• Worth noting that this is only England and Wales x
  • vale22
    vale22 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the post
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks. Just found some fascinating stuff.
  • Fojo
    Fojo Posts: 100 Forumite
    Thanks!! Just found our street!! Sadly all of the houses had names rather than number so dont know which house is which but interesting anyway! Have emailed neighbours
  • Fojo wrote: »
    Thanks!! Just found our street!! Sadly all of the houses had names rather than number so dont know which house is which but interesting anyway! Have emailed neighbours

How do you just find a street? It's easy on the Irish Census to do that but I can't work out how to do it on this one

Cheers!
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2012 at 11:05PM
    paulskathy wrote: »
    How do you just find a street? It's easy on the Irish Census to do that but I can't work out how to do it on this one

Cheers!

Didn't know you could do this by street, but just had a go and it is possible.

Just put your address in the location and leave all the other fields blank. For example: Station Street, Dunston, Herefordshire

It will be bring up results that mainly match the street, although some don't and each person that is in each household gets a seperate listing.

You can also put the address in the 'keyword' field.

Once you have a correct record you can use the forward and back pages at the top of the record (under 1911) to advance through the rest of the street.
  • myrtleturtle
    myrtleturtle Posts: 8,206 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2012 at 9:54PM
    Every family has its World War I heroes

Discover yours with our FREE* WWI Service,
    Pension & Medal Records, 9th-12th November
    http://www.ancestry.co.uk/free?o_iid=53184&o_lid=53184&o_sch=Inbound

*These records will be available to search for free from 00:00 GMT on 09.11.12 until 23:59 GMT on 12.11.12. To view these records you will need to register for free with Ancestry.co.uk with your name and email address.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    free again until 23:59 GMT on 14th October 2013
  • hannah899
    hannah899 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    JAG wrote: »
    Didn't know you could do this by street, but just had a go and it is possible.

Just put your address in the location and leave all the other fields blank. For example: Station Street, Dunston, Herefordshire

It will be bring up results that mainly match the street, although some don't and each person that is in each household gets a seperate listing.

You can also put the address in the 'keyword' field.

Once you have a correct record you can use the forward and back pages at the top of the record (under 1911) to advance through the rest of the street.

I just found writing in my ancestor name it just came up with the full street.

Ive been doing mine and been in touch with a few people who gave me clues into finding results that seem a bit tricky to find.
    One said, When the census was done a lot of people where great writers and spellers so they would fill them in then a man would collect them, they would rewrite them then someone else would rewrite them in to the big national one which you see as it all has the same writing. so some do have spelling mistakes so if you don't panic if you cant find someone just try alternate spellings.

Also be prepared because they have unblocked the deaf dumb invalid section. so it will show up if it was marked on the original family census
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth:rotfl:

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • Tiree
    Tiree Posts: 44 Forumite
    This is truly amazing. I was able to see results for both my grandma and grandad. My gran was still at school but my grandad was already a working man at 15. Interestingly both their mothers were widows left with 4 children to raise. Can't have been an easy life raising 4 children in poverty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure