We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2013 at 9:50AM
    Options
    Trying to put my picture of a red squirrel feeding on my peanut holder.. not sure it's working?

Pity as it's a lovely pic!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cestlavie wrote: »
    goldfinches are eating me out of house and home. try and get nyger seed on offer when i see at wilko.

This year, for the first time, we've had goldfinches feeding in the back garden. Bought a nyger seed holder, hung it up & they disappeared!

A couple of weeks later, I spied them in the front. I rushed out the back to get down the feeder & put it in the front - never seen them since!

Hopefully, they'll return soon.
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    This year, for the first time, we've had goldfinches feeding in the back garden. Bought a nyger seed holder, hung it up & they disappeared!

A couple of weeks later, I spied them in the front. I rushed out the back to get down the feeder & put it in the front - never seen them since!

Hopefully, they'll return soon.

We put some nyger seed out and they ate a little, but seemed to eat more of the sunflower hearts. Hoping they come back again this winter, they're beautiful!

I want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZyfsKYv7A

I bought a mealworm and suet block today and a new feeder for it, no one is going near it yet!

too many comps..not enough time!
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    I also wanted to ask the more experienced twitchers when I could expect more birds back in the garden - when it gets colder I guess? October?

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    they do start to gather a bit more roundabout then - but it can still be warm in October. But if you have berrying shrubs, they'll come in for those especially as the insects die off.

We have several apple trees in the garden & leave the windfalls - depending on the weather they can disappear before the end of November or hang about until January.

Ah, looked at the video, Chick - I'd love that!
  • trollopscarletwoman
    Options
    I love feeding garden birds.

My list include green woodpecker, house sparrow, magpie (not quite as welcome), crow, jackdaw, collared dove, goldfinch, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit,redstart, wren, mistlethrush, wood pigeon. feral pigeon,robin, seagull-yes, I kid you not, don't know which type, best of all a sparrowhawk landed on my deck clutching a mouse in its talons.

As to cost of seed if you have a local horticultural society they often sell bulk bags of seed say 20-25 kg. Mine is cheaper than B&M, Wilkinson.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    IMG00013.jpg

Testing
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    not seen that bird before Ken! :)

• Gers
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    IMG00013.jpg

Testing

That's a FABULOUS picture... thanks for making me laugh so early in the day!

:rotfl:
  • Gers
    edited 4 September 2013 at 8:37AM
    Options
    STILL trying to upload pic - I can see the url of the pic but not the pic itself - how can I do it please????? I have it in photobucket.

EDIT - seems I did it.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0629.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family