We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Do they eat courgettes , have millions
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We've just installed one of those see through plastic feeders (flat backed) on a trellis near the window. The birds are loving it and ignoring the hanging feeder they used previously. We reckon that they feel more secure as it's stable and can scan the whole area while feeding. One reason to look forward to winter, their antics can keep me amused for ages!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Do they eat courgettes , have millions

Sorry I don't know! The fussy !!!!!!s in our garden probably wouldn't, they don't eat tomatoes/blackcurrants or bananas, only grapes..

How lovely eenymeeny. What are you feeding them, just seeds?

too many comps..not enough time!
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    OOh that makes me look like I swore very badly! I just said bu**rs , didn't realise that was so naughty :)

• paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    You can order seed in bulk online if its too expensive elsewhere. Poundstretcher also do bird seed. I feed my local crows and seagulls, also starlings, blackbirds, pigeons. Seagulls will eat bread, pasta, noodles. I got a massive box of noodles from approved foods and thats been keeping them going nicely for a while.

I feed birds all year round, not just in the winter.
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    I was very excited to see 13 sparrows (including a few juveniles) in our hedge yesterday. There were about 6 sparrows in our garden in the winter, so they are doing well raising their young. It was great to see and we had about 8 on the feeders at once.

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Here the starlings come back to the same nest every year then the swifts take over same nest and then the sparrows use it, presumably for the winter. My neighbour often hears them moving the furniture.
    And for several years we had house martins making their mud pies in the eves.
  • flossie217
    flossie217 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    I had 2 goldcrests as regular visitors last winter, had never seen one before. I'm hoping they will be back this coming winter.
    I find Wilkinsons to be the cheapest where I am. Just bought a bag of Pets at Home brand and they don't like it as much.
    I saw a late sparrow fledgling being fed in the garden today.
    Earlier this year I was lucky enough to watch a spotted woodpecker sticking its head out of the tree and being fed by its parents. I had to go back every day to have a look. Beautiful.
  • jenie_2
    jenie_2 Posts: 491 Forumite
    Options
    We get the occasional great spotted woodpecker on our bird feeder, hacking away at the fat balls, they are a really beautiful bird. We regularly get sparrows, starlings, robins, great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits and chaffinches, also ground feeding birds such as blackbirds, mistle thrushes, ring necked doves and wood pigeons. Only last
    night we were stood in the pitch dark of our back garden listening to owls twit-towooing, didn't see them though.
    I have to say the most exciting bird to visit our garden was a sparrowhawk last winter, it sat on our back fence for about 20 mins, none of us dare move to get the camera in case it flew off.
  • chickaroonee
    Options
    I would love to see a woodpecker and a sparrowhawk! Must've been fab.

We've got about 3 or 4 sparrow fledglings here, keep putting out worms for them which are being devoured!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport