June 2014 Bride and Grooms

Options

Comments

• my_definition
    Options
    Haha i hadnt even thought about a moving van! Another cost tonadd to the list.

im rather annoyed about the bus the original plan was to do taxis but mum pointed put they may not have 12 taxis on midday on a saturday. My friends thought people could make their own way but i think thats not great when you consider the cost of the day i dont want people moaning about it or getting lost for the sake of £170. Ive a quote down to 150 not, must have sent of for about 10 quotes and only had 4 answers. The man next door to ohs aunt owns a bus and im hoping that he will do us a deal considering the length of the journey but ive been moaning at oh to get his contact details for like 2 months so im not holding my breath.

the kids party bags sound like a good idea, weve only about 6 kids going, 3 under 3s and then there like 8, 11, 13 and 15 or something so havent thought about them.

Keep me updated on the home brew it sounds interesting! Our drinks are included in our package so not worth us doing it but it sounds quite interesting.

i think romes a good place for honeymoon, oh wants to visit pompay which i think is doable as a day trip but its a long day so im not sure. We would be leaving the following tuesday i think because theres only 2 flights a week but i wouldnt want to be leaving right away. The last thing you need 8n your wedding day is thinking oh no i didnt pack x for tomorrow. I think a day or two to relax is a good idea.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    buy wedding dress from SPAMbridal.com

No contact address on the website.

Address on domain registration hidden by proxy.

Very likely that anyone ordering would either get no dress or some cheap Chinese tat.

Reported as :spam:
  • scmp
    scmp Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Reported as spam as well :)
    I got all excited that there was another June wedding!
  • Ebany
    Ebany Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine is a June wedding! :) Booked in for June 5th (I keep saying 6th cause June is the 6th month - I'm terrified I'll manage to book something in wrong)

So far we have booked the venue, registrars etc, catering, and photographer (a friend of mine who is semi-pro, so she counts as a guest as well). I've chosen my dress (at 5x the budget I set myself, so thats being paid in installments from my personal fun money for the next year!) and got my first fitting in a few weeks, and got my shoes. I've ordered our invites but we need to tell them the wording before they will print (bought them with a voucher about a month ago before the code expired). We also picked up a crate of champers on a half price deal.

Still need to sort out flowers and venue decoration, accommodation, wine (I think his dad is going to do this for us), makeup and hair for me, and suits for the boys.

We are having a really small do (only about 25 guests) and only from 12-5 - civil ceremony followed by a 3 course meal. With numbers that small we didn't see any point paying to hire somewhere for a whole evening so we are just going to get a holiday let cottage and whoever wants to join us for a few after the main event can come back there with us.

I've set a budget of £8k, which we have (or will have) in savings, so no getting in debt. I had whittled it down to only just over £6k, but then the dress happened...whoops. I'm not having any bridesmaids, and we aren't bothering with a fancy car (I get a room to get ready in at the venue, so I'll probably be turning up in jeans and a t-shirt). His parents are kindly helping us out with a couple of things, mine, reasonably enough, have said they already paid for one wedding for me, so its down to me to pay for this one.

To add to the stress we are also looking at buying our first house. Nothing like keeping things simple!
  • runawaybride
    Options
    hi hoping i can join you for support over next few months.
    we are getting married in secret lol so im organising it all myself.
    we have been together 10 yrs have 2 kids and a large family who would 'unintentionally' take over so we decided we wanted the wedding to be about us. we will phone everyone afterwards to tell them and have a big reception (on a budget) but when we say our vows it will be me OH the kids and 2 witnesses perfect.
    anyway because no one knows i cant ask for help/advice.
    so far iv:
    booked venue (gretna green) and paid deposit
    booked photographer as part of package
    booked hotel and paid deposit
    bought my tiara lol a bargain new from ebay and gorgeous
    but thats it iv got so much to do
    and im in a panic about my dress iv seen some online but not sure if i dare risk it incase their awful and fall apart but dont think i can afford what i want in a shop. what does a wedding dress from a shop cost?
    iv done 3 things right in my life and their all perfect
    :grouphug:DS1 (1993) DD (2011) DS2 (2012):grouphug:
    :j married 16 june 2014 12:30pm :j
    cc: 266.89
    holiday still to pay: 549.90
  • my_definition
    Options
    hi hoping i can join you for support over next few months.
    we are getting married in secret lol so im organising it all myself.
    we have been together 10 yrs have 2 kids and a large family who would 'unintentionally' take over so we decided we wanted the wedding to be about us. we will phone everyone afterwards to tell them and have a big reception (on a budget) but when we say our vows it will be me OH the kids and 2 witnesses perfect.
    anyway because no one knows i cant ask for help/advice.
    so far iv:
    booked venue (gretna green) and paid deposit
    booked photographer as part of package
    booked hotel and paid deposit
    bought my tiara lol a bargain new from ebay and gorgeous
    but thats it iv got so much to do
    and im in a panic about my dress iv seen some online but not sure if i dare risk it incase their awful and fall apart but dont think i can afford what i want in a shop. what does a wedding dress from a shop cost?

The dress depends on what your looking for. My dress is a sample so yes some people have tried it on but its in perfect condition and was considerably less than it would have been at full price. It may be an idea to have a look at them. There are also discount stores which have say last years styles (who would know) such as cobblestones in liverpool where i nearly went (not recommending them as such but theres a few about, more in england than scotland)

Theres places like monsoon aswell who do lovely floaty gowns if you like those styles.

i would say if you are ordering from a store your starting to cut it neat for ordering in.

What about things like flowers, transport, rings, cake? Theres a lot of things you dont need to do but people add on. We werent going to do cars but then they were included in our package.

sorry that sounds like an essay just trying to help. Your plan sounds exciting and lovely. Where in gretna are you going? We had looked there at some places. Are you going to give people a few days notice to get an outfit for your 'party'. That would be my only thing about the plan because i wouldnt have anything to wear, unless you dont want people really dressed up.
  • my_definition
    Options
    Ebany wrote: »
    Mine is a June wedding! :) Booked in for June 5th (I keep saying 6th cause June is the 6th month - I'm terrified I'll manage to book something in wrong)

So far we have booked the venue, registrars etc, catering, and photographer (a friend of mine who is semi-pro, so she counts as a guest as well). I've chosen my dress (at 5x the budget I set myself, so thats being paid in installments from my personal fun money for the next year!) and got my first fitting in a few weeks, and got my shoes. I've ordered our invites but we need to tell them the wording before they will print (bought them with a voucher about a month ago before the code expired). We also picked up a crate of champers on a half price deal.

Still need to sort out flowers and venue decoration, accommodation, wine (I think his dad is going to do this for us), makeup and hair for me, and suits for the boys.

We are having a really small do (only about 25 guests) and only from 12-5 - civil ceremony followed by a 3 course meal. With numbers that small we didn't see any point paying to hire somewhere for a whole evening so we are just going to get a holiday let cottage and whoever wants to join us for a few after the main event can come back there with us.

I've set a budget of £8k, which we have (or will have) in savings, so no getting in debt. I had whittled it down to only just over £6k, but then the dress happened...whoops. I'm not having any bridesmaids, and we aren't bothering with a fancy car (I get a room to get ready in at the venue, so I'll probably be turning up in jeans and a t-shirt). His parents are kindly helping us out with a couple of things, mine, reasonably enough, have said they already paid for one wedding for me, so its down to me to pay for this one.

To add to the stress we are also looking at buying our first house. Nothing like keeping things simple!

were in the process of buying our house, long story short its a charity that own it and theyve taken a loan of us trying to be nice and our entry date is now 15th June 2014, 13 days before the wedding!!!! So i feel your pain

Are you going somewhere posh for your meal? Our budgets 7k and were having 60 day guests and up to 150 at night. Mind you i think prices vary depending on where you are in the country.

Looking forward to the updates ladies.

my parents meet the future mother in law on saturday. Managed to avoid it for 7 years but the day is finally nearly here. Not looking forward to it at all.
  • runawaybride
    Options
    The dress depends on what your looking for. My dress is a sample so yes some people have tried it on but its in perfect condition and was considerably less than it would have been at full price. It may be an idea to have a look at them. There are also discount stores which have say last years styles (who would know) such as cobblestones in liverpool where i nearly went (not recommending them as such but theres a few about, more in england than scotland)

Theres places like monsoon aswell who do lovely floaty gowns if you like those styles.

i would say if you are ordering from a store your starting to cut it neat for ordering in.

What about things like flowers, transport, rings, cake? Theres a lot of things you dont need to do but people add on. We werent going to do cars but then they were included in our package.

sorry that sounds like an essay just trying to help. Your plan sounds exciting and lovely. Where in gretna are you going? We had looked there at some places. Are you going to give people a few days notice to get an outfit for your 'party'. That would be my only thing about the plan because i wouldnt have anything to wear, unless you dont want people really dressed up.

im after quite a big dress lol strapless a-line possibly a 'church' train and some kind of embroidery/beading i think im going to have to look at ebay unless im lucky enough to find a sample dress. we are getting married in the blacksmiths shop and the hotel is only 5 min away so OH will drive with DS1, DD and DS2 and i will get a taxi with my niece. iv enquired about bouquets from someone local in gretna and also a hairdresser who will come to the hotel. we are planning the reception for august so people will have plenty of notice we were going to do it in july but OHs cousin is getting married in july and i dont want to spoil her big day and we are also already going on hols in july. it means i get to have two weddings lol. :j the reception is the headache im planning a local church hall which has a bar for an evening do with a buffet and disco which sounds fine but its lots to organise on my own OH is clueless lol and its what is going to cost the most. little bits like room decor, welcome drink bridal favours etc all of which i really want but its going to be tough to get on budget. im only going to get married once so i want it to be special but i dont want to end up in debt.
    PS: good luck with the mother in laws xx
  • Ebany
    Ebany Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    were in the process of buying our house, long story short its a charity that own it and theyve taken a loan of us trying to be nice and our entry date is now 15th June 2014, 13 days before the wedding!!!! So i feel your pain

Are you going somewhere posh for your meal? Our budgets 7k and were having 60 day guests and up to 150 at night. Mind you i think prices vary depending on where you are in the country.

Looking forward to the updates ladies.

my parents meet the future mother in law on saturday. Managed to avoid it for 7 years but the day is finally nearly here. Not looking forward to it at all.

The meal is at the same venue as the ceremony - no hanging around for ages wondering when things will happen, its going to be a little rushed if anything getting in ceremony, photos and food in 5 hours. The catering is coming in at just over £1k with the crockery hire included, which is more than I would have liked, but with small numbers it ends up being more per person as you lose the economies of scale.

We are getting married in Kent, which seems to be quite an expensive place to get hitched. Even with a restricted budget I still wanted a lovely old building for a venue, so I think we did well with what we found (here). I'm very impressed at you managing so many guests for £7k!

The houses we are interested in buying come available weekend after next. They have huge interest in the development so we just have to put in an offer and see if we come out on top. Fingers crossed things will all work out as then we can get the moving done well before the wedding - otherwise there are more being released in Feb and May next year, but we are really keen to get moved!

Hope the weekend goes well! We had a BBQ at the start of September to get everyone together. Other than that I don't think they will have to encounter each other again until the day :)
  • runawaybride
    Options
    well iv now booked the reception venue local church hall with bar. and also got 12 bottles of champagne for 'welcome drink' from tesco deal cost £54 instead of £144 so im happy with that. we need to try and do the whole wedding for about 2K so if anyone sees any deals shout up lol. hows everyone else doing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts