How long do you wait to be served?

Options

Comments

• Treevo
    Treevo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Options
    If no one's spoken to me within 15 minutes, I'll get up and go to wherever they've disappeared to and find out what's going on. There's been a few instances of us being ignored because we had our eldest with us and everyone assumes you'll be a nightmare. He's not because he's always been in restaurants and knows how to behave, but it doesn't stop the looks of horror.

I've found you do get much better service in individual-owned restaurants rather than the chains and I try to avoid anywhere that employs a lot of teenagers.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    If it was frankie & bennies, they are slow regardless of where you go to, regardless of how busy, and I think it makes it a bit more bearable if you 'accept' that that is how they are....

....or you could of course dine somewhere where you don't have to heckle them to get fed! At least you've experienced it now and can take it into account next time!
  • polskiegowLondynie
    Options
    It really depends if its cooked from ordering or just heated up.

I think most chain type business' who do preheated food then you'd expect it to arrive 20-30mins after ordering. An hour in a place like that certainly seems to be a long time without a warning.

I've also been to places when food has arrived too quick though so I guess its never going to be perfect for everyone.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2013 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Treevo wrote: »
    If no one's spoken to me within 15 minutes, I'll get up and go to wherever they've disappeared to and find out what's going on.

I've found you do get much better service in individual-owned restaurants rather than the chains and I try to avoid anywhere that employs a lot of teenagers.

The thing was we were given menus when we went in seated quickly and drink and food order taken quickly...so it wasn't a case of feeling initially ignored...I wonder if once they take your order theres a bit of an expectation that you wont complain if the food is delayed or that you are less likely to leave once you've placed an order..

I agree too about individual non chain resturants...and had a lovely meal out over the bank holiday in one such place 2 courses served efficiently and without either a slow or rushed feel and actually thinking about it,probably the same time frame...but there dont seem to be many located on retail parks near cinemas which is what we needed last night!!!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Lucy_Lastic
    Options
    This subject makes me wonder about the professional kitchen shown on TV in such programs as Masterchef. The chefs seem to be working in a frenzy to get the dishes out on time and there is a great emphasis on not keeping the customers waiting.

Is this just top class establishments or is it all put on for TV?

Some place I have been to I can imagine the chefs just standing around chatting, examining their nails, going out for a fag, then perhaps preparing my meal in their own good time.....:rotfl:
  • Angelicdevil
    Angelicdevil Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    For our departmental Christmas lunch, we went to a lovely (and usually very prompt) local pub. The place wasn't particularly busy but it wasn't quiet either, and they only had one waitress and one bar girl on.

We were shown to our table, then the waitress disappeared, so after 5 mins we chased her down for a drinks order. These arrived 15 minutes later. After several requests for menus and none showing up, we ended up walking out after being there for 45 mins.

Such a disappointment.

Usually, I'd wait around 30 mins if no time constraints but anything longer and I'd be walking.
    I have a simple philosophy:
    Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2013 at 12:10PM
    Options
    This subject makes me wonder about the professional kitchen shown on TV in such programs as Masterchef. The chefs seem to be working in a frenzy to get the dishes out on time and there is a great emphasis on not keeping the customers waiting.

Is this just top class establishments or is it all put on for TV?

Some place I have been to I can imagine the chefs just standing around chatting, examining their nails, going out for a fag, then perhaps preparing my meal in their own good time.....:rotfl:

this was by no means a professional kitchen of the masterchef ilk..but we were by no means paying a premium price!!!!!!
    Of course if your paying for a starter what we should have paid for the whole meal then my expectation would have been sooo much higher....but then again we went as a family of 3 to a chain establishment and as such I expected to eat within a reasonable time frame and together.

Although if you were going to treat yourself to somewhere really posh to eat ...only to find its been taken over by masterchef for the day and youve got "shane from boyzone" or Les denis(or anyone else for that matter) cooking lunch for you would that make you less or more inclined to eat there and indeed would you be more critical of what was served up....now theres a thought!!....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    The worst service I ever received was at Nando's in Southampton. I ordered my food before my two friends and sat down. The restaurant had about another 10 tables in at the time, and 4 servers, so not busy. I saw my food cooked and go up on the hot plate, and it sat there. Sat there some more. My friend's meals came. Sat there some more. It was the only meal up there! I had to go up to the servers who were all at the tills chatting, and ask them to bring me my food.

When they brought it over, it was missing the halloumi cheese I'd ordered. For another 20 minutes, not one person came over to ask how our meal was or whether there was anything needed. I had to go up again, and ask where it was. The girl I spoke to said she'll check, and when I sat back down they asked for my receipt to confirm that I'd actually ordered it! By the time I got the halloumi, I'd eaten the rest of my meal. In total, it took 40 minutes from the point of ordering to get it - it doesn't take 40 minutes to grill halloumi in a near empty restaurant!

I rarely complain but this time I felt I had to, so when I got home I went to use the online contact form on the Nando's website, and the link was faulty so I couldn't even complain to them! I ended up using Twitter to find their email address and I haven't been to Nando's since.
  • BrookesAndrew
    Options
    I went to Frankie and Bens and I had quite a wait. Ordered the drinks, starters and main came before the drinks. When the main got delivered the women who was serving us who was different from the girl who took our drinks did finally notice and got us our drinks. Food was nice but the price you pay I don't think it was the good.

I paid by card so after she saw me getting my card out the smiles and thank you and everything all stopped as she saw she was not getting a tip. I would of rather through the five pound note on the ground than give it to them. What you pay for, food and service is not great. Rather just buy some stuff from a shop and make a meal for me and my girlfriend.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    I went to Frankie and Bens and I had quite a wait. Ordered the drinks, starters and main came before the drinks. When the main got delivered the women who was serving us who was different from the girl who took our drinks did finally notice and got us our drinks. Food was nice but the price you pay I don't think it was the good.

I paid by card so after she saw me getting my card out the smiles and thank you and everything all stopped as she saw she was not getting a tip. I would of rather through the five pound note on the ground than give it to them. What you pay for, food and service is not great. Rather just buy some stuff from a shop and make a meal for me and my girlfriend.

The card and tip seems a bit strange, as the card machine normally asks you if you want to include a tip, or if it doesn't you normally just leave cash on the receipt tray? I do anyway, after making sure the server actually gets the tips and not all into the pocket of the owner that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure