Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    RubyBish wrote: »
    I note that HUKD have hijacked your idea and are censoring any comments mentioning your website. Good luck and thanks for all hard work.

They also delete comments about better deals which do no contain their referral links.

Poor performance for a "Deals site"

It`s more about them making money these days.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an old Nokia 6233 that I keep in the car for emergencies. It used to have a non-expiring Vodafone PAYG SIM, however, I must have left it too long between uses as when I came to try it a week ago the SIM was no longer valid.

So I looked in the database and thought that the non-expiring 3 SIM was the ideal replacement, I duly ordered one and it turned up yesterday. Unfortunately there are two problems: 1) there's currently no 3 coverage where I live (it's been down since 21st July apparently), and more importantly 2) I didn't know that the phone had to be 3G, which the 6233 isn't. So even when I took the phone to an area where there was a 3 signal it still wouldn't work.

So, my question is, what is the next best alternative that will work with an EDGE/GPRS phone and has non-expiring credit? I don't need any data, just basic phone/text service. The phone was unlocked while I was in Cambodia so it should be fine with any network.
  • Lazarus_Blackstar
    Lazarus_Blackstar Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2016 at 11:15PM
    Options
    I'm with 3 and rang them last week to ask for my PAC as I was considering going to another provider.
    Was on a SIM only deal for 12 months which ran out back in March, so was on rolling 30 day.

Used to get: 600 mins, unlimited texts & 1GB of data for £10.

Due to me wanting to leave, they offered me a better deal than the provider I was thinking of going to. (which I've actually found out since, that the provider I was considering isn't even 4G. :( 3 even told me this when I was wanting to leave as they asked who I was thinking of going to.)

Now get: Unlimited mins, unlimited texts & 4GB of data for £12 discounted from £21 for being a loyal customer.

Tied in to a 12 month deal again but am happy with the deal they gave me to stop me from leaving.
    Got the same deal for my husband too as he was going to leave.
    Actually glad I didn't go with the other company as I've heard a few off-putting reports.
    "The truth is of course is that there is no journey.
    We are arriving and departing all at the same time."
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I have an old Nokia 6233 that I keep in the car for emergencies. It used to have a non-expiring Vodafone PAYG SIM, however, I must have left it too long between uses as when I came to try it a week ago the SIM was no longer valid.

So I looked in the database and thought that the non-expiring 3 SIM was the ideal replacement, I duly ordered one and it turned up yesterday. Unfortunately there are two problems: 1) there's currently no 3 coverage where I live (it's been down since 21st July apparently), and more importantly 2) I didn't know that the phone had to be 3G, which the 6233 isn't. So even when I took the phone to an area where there was a 3 signal it still wouldn't work.

So, my question is, what is the next best alternative that will work with an EDGE/GPRS phone and has non-expiring credit? I don't need any data, just basic phone/text service. The phone was unlocked while I was in Cambodia so it should be fine with any network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Pay-You-Card-Credit/dp/B0153RJE4M

Text STOP to 150 to stop the pack.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks Nifty, I'll need to take a look at the detail on the EE website when I have a bit of time as it's not clear from what's published on Amazon exactly what it costs (is it £1 a week or £5 a week?) and I'd need to get confirmation that it works in my phone. The good news is that I have an EE signal here as my main phone is on Virgin/EE.
  • Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My contract with voda ended recently so I spoke to their online chat team.

I was on unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 2gig data for £17/month
    I'm now on unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 4gig data for £10.80/month with 2 months free line rental, works out to £9/month

Hopefully someone finds this useful.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For umpteen years I used orange, then moved to life mobile for a few weeks, but went back to orange who by now were ee. Took out plan 9.99 for 250 mins,250 data etc as unsure what 250 data would give. Told I could increase. Not having used the net on phone before. With daughter on different time zone I now find insufficient data. Turned off all app data except messenger, but still almost gone. Allowance renews on 9th. Spoke to EE, but haven't been with them long enough to increase allowance/ improve tariff yet. Told them I am happy to buy myself out of contract.

They offered me 2GB, 2000 mins, unlimited texts, for £20 month, I said ok.

Read of better deal elsewhere, even with EE, so went back to them ( detentions). They told me I could cancel my due to start order and return to 250 MB and give me a £10 credit in case the next months usage runs over the limit allowance. BUT a week before that months allowance is due to end, call them again to see what offers are on the table as they change constantly.

The 5GB boost given now, wasn't available when I joined their home& broadband last November and the 16GB offer of £19 is for new customers.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2016 at 8:50AM
    Options
    Use wifi to talk to your daughter ?
    You have it connected to wifi at home ?

EE are expensive.

I would try to move to life or Virgin but these are 3G. Not 4G.

I guess you have a contract phone with them though?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »

EE are expensive.

I would try to move to life or Virgin but these are 3G. Not 4G.

I guess you have a contract phone with them though?

No Andy, bought my iPhone outright from them. When I was with life, they are 3G and couldn't use data as poor area. As for virgin, my son in law used their sim only before they moved to Cyprus. Yes, I use wifi at home always. But they tend to contact me several times each day and hot spots not great, or its me.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »

EE are expensive.

They aren't that expensive. What other network offers 4GB data, unlimited texts and minutes for £11.50 or 16GB data, unlimited texts and minutes for £19.99?

It isn't hard to get a good deal from EE.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport