This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds great. DD just did a photo showing competition. No wins though.
    its the taking part that counts...and better luck next time :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    Lovely meal in pub last night with friends. And hurrah plate wedding gift arrived today so popped into village and bought gift wrap and then took gift over to the couple and they loved it.
    Whilst in village I noticed a big issue seller. Walked past and said hi on way to buy gift wrap, on way back, I stopped. I have often thought our village a little 'mean spirited' so I bought a copy and was quite humbled by the chat with the woman. Now, I had just spent £7 plus on sellotape, gift wrap, gift tag and a ream of paper that were all needed and the £2.50 on the Big Issue seemed a small deal given the wedding gift and yet, talking to the seller, I got that it was a big deal to her. Am thinking of posting on the village website encouraging the villagers to support her by buying a copy.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    You are lovely Watty.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are lovely Watty.

Seconded xx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Watty1
    Options
    You are both kind. I'm not so sure about that. I know from experience how easy it is to sink into the pit of despair but honestly ...I watched a DIY SOS yesterday and was exasperated. A family had fallen on hard times and two of the four had spiralled out into despair. Now, I could easily see how they could not finish the build with no money and no prospect of work .....but honestly could they not have pulled together and stripped wallpaper and then used freecycle to get some paint? And cleaned the mould off with hot water and bleach so the daughters asthma was not so bad? Am not so sure I am lovely at all as I was so exasperated with their apathy.
    Yes I am lucky to have a good income - but - am I really? I work really hard even though I often admit to faffing about :rotfl: and am often to be found in the office at 9 pm. Mr Watty works hard too. I have survived some really tough times, before meeting Mr Watty where I've had very little to make the ends meet. Somehow a way forward has always been found,. And I'm not lovely at all, I just chatted to a woman selling the Big Issue, found a little of her story and admired her. Because there she is standing on a street corner in a very unfriendly village trying her hardest ....and that deserves applauding and encouraging

(climbs down off soapbox now)

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watty, you're lovely in the *real* sense, and I completely agree. I don't know anything about the DIY SOS peeps, so I can't comment, though I know how little people with depression can do for themselves - but I get the sense that for you its about helping people to help themselves? "The harder I work, the luckier I get" is something I'm often reminded of on here ... exactly what you're doing now :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    sense that for you its about helping people to help themselves? "The harder I work, the luckier I get" is something I'm often reminded of on here ...

I love that saying KC. Thank you

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And I still think you are lovely!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don’t work to hard- Life is to short- make sure you’re happy first and foremost! #morebadMSEadvicefromfiregirl!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position (Jan 2024) : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Watty1
    Options
    Firegirl wrote: »
    Don’t work to hard- Life is to short- make sure you’re happy first and foremost! #morebadMSEadvicefromfiregirl!
    not bad advice at all :) See next post!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback