Reclaim CPP article discussion

Options

Comments

• cgphillips8
    Options
    Hi,

I had ID aware and credit card protection with my bank. I just rang up the CPP number to ask for a claim form but was told there is no information on record in regards to me or my account.
    How do I proceed ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today's post came and no CPP letter.

I rang them up asking what's going on. They said the letter was raised on 10th April. No issue with the post around here.

They have requested the letter to be reissued and if there is a cheque, that is cancelled and reissued. Said to be 4-8 weeks. Let's hope its quicker than that! Some posters on here had letters/cheques issued within 2.5 weeks of sending the form.

Also if anyone else tried to pay the cheque in they cannot and go to a cheque cashing place, they cannot either.
  • jozxyqk
    jozxyqk Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2014 at 1:12PM
    Options
    I went through the CPP process and got a refund a couple of weeks ago, thanks to the advice on this site. :j

As the account I had dated back to the year 2000 I wrote to the card issuer, NatWest, requesting redress for 2000-2005. Used the MSE template letter. A cheque arrived on Friday! :j

I was expecting this to really drag so well done NatWest and thank you MSE!
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
  • sheilepet
    Options
    cpp_victim wrote: »
    I have just spoken to CPP on the phone and they at least were able to tell me which card it was related to, but as you found they do not want to give out information on what was specifically wrong with the cover. Again the guy indicated that not much detail needed to be given.

So is this stuff about using template letters a waste of time?

Is there a much simpler and more general reply that can be given. For example, "I want compensation because it is clear from the fact you sent me a letter that you know I am entitled to such a payment."
    Sounds like a good idea I think I might try this because i really am at a loss
  • TheSaintVII
    Options
    I posted my form back 13 March but I still haven't heard anything. Has anyone heard of a claim being rejected by CPP?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They have eight weeks..
  • burntfingers_2
    Options
    I received a cheque for around £83.00 and my hubby has received a cheque for £89.00 not bad at all.....:o)
    Total debt £[STRIKE]37864.78 [/STRIKECOLOR=purple][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1 [/STRIKE][STRIKE] £31681.03[/STRIKE] -[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]£16700
    Paid off so far.....[STRIKE]£15495.84[/STRIKE]£20364
  • Rotti
    Rotti Posts: 232 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DiscoSet wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if after receiving their CPP cheque anyone has persued a claim with their bank/building society/financial provider for CPP premiums pre-2005 and been successful?

I have been on to several people at HSBC and they are adamant that they don't have to pay out pre-2005 even though all the advice is to pursue it - CPP and the Ombudsman (officer not CS agent) have told me they should pay out but they say that 10 year period was not regulated so compensation is not applicable.

More conflicting advice regarding the Tax refund and I suspect thousands of other non-tax payers will be the same. I got my cheque on 14th April and they had paid HMRC £14.30 on my behalf. I was told by CPP when I contacted them that this was what was agreed on the original scheme for which I voted. I didn't react to the part about interest being subject to tax as I don't pay any but they said it would be "easy to reclaim it" - WRONG! I contacted HMRC 2 weeks ago and finally got the form today but couldn't see where to fill it in (always used to have an accountant for that and this was a reminder of how worth the money he was!) so called them up for guidance. AND HERE'S THE STING IN THE TAIL...........because the date of the letter from CPP is AFTER April 5th the tax falls in the 2014/15 tax year and even though I haven't pay tax for years they have told me to wait for a year so that I can fill in the miserable interest on my savings in case I owe them anything! So will I bother? Haven't decided yet but I'm guessing many won't so HMRC will get to pocket the dosh. :mad:
    Interestingly though their opinion was that it should not have been paid on my behalf.
  • ThriftySteve
    Options
    HI,

I had the letter from CPP regarding Card protection. Filled it in and got a very small cheque. However, I also had ID protection with them. No mention of it from CPP and this was the majority of the premium I paid to CPP. I believe this was also missold. I think it was sold to me after I got a credit card from HSBC back in the nineties.

What should I do? Accept the payment for the card protection and start a new claim or refuse the card protection payment? I have no idea.

How do I make a claim for the ID protection if I have had no letter regarding it. ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it was sold to me after I got a credit card from HSBC back in the nineties.
    The CPP scheme does not cover any sales prior to 2005. If you want to complain, you'll have to write to HSBC and hope they still have records going back that far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure