Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    There are on cashback contracts, but what is "good" depends on your expectations and requirements.
  • Tino_G
    Tino_G Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered a Moto G (4th Gen) and having it delivered this week but now I just need to pick up a good SIM only deal :). Been looking around and checking hotukdeals but there isn't currently any deals that stand out. Looking for 5GB+ data allowance on a network that allows tethering, minutes and text are not so important but 300+ should be sufficient.

This best deals I'm seeing are through 3rd party retailers like mobiles.co.uk and mobilesdirect. The cashback they offers seems really good so I'm slightly skeptical they will happily pay out. Has anyone here had experience of these sort of contracts and can recommend them? Forgetting to claim back the money wont be an issue as I will make sure to set up calendar reminders!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that they have chosen to alter the contract - I wouldn't expect to return the handset.
    boatman wrote: »
    If you have a handset plan rather than a sim only plan, and leave before 6 months you have to give back the handset.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 July 2016 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Tino_G wrote: »
    Just ordered a Moto G (4th Gen) and having it delivered this week but now I just need to pick up a good SIM only deal :). Been looking around and checking hotukdeals but there isn't currently any deals that stand out. Looking for 5GB+ data allowance on a network that allows tethering, minutes and text are not so important but 300+ should be sufficient.

This best deals I'm seeing are through 3rd party retailers like mobiles.co.uk and mobilesdirect. The cashback they offers seems really good so I'm slightly skeptical they will happily pay out. Has anyone here had experience of these sort of contracts and can recommend them? Forgetting to claim back the money wont be an issue as I will make sure to set up calendar reminders!

Have had deals thro Mobiles.co.uk, MobilePhonesDirect and Smartphone Company and cashback has been paid promptly and with no hassle (easy online bill submission at required times - some even set out clearly a schedule of which months bills to submit). Just don't add any extras or change tariffs after taking out the deal as that would risk nullifying the cashback (it's fine to change numbers eg if you want to port an existing number to your new sim so long as you log the number change on their site).

For the amount of data you need I would suggest looking at the Vodafone Red 8gb deal (Unlimited calls & text as well) on Mobiles.co.uk which is net £9 a month after cashback plus you can choose premium Spotify or Now Tv or Sky sports mobile. I got this one - it was a no brainer seeing as I was already paying £9.99 for Spotify- and despite a lot of slagging off of Vodafone on other forums I have found service, coverage, etc to be fine. VF also allow tethering and also you can use some of data allowance (2gb in this case) in Europe.
  • Meeten
    Meeten Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Taking cue from the deal on mobiles website, I called up VF.

I got

10gb data
    500 min (I'm not really a talker)
    unl txts

This was £17pcm, with a 30% discount, £5.10 (apparently the most that Josh could offer), which brings it to £11.90pcm.
    I'm not good at redemptions, so this worked fine for me and I took it up.

The second line (my wife, more of a talker) was

2gb data
    unl talk
    unl text
    passport (EU roaming)

This was £18pcm, 30% discount (£5.40), making it £12.60pcm

I was prev paying £13.50 + VAT (£16.20) on each, total of £32.40pcm

This is now £24.50 and the deals are better suited to each line.

Hope this helps someone if they decide to change.
    One day I want to be the pigeon...... and not the statue!
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'll take a look at some other websites.

I was interested in the Asda deal, then at the CPW owned mobile company (the name has gone out me head!), and even the Virgin deal, but looked at them all and all state their prices WILL go up in July of each year.

I've been with Tesco foer the last nearly 5 years. No price rises, still on the same 30-day rolling contract as I was on when I started:
    £10 / 1Gb / 500 mins / 5000 texts.
  • andypa1
    andypa1 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm paying £15 a month after cashback to vodafone for 20gb and spotify.

my contract ends at the end of July so I phoned last month and she offered me the same for £12.50 a month, fantastic!!! now in July I phoned back and they can only do 12gb for £16.50.

I only need 12-15gb but bt have put their price up to £20 for 15gb after a few weeks on offer.
    So have prices gone up recently?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Not just about the price. Offers change all the time. It also depends on who you speak with - but with Vodafone in particular I would never trust any deal they offered over the phone without written confirmation first.
  • Jake0307
    Jake0307 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco offer some pretty good SIM-only deals.
    :T :money: :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport