After the Work Programme

Options

Comments

• red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    BillJones wrote: »
    Why do you think you are so unsuccessful at actually getting yourself back into work, then? YOu seem to be going through the motions OK, but I get the impression that it's been weeks, or even months, since you worked.

Have you worked out where you are going wrong yet?

its the economy not the individuals fault. The gvt should make and create more jobs and minimum wage should be increased.
    :footie:
  • MVG180
    MVG180 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    its the economy not the individuals fault. The gvt should make and create more jobs and minimum wage should be increased.

In an ideal world this would happen, but you have to think about it sensibly. Business is business and if firms can pay less or cut costs on labour they will.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

This is where job seekers need help (individual help) not sat in a room with loads of others (who are all going wrong for different reasons) and put in front of a DVD showing how to apply yourself at an interview, if you have ever watched one of these you will know how degrading they are to sit through.

I don't expect the JC to find me a job that is my responsibility but I do think they could help me find out what/where I am going wrong more.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you think you are so unsuccessful at actually getting yourself back into work, then? YOu seem to be going through the motions OK, but I get the impression that it's been weeks, or even months, since you worked.

Employers mainly turn me down as they deem the job too junior for me yet they advertise their jobs and make them something they are not.
    This is not a job for a junior as far as I can see but that's the feedback I have got

https://essence-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=349&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992386&company_id=30069&version=1&byBusinessUnit=NULL&bycountry=1&bystate=1&byRegion=GB%5FGREATER%20LONDON&bylocation=GB&keywords=&byCat=NULL&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=yes
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • iammumtoone
    Options

Its comments like that that give people the wrong impression of the unemployed :( The state of the economy is not helping but to totally blame that along with the government and not take any of the responsibility for yourself is not helping.
  • MVG180
    MVG180 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    AP007 I wish you luck with your interviews. If you are currently unemployed are you applying for jobs you can begin immediately whilst looking for a more career suited role? Sorry I am not very clued up with the JSA process.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    MVG180 wrote: »
    AP007 I wish you luck with your interviews. If you are currently unemployed are you applying for jobs you can begin immediately whilst looking for a more career suited role? Sorry I am not very clued up with the JSA process.
    I am looking at retail and admin, customer service and accounts where I have 20 yrs exp which seems to be too much for some out there,

I am not looking for a career now at all.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options

It clearly is not only the economy, given the number of people that I know that have no problem finding jobs. Some people are straight from one job to the next, whereas a few people are not.

Given the attitudes that are common on here, with people pushing back so hard, I think that increasing sanctions is probably the best way to go for those who really won't find a job after a few months.
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    Its comments like that that give people the wrong impression of the unemployed :(

No, I think that it gives precisely the right impression of people such as that poster. "It's not my fault, someone else needs to find me a job" is their pretty much constant refrain.

Fortunately it sounds as though the system is finding them out, and they'll see their benefits being cut before too long.

We know that most unemployed are not like he or she is.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    It clearly is not only the economy, given the number of people that I know that have no problem finding jobs. Some people are straight from one job to the next, whereas a few people are not.

Yes they do as it is easier to get a job if you are still employed or only been unemployed for a few months - that is not me making excuses that is a fact. Whilst it is not impossible for an unemployed person to get a job it gets harder the longer you have been unemployed.
    Given the attitudes that are common on here, with people pushing back so hard, I think that increasing sanctions is probably the best way to go for those who really won't find a job after a few months.

This explains why it is harder for the long term unemployed to find work due to the above attitude. I am not getting at you, you are not the first and won't be the last to hold this opinion. I just keep hoping that some are willing to give others a chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure