2020 at 5:07PM
    Options
    tracytcb said:
    So I did some further investigation (called Dimplex)
    So now my main issue is the vent at the top back of the heater where some of the stored heat escapes. 
    Did they explain anything about this? 
    Maybe it’s just from the main board and not the storage section but I wouldn’t want to heat a room until I needed to.
  • tracytcb
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It doesn't heat the room from there. The main heat comes out of the grille at the front at the bottom. There is just some heat escaping out of the top vent when it charges up overnight. They said that it cannot be adapted. I suggested that the vent would be better on the front so any heat from it (even if just a small amount) goes into the room and not into the wall. I'll take all the heat I can get. Lol.
  • danrv
    edited 2 November 2020 at 5:43PM
    Options
    tracytcb said:
    It doesn't heat the room from there. The main heat comes out of the grille at the front at the bottom. There is just some heat escaping out of the top vent when it charges up overnight. They said that it cannot be adapted. I suggested that the vent would be better on the front so any heat from it (even if just a small amount) goes into the room and not into the wall. I'll take all the heat I can get. Lol.
    Ok thanks. Sounds like normal operating heat and quite minimal.
    Looking forward to fitting these if I ever get around to it. My Unidare heater is forced fan 
    delivery so the Quantums would do the same but more efficiently.
    Currently, a lot of heat is lost in the cupboard where it’s housed. 
  • tracytcb
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    danrv said:
    tracytcb said:
    Ok thanks. Sounds like normal operating heat and quite minimal.
    Looking forward to fitting these if I ever get around to it. My Unidare heater is forced fan 
    delivery so the Quantums would do the same but more efficiently.
    Currently, a lot of heat is lost in the cupboard where it’s housed. 
    Yes Quantums also use a fan. You can hear it but it is very low noise. This pushes the heat out the front grille.
  • danrv
    Options
    tracytcb said: 
    Yes Quantums also use a fan. You can hear it but it is very low noise. This pushes the heat out the front grille.
    Good to know. Just wondering if you’ve decided to keep it now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback