PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks iammumtoone :)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    spent £13 on top up in mr Ts, did manage to get some sausages that are often sold out. If anyone shops at Mr T they have good quality (85% meat) sausages on the deli counter 6 for £2 (normally 60p each). Good price as they are nearly that much for 8 of the !!!! cheap brand ones.

Spent £13 means over budget for week 47.82/35 month 82.85/140.
  • sunset_gold
    Options
    Just to report my Italian Liver was delish.....I am amazed it came out so well as it was YS lambs liver bought December 2012 for £1.61, there's enough for me and OH to have it again tomorrow night (not confident enough to freeze it again!), recipe says double cream but had it with low fat creme fraise.
    SG
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Updated my signature tonight - had put it off all week as i knew how close i must have been getting. Cant believe that with 13 days left we have less than £8 left!

Panicking a little and going to have to start being a little bit more savvy over the next fortnight me thinks!

I budget for food but actually other than my bills that is all i plan for, and so when i work on a street full of take outs/SM's/cafe's and coffee shops and ive not taken lunch (because im travelling by bus and train for a little over an hour) my food spends go up and up! I think i need a separate budget for a few lunches here and there and maybe the odd mornings *bucks! Surely this is allowed :p

In addition to this - everything is so expensive! We have only cooked for 2 of us this month and already we have racked up almost £150!

Im going to go away, re-meal plan and get creative now ive had a good old rant.

On a lighter note- potato (and empty out the veg draw of old stuff) curry with a Naan bread went down well tonight followed by HM cheats Victoria Sponge. OH will be pleased when he gets home from work!:D

Hope everyone is having a good week - Its FRIDAAAAYY tomorrow!!!
    RC x

Ps. Did anyone win a Jamie book....
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »

Hope everyone is having a good week - Its FRIDAAAAYY tomorrow!!!
    RC x

Friday 13th :eek:
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feeling very :A tonight.

2 old leeks and some sprouty value spuds and a value onion turned into a pot of soup.

A bag of nine value peppers chopped and frozen.

An extra GF chicken Kiev frozen for another day. My 3 small chicken breasts made massive kievs for some reason and we only needed one each.

Jacket potato cooked at the same time to have for lunch tomorrow with half a tin of beans left in the fridge and the last bit of a block of cheese.

We are away for the weekend so I need to use up what I can. I will need to do a small shop tomorrow for hairspray and a loaf and lunch bits for next week. I have £5 in nectar points so will got to mr s to keep my costs down.

For our picnic on Saturday we will have the soup, some jj herb bread, HM ginger cake, fruit and a flask of tea. This should keep us out of the very tempting national trust tea room.;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meal plan done until payday

Tonight: Potato and red lentil curry & HM Cheats Vic Sponge

Friday: HM Pizza with chicken, peppers, sweetcorn, onion & mozerella

Saturday (Im in Uni all day and OH Working): Lunch - Pasta with Pea and pesto sauce Dinner - Salmon and Fresh pasta (& a sauce when i figure how to make one)

Sunday (Uni again) Lunch potatoe Salad or HM Quiche (recipe please anyone?) Dinner - Out of Freezer potato curry

Monday Lunch - Chicken and stuffing sandwiches Dinner - Chicken Kievs with HM wedges

Tuesday Lunch - Chicken & Stuffing Sandwiches Dinner - Quorn Chilli (Does anyone know if i can do this in the slow cooker?)

Wednesday Lunch - Jacket pot and chili Dinner - Out of freezer potato curry

Thursday Lunch - Jacket pot and chilli - Dinner - OUT (Itunes festival thanks to O2!!)

Friday Lunch - Kinda Coronation chicken baps - Dinner - HM pizza with chicken and cheese and onion (Maybe more if i can anything...)

Saturday (Uni again :( ) Lemon and Chilli Cous-cous - Dinner - Back home for the weekend to Mums!

Skip to Monday: Lunch is soup from freezer and dinner is out of freezer HM Quorn Chilli -

Tuesday: Lunch is chicken and stuffing sandwiches and dinner is Chicken butter bean and lentil casserole.

Not amazing food plans but hey ho - its manageable with only a few items needed...

Maybe ill come under £150 after all ;)

RC X
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2013 at 11:11PM
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Meal plan done until payday

Tonight: Potato and red lentil curry & HM Cheats Vic Sponge

Friday: HM Pizza with chicken, peppers, sweetcorn, onion & mozerella

Saturday (Im in Uni all day and OH Working): Lunch - Pasta with Pea and pesto sauce Dinner - Salmon and Fresh pasta (& a sauce when i figure how to make one)

Sunday (Uni again) Lunch potatoe Salad or HM Quiche (recipe please anyone?) Dinner - Out of Freezer potato curry

Monday Lunch - Chicken and stuffing sandwiches Dinner - Chicken Kievs with HM wedges

Tuesday Lunch - Chicken & Stuffing Sandwiches Dinner - Quorn Chilli (Does anyone know if i can do this in the slow cooker?)

Wednesday Lunch - Jacket pot and chili Dinner - Out of freezer potato curry

Thursday Lunch - Jacket pot and chilli - Dinner - OUT (Itunes festival thanks to O2!!)

Friday Lunch - Kinda Coronation chicken baps - Dinner - HM pizza with chicken and cheese and onion (Maybe more if i can anything...)

Saturday (Uni again :( ) Lemon and Chilli Cous-cous - Dinner - Back home for the weekend to Mums!

Skip to Monday: Lunch is soup from freezer and dinner is out of freezer HM Quorn Chilli -

Tuesday: Lunch is chicken and stuffing sandwiches and dinner is Chicken butter bean and lentil casserole.

Not amazing food plans but hey ho - its manageable with only a few items needed...

Maybe ill come under £150 after all ;)

RC X

Have a look at the first few pages of this thread ... lots of recipes listed. Chilli should be fine in slowcooker. I've cooked Quorn in it plenty of times
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Florenceem wrote: »
    Thanks for the Birthday wishes - such a sad day to have a Birthday.

It is our wedding anniversary... But life really does have to go on in so many ways.
  • Spent £130.44 so far, with the bulk of it being 2 £40-ish shops at Ald! to use their £5 off voucher. I am realising how much we also spend in Tesco when we go in for quick top-up shops, so my mission is to a. stick to the list and b. go without children!

Less than £70 left for the rest of the month, but we have plenty of food in the house (famous last words!) I start back at med school on Mon so fewer shopping opportunities. We all pack our lunches or eat lunch at home so that shouldn't change the budget at all - I will have to remember to take my coffee 2 in 1 sticks as I can get hot water for free from the canteen instead of paying £2.50 for a posh coffee in the student cafe. Planning is everything, as always.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure