Search - does it actually work at all? (merged)

Options
2»

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sometimes when doing a search, if there are too many answers, it stops the search - then in tiny writing in the header bar tells you this - although it is hard to see - i thought the search facility wasnt working either, until i noticed this, and now understand why it wasnt bringing anything up
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad wrote:
    are you clicking on search on the bar below your name or on 'search this forum' ???

The "Search" in the menu bar, between New Posts and Quick Links. Have used both the dropdown and Advanced Search for things which I know are definitely there, and get no results from either.

Also tried using Search This Thread on this thread for Budapest, and *still* got no results. What is happening here??? :confused:
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    D.A. wrote:
    The "Search" in the menu bar, between New Posts and Quick Links. Have used both the dropdown and Advanced Search for things which I know are definitely there, and get no results from either.

Also tried using Search This Thread on this thread for Budapest, and *still* got no results. What is happening here??? :confused:

As I said in the post above, you can find things with google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aforums.moneysavingexpert.com+Budapest&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

but that's hardly ideal.

Just type in site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com
    then the word you want to search for
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I just tried budapest in search and came up with 17 hits :confused:
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D.A. wrote:

I got 53 posts ....................and 17 threads

sometimes you have to NOT use a capital letter .................try 'budapest'

not Budapest
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trafalgar wrote:
    I got 53 posts ....................and 17 threads

sometimes you have to NOT use a capital letter .................try 'budapest'

not Budapest

Lordy, it worked - that's bizarre. And then when I tried with a capital B after that, it worked too. But when I went into Advanced Search after that, the capital B didn't work, until I did a lowercase search - then it worked fine.

Thanks for that Trafalgar, but Martin, you really need to get your programmers to look into this one...
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D.A. wrote:
    Lordy, it worked - that's bizarre. And then when I tried with a capital B after that, it worked too. But when I went into Advanced Search after that, the capital B didn't work, until I did a lowercase search - then it worked fine.

Thanks for that Trafalgar, but Martin, you really need to get your programmers to look into this one...

oooohhhh maybe it's female and a little temperamental:D
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Search function also doesn't work for words with less than 4 letters - mdf being an example.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    loracan1 wrote:
    Search function also doesn't work for words with less than 4 letters - mdf being an example.

yes, I noticed that too. There's no way to search for a three letter word as a keyword like Sky which is a bit of a flaw - so you can't search for a thread on Sky TV for example as it classes them as two words that are both too short for the search function :confused:

I know the search facility is work in progress so I hope that the length of word problem will be sorted out eventually :)
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    redfox wrote:
    yes, I noticed that too. There's no way to search for a three letter word as a keyword like Sky which is a bit of a flaw - so you can't search for a thread on Sky TV for example as it classes them as two words that are both too short for the search function :confused:

I know the search facility is work in progress so I hope that the length of word problem will be sorted out eventually :)

you can add a wildcard (star) to three letter words to make them 4 letter word

e.g.

sky* tv
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family