🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

After the Work Programme

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BillJones wrote: »
    There are loads of jobs. If you can't find one, please stop blaming others, and work out how to make yourself employable.

Sanctioning you is a brilliant way to get you to do this.
    if i was sanctioned my jobsearch would instantly stop. any money i have left would go to paying for food etc.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    That is very true and it highlights one of my issues/potential problems I need to resolve. I have been unemployed for 6 years BUT I have not been looking for work all that time (there is a big difference) I gave up my job to become a full time mum my ex earnt a good wage to cover us, we didn't claim any benefits. He left, I now need to find work.

As far as a potential employer is concerned they see from my CV I haven't worked in 6 years, they may be assuming I have been looking for work for that long :eek: maybe I need to find a way to somehow put on the CV how long I have been job searching - that is the kind of individual help I need from the JC what to do in this situation.
    voluntary work or a college course could be something you could do that is recent on your cv.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    Looking at different jobs to me in totally different areas.

Like I say I have never applied for one on the site direct.
    but you are expected to widen your search. so there must be some that have an apply button that are suitable for you. i am not saying you are lying. i am just baffled that you dont seem to be able to come across any.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    voluntary work or a college course could be something you could do that is recent on your cv.

Thanks, college course I wish, I wanted to do an access course but the JC wouldn't allow it :(. Voluntary work yes you are right that is what I am looking into somewhere I can work voluntary in an office.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    but you are expected to widen your search. so there must be some that have an apply button that are suitable for you. i am not saying you are lying. i am just baffled that you dont seem to be able to come across any.
    Widen job search yes for jobs but no one has ever said I have to widen my search on the UJM. Have you been told this?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Thanks, college course I wish, I wanted to do an access course but the JC wouldn't allow it :(. Voluntary work yes you are right that is what I am looking into somewhere I can work voluntary in an office.
    its a long time since i went to college but unless things have changed you dont need the jobcentres permission so long as the course is less than 16 hours and you agree to miss it for a job interview and give it up for a job offer. you approach the college and enrol. it should be free but not sure about that. you can only ask. then inform the jobcentre you are doing a part time course.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    Ive done voluntary work and its never got me a paid job.
    :footie:
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    you've got it wrong. people are saying they are struggling to find something by themselves and they need assistance. assistance that works.

The staff are called advisors and they should be advising and helping. What is the point of them otherwise.
    :footie:
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    Widen job search yes for jobs but no one has ever said I have to widen my search on the UJM. Have you been told this?
    i think it goes without saying that once you widen your jobsearch that that jobsearch is done using all the usual sources which includes ujm. of course if you are applying for a wide variety of jobs elsewhere i guess you dont have to do that on ujm also but why wouldnt you.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    Ive done voluntary work and its never got me a paid job.
    yeah, it isnt a magical solution it just helps fill a gap on your cv.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport