We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You can hear a woodpecker calling out at the entrance to the local nature reserve.
    They are called 'gatekeepers'.

Makes me smile..... "here he comes, after the blackberries again"
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    With regard to the food, I find some birds appreciate the range of seeds, while others simply dig their way through the lot, spilling it, in search of their favourites, usually the black sunflower seeds.

One way I've found to discourage this is to include a band of just sunflower seeds in the feeder, so the ones who like nothing else have easy access to them and they don't spill the rest of the seed digging them out.
    import this
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Over the winter I'm either going to buy or make some fat balls. Do I need a fat ball feeder (that sounds funny written down) for them?

too many comps..not enough time!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am huge fan of Sparrows and we didn't have any about 5 years ago but once I started feeding they soon came. Just now I reckon we have 60 first thing in the morning but I think many commute from the village along with the doves.

The only problem is the Sparrowhawk is around every few days to keep them all on their toes.
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    I am huge fan of Sparrows and we didn't have any about 5 years ago but once I started feeding they soon came. Just now I reckon we have 60 first thing in the morning but I think many commute from the village along with the doves.

The only problem is the Sparrowhawk is around every few days to keep them all on their toes.

Wow 60 sparrows! How many feeders do you have? What an amazing number.

I used to think they were quite boring, but I love them now. They all stick together and let each other know when there's food available, and I have seen them work so hard feeding their young this year. They're great.

• Ken68
    Options
    I melt lard , 29p from Tesco and add bird seed and when hard just spoon it out daily onto the bird table.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 August 2013 at 8:36AM
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I boil a handful of basic white rice for the birds, (40p kg in Asda/Tesco) of a morning and again in the afternoon. Soon goes and costs next to nothing.

I would never have thought of rice, thank you, I'll try some!

Always have some porridge, at the very least, for the birds & get dried fruit when on offer.

Was lucky enough to catch a Firecrest in the garden, earlier in the year :)
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    We saw some bats last night in the garden and heard so many owl calls. Heard loads at dusk and then loads again at first light. Any idea which owl it was likely to be? I've heard the classic "twitt" "twooo" ones before, which I think is a tawny owl, but these were much screechier. Any ideas?

• Ken68
    Options
    Don't know Chick....do you live anywhere they do Autumn Watch.
    Could be practising to be on t.v. lol
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    They were doing their best! So loud!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income