PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live with my DD & DS all adults my DS eats a lot, he is one of those with hollow legs:eek:

I cooked 500g of steak mince and made 6 portions of chili, 6 portions of spag bol and 3 portions of meatballs, bulked out with porridge and veg.

Messybetty...Do you really use porridge when youre cooking to bulk things up? Ive never heard of doing that! Please tell me more as 500g of mince would probably make 4 portions for me if im lucky!!:rotfl:
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    NSD Today.
    Cross with myself as had to throw away a full box of strawberries away that I had put in the outside fridge and promptly forgot all about. £1.20 wasted. Really must look in BOTH fridge/freezers so as don't waste anything else.
    Did use the last of the green beans up today that were just going past their best.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Cambs85
    Cambs85 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Although we do eat well portion size is standard for example today I cooked 500g of steak mince and made 6 portions of chili, 6 portions of spag bol and 3 portions of meatballs, bulked out with porridge and veg.

From one 500g pack? Am uber impressed. We only ever manage 4 portions of spag Bol!
    GC Sept '13: £249.05/£250, NSDs: 9/7!! :j
    GC Oct '13 £236.00/ £250, NSDs: 13/9!
    GC Nov '13 £5.72/ £250, NSDs: /10
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2013 at 8:53PM
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Messybetty...Do you really use porridge when youre cooking to bulk things up? Ive never heard of doing that! Please tell me more as 500g of mince would probably make 4 portions for me if im lucky!!:rotfl:

MissRikkiC - I can vouch for the porridge in mince beef etc as done it today and a 600g of mince has fed three adults for lunch today, enough for mum to take home 2 portions, enough for DH for lunch tomorrow and then I froze at least 3 more portions (9 portions and quite generous ones at that) I add at least carrots, onions, mushrooms, grated courgette and celery. I don't really like pulses but if you do these will also make the meat go further. As an added bonus the mince steak was half price and only cost £2.49 for 9 maybe 10 potions) :)
    You don't taste the porridge, until DH saw me add it he never knew it was in (he can be quite fussy at times) personally I think it gives the mix a little bit of a 'silky texture' Just add a little bit at first then if you like it try more each time. I usually add about one large mug full now. Let us know how you go on with it.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cambs85 wrote: »
    From one 500g pack? Am uber impressed. We only ever manage 4 portions of spag Bol!

500g is the usual suggested amount in a recipe for 4, but try 250g a good handful of red lentils and an extra can of tomatoes. The texture of the lentils is very similar to mince so it wont be missed. Works out cheaper and is more healthy.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    edited 8 September 2013 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Yay finally got some reduced carrots x 2 packs in my local shop, also got celery, tomatoes and peppers all at 20p.
    So a 1.00 spend, very pleased, have now not been in the SM for 10 days now, my DD thinks they will go bankrupt, scarky,, I did tell her I am doing my bit to support local shop but she dosent think relieving them of the mega reduced is helping them that much, but was very pleased with the reduced potatoes I had for her.
    Slimming World at target
  • aradesh
    aradesh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Made some cake today. Also ate some of the marrow. Just cut two slices and baked it in the oven for a while. Was fairly nice actually. Had it with chicken, bacon, a tomato and some gravy.
    Extra money made jun 19: £16.07

Extra money made jul 19: £0.00
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,006 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pandora wrote: »
    Oh!! I'm so angry!!! :mad:

Been ripped off TWICE today with my shopping and only found out once I had got home! :(

One isn't so bad as I can get that refunded tomorrow - bought a YS item that should have been 26p but got charged full price £1.75!!! I'll just take the packet and receipt back to Mr T's and complain.

But the other one is just lost money :mad:

Went to Wilko's to use my vouchers to get deodorant, and the woman on the till said I could only use one voucher, so I said fine and that I would just have one can. So I took back my other voucher, she cancelled one off the till and she took one can of deodorant out of my bag - or so I thought!!! I get home to find NO deodorant in the bag!!!!! There is no way of proving I don't have the deodorant so there's no way of getting a replacement or my money and voucher back!! :( Absolutely furious!!!! :mad:
    I never let them get away with it.
    I would just go to customer service - explain what happened - see what assistant says. If no joy - ask for her supervisor - if still no joy ask for duty manager.
    Stand your ground - they will pay up if you persevere.
    After all - would you bother with all that if it was not true?
    If duty manager is a pain - ask for executive director responsible for customer service - you want his name and address. Then you send him a letter asking for a gift voucher for your time and distress.
    Seasoned complainer here.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 132/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £23.52/£100 NSD - 94
    2024 Craft Makes - 229 Craft Spends 2024 £344.41/£500
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,006 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD here.
    We had roast parsnip/potatoes + HM BPITH + roasted veggies - beetroots, red onion, yellow pepper, tomato for dinner.
    Sundaysdinner_zps50543720.jpgG]
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 132/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £23.52/£100 NSD - 94
    2024 Craft Makes - 229 Craft Spends 2024 £344.41/£500
  • meg72
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I never let them get away with it.
    I would just go to customer service - explain what happened - see what assistant says. If no joy - ask for her supervisor - if still no joy ask for duty manager.
    Stand your ground - they will pay up if you persevere.
    After all - would you bother with all that if it was not true?
    If duty manager is a pain - ask for executive director responsible for customer service - you want his name and address. Then you send him a letter asking for a gift voucher for your time and distress.
    Seasoned complainer here.

Great advice here, but if its going to cost you to go back to store, busfare or petrol etc, then just phone or email them. if no joy email head office, you will get refund or a goodwill payment. As Flo says dont let them get away with it.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport