Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2018 at 10:21PM
    Options
    To be fair, you agree seeking recompense from any third party due to your inability to keep hold of your passport...?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I posted in 2017 about indirect flights to orlando from Heathrow, It was at the time that a storm had just passed through their Hub at Atlanta and all their flights got disrupted due to planes or crew being out of correct placement. Initial complaints fobbed me off saying as the delay or cancellation occurred in the states i wasnt due compensation. We flew as two parties one party got awarded compensation and the other party mine were left arguing the toss. We had to drive to our destination from atlanta as being easter they were struggling to find us a flight for days. We had a 6 month baby in our group at the time.
    Eventually even after putting the argument to them that we were on a single ticket and they failed to get us to our destination i was told to write to the ombudsman. This i did and after 3 months of waiting Aviation ADR came back and found in my favour. that was 7 weeks ago and i have heard nothing since. I am wondering what needs to happen.
    There were 7 in my party so its a significant amount of money.
    I dropped Aviation ADR a email a few weeks back but i am still awaiting a response.
    What do i need to do?
    Contact Delta Airlines again with the final response from Aviation ADR and ask them to pay up?
    or do i need to commence small claims court proceedings now to resolve this?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi zorber,

You need to push AviationADR hard, it's their job to recover your compensation. They have a business agreement with the airlines that they are contracted to help, where the airline agrees to pay up if the ADR company find in the passengers favour.

Obviously the airlines are reluctant to pay up and drag their feet, making it difficult for AviationADR, but they must resolve this for you.

Ask them for the timeline you can expect and keep pushing them all the way.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • c45arlo
    c45arlo Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Lot cancelled LO68 due to have departed Singapore at 0005 this morning. I was emailed the fact on January1 so no exceptional circumstances. I contacted customer services who refused point blank to rebook me on another star alliance carrier with availability at the time I received notification. The earliest they would offer was January 9th which is totally unacceptable. I refused a refund as this could affect a later claim. They refused to give reason for cancellation, refused to provide me with a written copy of my rights, and refused to accept rebooking at a later date of my choice as per article 8c. They cited fare paid as reason for refusing to rebook me on another carrier. I was fare class R (semi flex) booked in PE and paid in excess of £1000 back in April. I have lodged directly a 21 day LBA and await their response. I had to book another flight in Y with SQ as there was no availability left in PE. I fully intend to go to the small claims court with this unless they refund me my flight and pay the EU261/2004 compensation being an EU airline. Any further suggestions welcome.
  • JillHB
    Options
    Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and I'd appreciate any ideas/sharing of experience.

On 22DEC we were due to fly from Humberside to Düsseldorf (via Amsterdam) and then pick up a river cruise that night.

Whilst waiting at the gate to board in Amsterdam, our connecting flight to Düsseldorf was cancelled due to 'crew issues'. We were placed on standby for the next flights throughout the day without success, and in turn the airline were unable to get us to our final destination in time (we'd allowed ourselves 12hrs travelling time/contingency for what should have been a 50minute flight).

We explored rail as an alternative, however at this stage the airline advised our luggage would be delayed and couldn't confirm when it would be returned to us, or if we would receive it before the end of our holiday. Faced with the potential scenario of no clean clothes for the duration of our trip, we had no choice but to abandon it (our luggage eventually arrived after Christmas, 4 days later).

The airline have fulfilled their obligation under the Flight Compensation Regulation (providing overnight accommodation until they could get us home, refund of flight tickets and €250 cash compensation per passenger). However, our first travel insurance claim for the cost of the river cruise (there were 3 of us travelling, each with policies with different companies) has been declined due to it being the 'connecting' flight cancelled ....it if had been the 'first international flight from the UK' we'd have been covered. Having reviewed the policy document in detail, and also speaking with their claims team, our scenario is not covered in any of their policies, even under enhanced cover. I've now an uneasy feeling about the other 2 policies we are awaiting decisions on.

The flight tickets were purchased in good faith as a trip of Humberside to Düsseldorf with one airline, and if our luggage hadn't been delayed, with no guarantee it would be returned to us before Christmas, we'd have continued our journey by rail.

I think this post may be more a therapeutic way of me letting of steam, and a lesson learned, rather than there being other avenues for us to explore. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi JillHB,

If this was all booked separately by yourselves I fear you have come to a dead end.

If it was booked as a package there may be some hope under the new Package Travel Directive regulations.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/consumers/travel-and-timeshare-law/package-travel-directive_en
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • efus
    efus Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2019 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Hi All and a Happy New Year to all moneysavers.
    Haven't had to ask a question in here for a while, so hope I have remembered to post in the correct way. If not Im sorry! Ok Christmas get away was on 23/12/18 from Birmingham airport with Turkish airlines to Egypt via Istanbul. Incoming flight TK1969 was late arriving into BHX arr 16.06. By the time the aircraft was turned around we were ready for take off just before 18.00. At this point the airport lost air traffic control, and all flights were diverted/grounded. My flight TK1970 took off 20.20, this ment that we missed our connecting flt in istanbul.Airline provided hotel food/drinks, (had to buy 2 Turkish visa's @£20 each to take up this offer,and use my own mobile to notify our Egyptian hotel of our delay) and flew us out 24hrs later. I used Resolver and have now recieved a reply stating "As is the case in every other industry, unexpected issues may occur in the aviation industry, too, and we would like to share with you the fact that some of these happen outside our control.

In our investigation, we have determined that TK1970 flight was conducted with 3 hours and 50 minutes delay consist of 3 hours and 20 minutes due to operational reason and 30 minutes due to late arrival of aircraft due to delay in departure thereof at the previous station. In regard to this, we tried to reschedule your ticket with the next alternative flight as the procedure indicates and that you facilitate your journey via the TK0702 Istanbul/Hurghada on the following day.

In the event of delays due to situations that the airline can not prevent, may not be compensated regarding the regulations of Turkish Airlines which was generated due to the Civil Aviation General Management." Would be greatful on any thoughts on where to go next. Or should I just bite the bullet and instruct Bott & Co to deal with the case, as they may have a better chance of getting a positive outcome, rather than myself? Again shall be guided by the wisdom of this great community. Thanks Efus.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This was due to ATC shutdown at BHX which is extraordinary circumstances. You can ask Bott to handle it (there's nothing lost aside from the time it takes to open a case with them) but they will almost certainly drop the case at some point.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 January 2019 at 3:34PM
    Options
    It appears that if your incoming flight had arrived on time you would have flown from Birmingham before it lost ATC. As has been said Bott & co are probably best placed to take this on.
  • efus
    efus Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to you both for the feedback. As justice has posted about the delayed incoming flight, that is the same lines I was thinking on. Have passed it on to Bott & Co to see where it goes. Fingers crossed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback