Options

Comments

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2013 at 9:56PM
    Options
    http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=776&pf_id=8935`

reasonable £2.99 delivery charge.

not so big tp stand out in the bathroom and not too small to prohibit use.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2013 at 10:39PM
    Options
    thanx! I will compare them all and make a decision soon!
    Barns (as I call him) seems to be settling in well. he is training me up nicely!
    as we haven't had any grandkid sleepovers this week (last week knackered me - I aint as young as I was!) I have made an effort to play with him a couple of times a day. he isn't so keen on mornings - five mins and he is 'off' for a lie down!
    afternoon after grooming session and his treats seems to suit him. he loves to play 'ping pong ball thrown upstairs'! Your aim has to be within a foot of him or he ignores it! (luckily I have a dozen ping pong balls). but when they do get in target he loves to bat them back down the stairs! or if they land on the landing he chases them around - tough luck if they end up in the bathroom! they don't get batted downstairs! he likes to play and he needs exercise being an indoor cat! he likes catnip but it has to be 'Fresh' from the baggie! yesterdays catnip is boring!

he also follows me around! I have a 'cat stalker'! today he came up to me and stuck his face right in front of mine. and just seemed to 'inhale' me! then sauntered off. after that whenever he comes near me he rubs his face against mine - I know that's a cat greeting. so I think he is getting a little bit fond of me!
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2013 at 10:40PM
    Options
    I know Barney is on holiday at the moment but if he is with you next year we had cat mint growing in the garden our boy went nuts for.

He used to lie in a pot on his back and pat the flowers whilst looking a little stoned!

This stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-NEPETA-CAT-MINT-SEEDS-DROUGHT-TOLERANT-PLANT-200-SEEDS-/130735640458#vi-content
  • meritaten
    Options
    ty - I think Barns isn't such a devotee of catmint as most cats are. I put some from the baggie in front of him and he walked away! however the little toy it is supposed to go in is a favourite of his! perhaps Barney prefers the fresh as opposed to the 'dried'! if he is still being 'fostered' by us I will certainly grow some for him. indoors if poss - I don't want ALL the neighbourhood cats visiting our garden!
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Meritaten, dad keeps saying that maybe the kitten we took in (dad found him abandoned but mum said he couldn't keep him due to that pesky busy road) is causing Scrappy's stress. I'm thinking maybe he's hankering after getting the kitten back especially as Scrappy is much more Grandma's little boy than Grandad's ;)

Do you think there's a possibility you may take Barney in permanently? Is it a scenario you've considered?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My cat has (had - she wouldn't use it!) this one from Zooplus http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_filter/300153

it is massive :eek:

We have this one, yes it is massive, and somewhat awkward to clean when it needs washing pout, but it is surprisingly compact looking in the space we have it in.
  • meritaten
    Options
    I am considering the different litter boxes - but today Barney decided to join me in the bathroom and jumped in the bath. A stern 'Barney NO!, got him jumping back out and using his litter tray. so I haven't had to clean the bath today!
    GS phoned and asked if he could come up and play with Barney, lol, I am arranging his play dates now! yes of course! Barney needs a playmate! GS is also having a sleepover tomorrow night.

he is grooming more and more and is letting me touch and finally use the tangle brush on tummy area today! only for about ten seconds but - it feels like a triumph! it really isn't too bad - small mats which if he lets me do it again regularly will easily be eradicated. I am used to this as my last cat was a British Long-hair and he was so dreadfully matted when I got him the vet wanted to shave it all off! it felt like he was covered in Brillo pad! I persuaded vet to let me try and I had those mats out in a few weeks! Nicki loved being groomed though and would sit for ages purring happily. I have to persuade Barney and bribe him with treats.

as for keeping him - I would in a heartbeat! BUT, this cat loves kids - he misses them I think. I dunno, will re-assess in a few weeks, and of course OH may not want to keep him. I have to take his wishes into account.
  • meritaten
    Options
    early days yet his missus - scrappy may realise he needs to win over grandma (granddad is a pushover)! but if you can train the new one not to go near the road - then perhaps a swap isn't out of the question?
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    early days yet his missus - scrappy may realise he needs to win over grandma (granddad is a pushover)! but if you can train the new one not to go near the road - then perhaps a swap isn't out of the question?

I'm not sure I want to give up any of my cats really. I think Scrappy's going to have to go back to the vets for some more "chill pills" as even being at mum's doesn't seem to be helping. I do wonder though if he's missing the company of other cats (he's one of 5 I have) so maybe that's stressing him now. Hmm...I wonder if I can send Harley kitten over to keep him company?;)

Is there a reason you've put the litter tray in the bathroom? I was wondering if there's somewhere else you could put it that's more private, under a table in a spare room perhaps?

I recently bought a hooded one from PAH as Harley kept digging and speading litter ALL over the house! It's similar to this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/summer-brights-red-hooded-litter-tray-114803 and is quite a decent size too.
  • meritaten
    edited 23 August 2013 at 9:22PM
    Options
    the bathroom is the only room apart from the kitchen which isn't carpeted! I also always leave the door open as the landing is dark otherwise - even in broad daylight. I wont have a litter tray in the kitchen - yeeeuuuuck! some kitchens are large enough that the litter tray is unobtrusive - but mine is tiny! Barney has no prob with the tray being in the bathroom - but he seems to have got this idea in his head that the bath is actually a giant slippery litter tray!

GS came up this morning to play with Barney - he did for a while then conned OH into taking him over the park to play football.
    came up tonight for his sleepover and seemed perfectly happy playing with Barney until he accidentally kicked him. Cat was fine - hardly reacted, but GS was in floods of tears! reassured him Barney was not hurt but apparently he has heard some 'horror' stories of cats dying after being hurt (a friends cat was kicked to death). it took ages to calm him down and Barney got way over his daily quota of 'treats' when I tried to show GS that the cat wasn't bearing a grudge. GS insisted on going home though. Poor kid - he really didn't hurt Barney but he felt so bad!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure