Sky's NOWTV Box for £9.99

Gleek
Gleek Forumite Posts: 710
500 Posts
Forumite
edited 30 July 2013 at 5:59PM in TV MoneySaving
I've done a big search of the forum and haven't been able to find discussion of this aside from a competition to win one on the compers board. I hope it's in the right forum.

Sky have brought out a nowtv box for 9.99 that has the ability to air the NowTV stuff should you want a subscription, or catchup TV for some of the channels.

Comes with a HDMI cable, but is wireless and doesn't have an ethernet cable space.

http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/tvs-and-home-cinema/2013-07/29/sky-now-tv-box-review

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports-blog/The-NOW-TV-Box-is-here/ba-p/120022

Purchase from here: https://shop.nowtv.com/

If you purchase one DON'T set up an account for nowtv when you buy it. This is because a) if you take out the 30 day trial it'll start before you get it. I bought mine on Friday and it won't be delivered till at least tomorrow - almost a week of the trial gone if started before you get it if you don't have other platfoms to watch it on.

After some research I've happened across an offer that, if TOTALFILMOFFER is put into the nowtv website when setting up an account, you can have nowtv for £2.50 for 6 months which would take us over Christmas which IMO is another bargain. (website: http://www.nowtv.com/promo/totalfilm?DCMP=erd_july13_NowTV_Total_Film_04&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29) This HAS to be done by midnight 4th August 2013. (First payment taken at sign up)

Now TV feedback thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4465561&highlight=nowtv

ETA: plays iplayer, 5 on demand, spotify etc.

Cnet review - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/video-streamers/sky-now-tv-box-review-50011842/
Princess Sparklepants
«13

Comments

  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gleek wrote: »
    I've done a big search of the forum and haven't been able to find discussion of this aside from a competition to win one on the compers board. I hope it's in the right forum.

    Sky have brought out a nowtv box for 9.99 that has the ability to air the NowTV stuff should you want a subscription, or catchup TV for some of the channels.

    Comes with a HDMI cable, but is wireless and doesn't have an ethernet cable space.

    http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/tvs-and-home-cinema/2013-07/29/sky-now-tv-box-review

    http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports-blog/The-NOW-TV-Box-is-here/ba-p/120022

    Purchase from here: https://shop.nowtv.com/

    If you purchase one DON'T set up an account for nowtv when you buy it. This is because a) if you take out the 30 day trial it'll start before you get it. I bought mine on Friday and it won't be delivered till at least tomorrow - almost a week of the trial gone if started before you get it if you don't have other platfoms to watch it on.

    After some research I've happened across an offer that, if TOTALFILMOFFER is put into the nowtv website when setting up an account, you can have nowtv for £2.50 for 6 months which would take us over Christmas which IMO is another bargain. (website: http://www.nowtv.com/promo/totalfilm?DCMP=erd_july13_NowTV_Total_Film_04&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29) This HAS to be done by midnight 4th August 2013. (First payment taken at sign up)

    Now TV feedback thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4465561&highlight=nowtv

    ETA: plays iplayer, 5 on demand, spotify etc.

    Cnet review - http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/video-streamers/sky-now-tv-box-review-50011842/
    So if I bought this & used your code, I would get the attachment that allows me to get free on demand catch up services without subscription on an on going basis.
    Plus I would get a film service for £2-50 a month for 6 months.

    Am I signed into that for a year?
    How much is it normally?
    How do you access the films, do they come via the internet & the £10 attachment?
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Forumite Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    What is free to view from scratch, and do you need to register an account for that?
  • blanik
    blanik Forumite Posts: 120
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the promotion link but to be clear for everyone else it's 6 months of Total Film, not Sky Movies, so don't expect latest blockbusters!

    Sky Movies is only free for 30 days - but have ordered the box anyway.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I cant see any info on the type of films total film offer?

    http://www.totalfilm.com/

    The website is more like a cinema film review.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Forumite Posts: 1,603
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    blanik wrote: »
    ... to be clear for everyone else it's 6 months of Total Film, not Sky Movies, so don't expect latest blockbusters!
    Now I'm confused.

    This link - http://m.totalfilm.com/news/sponsored-total-film-reader-now-tv-offer-6-months-for-15 - seems to imply the offer is for Sky Movies via NowTV @ £15 for 6 months.
  • Gleek
    Gleek Forumite Posts: 710
    500 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2013 at 10:41AM
    MrsE wrote: »
    So if I bought this & used your code, I would get the attachment that allows me to get free on demand catch up services without subscription on an on going basis.
    Plus I would get a film service for £2-50 a month for 6 months.

    Am I signed into that for a year?
    How much is it normally?
    How do you access the films, do they come via the internet & the £10 attachment?

    You have to purchase the box (if that's what you mean) by attachment. It costs 9.99 and it comes recorded post from Sky/NowTV.

    You need a nowtv account to work the box whatever happens but you don't have to sign up to have the movies, you can just have the free things like spotify, i player, on demand 5 catch up, facebook etc.

    If you have nowtv without any offers it's usually £15 per month. The offer code offers it for just £15 for 6 months (ie - £2.50 a month).

    This is the main link for the offer: http://www.nowtv.com/promo/totalfilm?DCMP=erd_july13_NowTV_Total_Film_04&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29 It's not retrospective, you can't apply it after. You have to do it as you sign up BEFORE 4th August at midnight. If you don't put 'TOTALFILMOFFER' in, you don't get the offer.

    I don't have my box as yet (it should arrive today). However, the terms and conditions at the bottom states: No refund if you cancel Sky Movies Pass during the offer period. At the end of the offer period Sky Movies Pass renews at £8.99 for a month for 3 months, then £15 a month unless cancelled. Existing NOW TV subscribers or those who have previously enjoyed a free trial with NOW TV are not eligible for this offer. Not available in conjunction with any other NOW TV offer.

    So it is the full Sky Movies Pass that is included in the offer.

    It connects wirelessly via your router and streams the movies that way.

    You MUST cancel the offer at the end of the 6 months or you WILL be charged £8.99 for three months and then £15 a month there onwards until you do cancel it. From the sounds of it, you just set it up to not renew after the last payment of £2.50.

    Hope that helps.
    Princess Sparklepants
  • Gleek
    Gleek Forumite Posts: 710
    500 Posts
    Forumite
    blanik wrote: »
    Thanks for the promotion link but to be clear for everyone else it's 6 months of Total Film, not Sky Movies, so don't expect latest blockbusters!

    Sky Movies is only free for 30 days - but have ordered the box anyway.

    It's definitely Sky Movies and not total film.

    The terms and conditions state this.

    No refund if you cancel Sky Movies Pass during the offer period. At the end of the offer period Sky Movies Pass renews at £8.99 for a month for 3 months, then £15 a month unless cancelled. Existing NOW TV subscribers or those who have previously enjoyed a free trial with NOW TV are not eligible for this offer. Not available in conjunction with any other NOW TV offer.
    Princess Sparklepants
  • Anon1
    Anon1 Forumite Posts: 23 Forumite
    I don't undertand it "To celebrate the launch of the NOW TV Box we’ve teamed up with Total Film to offer you 6 months of more of the latest and biggest movies..."

    Is this offer for 6 months Sky Movies or 6 months subscription with Total Film?

    I can't seem to see any films listed on the Total Film website, it just looks like any other film review website.

    Also this link says Sky Movies have 36 of the top 100 UK box office films in the last 18 months. But no-where can I find the 36 movies listed.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gleek wrote: »
    You have to purchase the box (if that's what you mean) by attachment. It costs 9.99 and it comes recorded post from Sky/NowTV.

    You need a nowtv account to work the box whatever happens but you don't have to sign up to have the movies, you can just have the free things like spotify, i player, on demand 5 catch up, facebook etc.

    If you have nowtv without any offers it's usually £15 per month. The offer code offers it for just £15 for 6 months (ie - £2.50 a month).

    This is the main link for the offer: http://www.nowtv.com/promo/totalfilm?DCMP=erd_july13_NowTV_Total_Film_04&DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29 It's not retrospective, you can't apply it after. You have to do it as you sign up BEFORE 4th August at midnight. If you don't put 'TOTALFILMOFFER' in, you don't get the offer.

    I don't have my box as yet (it should arrive today). However, the terms and conditions at the bottom states: No refund if you cancel Sky Movies Pass during the offer period. At the end of the offer period Sky Movies Pass renews at £8.99 for a month for 3 months, then £15 a month unless cancelled. Existing NOW TV subscribers or those who have previously enjoyed a free trial with NOW TV are not eligible for this offer. Not available in conjunction with any other NOW TV offer.

    So it is the full Sky Movies Pass that is included in the offer.

    It connects wirelessly via your router and streams the movies that way.

    You MUST cancel the offer at the end of the 6 months or you WILL be charged £8.99 for three months and then £15 a month there onwards until you do cancel it. From the sounds of it, you just set it up to not renew after the last payment of £2.50.

    Hope that helps.

    Does the box connect to the sky+ box?
    Does it enable the sky+ box to connect wirelessly?
  • Gleek
    Gleek Forumite Posts: 710
    500 Posts
    Forumite
    No and no, Mrs E. :) It connects via a hdmi cable to the back of a TV.

    And Anon1, It's a 6 month subscription to nowtv which is this: http://www.nowtv.com/movies

    [typically, despite what Royal Mail said, mine still hasn't arrived as yet.]
    Princess Sparklepants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards