Anyone want to join me? Awaiting Mortgage decision...

Options

Comments

• set
    set Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am sure it will be fine ;) And at least £180 isn't that bad I guess. Good luck! :D

Thank you. keeping my fingers & toes crossed for good news :)
  • 8-of-us
    8-of-us Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    set wrote: »
    UPDATE

Just had email from broker, they want timber & damp report! So have to get a report done and send it back to them :(:(

We had this on the previous property we tried to buy, we came to an agreement with the seller that he'd pay for this (one of those if our lender wants it then anyone else you try to sell to may also want it)
    The survey cost £300 but really opened a can of worms on the house and Natwest wanted to retain part of the mortgage too, make sure you really get a reputable company and look in depth into any finding.
    Good luck
    Sealed Pot Challenge - #462
    I used the Thanks button as a Like button too :)
  • juliat20
    juliat20 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Just thought I'd update you with my progress:-

03/08 - DIP with Halifax via Broker
    22/08 - Full Application submitted and £500 valuation taken via broker
    27/08 - survey/valuation done (never advised so this was a surprise that this had been done)

All nervous now, at least I'm one step closer.:j
  • summer_james
    Options
    God am I frustrated today!

:eek:I am still waiting to hear on a date for my survey! Apparently as I am having a Homebuyers Report done (these take 2-3 hours) Colley's (surveyors Halifax use) just do not have the availability so I am sitting here waiting! My broker said if I just had the basic survey for valuation purposes done it will be done very quickly. Does he think I am nuts? This is one of the biggest purchases of my life and I am not skimping on the survey! I guess I will just have to wait. The only problem is the people that I am buying from are refusing to get their survey done until mine has been completed on their house and my buyers had their survey done 10 days ago....I am just hoping it all ties in as I don't want to lose my buyers (they want to move fast).

What surveys have you all gone for because on reading this thread some peoples surveys were instructed the next day!:eek:
  • juliat20
    Options
    God am I frustrated today!

:eek:I am still waiting to hear on a date for my survey! Apparently as I am having a Homebuyers Report done (these take 2-3 hours) Colley's (surveyors Halifax use) just do not have the availability so I am sitting here waiting! My broker said if I just had the basic survey for valuation purposes done it will be done very quickly. Does he think I am nuts? This is one of the biggest purchases of my life and I am not skimping on the survey! I guess I will just have to wait. The only problem is the people that I am buying from are refusing to get their survey done until mine has been completed on their house and my buyers had their survey done 10 days ago....I am just hoping it all ties in as I don't want to lose my buyers (they want to move fast).

What surveys have you all gone for because on reading this thread some peoples surveys were instructed the next day!:eek:

Hi,
    I think we've had the basic survey because ours is a new build, alls I know is that it was £500 we did the mortgage application on Saturday 22nd and the survey was done on Thursday 27th. Maybe it depends on the area. :eek:
  • summer_james
    Options
    juliat20 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I think we've had the basic survey because ours is a new build, alls I know is that it was £500 we did the mortgage application on Saturday 22nd and the survey was done on Thursday 27th. Maybe it depends on the area. :eek:

Hi, yep if I had the basic survey done it would have been done by now but because I the Homebuyers Report (£660!) and it takes time to do, the appointments are hard to get. It is so frustrating! I wouldn't mind but as I said, the people I am buying from won't get theirs done until mine has been done and my buyers had theirs done 10+ days ago... I guess I am just stressing it won't all tie up but I have resigned myself to the fact what will be will be now;)
  • juliat20
    Options
    Hi, yep if I had the basic survey done it would have been done by now but because I the Homebuyers Report (£660!) and it takes time to do, the appointments are hard to get. It is so frustrating! I wouldn't mind but as I said, the people I am buying from won't get theirs done until mine has been done and my buyers had theirs done 10+ days ago... I guess I am just stressing it won't all tie up but I have resigned myself to the fact what will be will be now;)

It's all so stressful, I've been going through this whole selling and buying since May so I know how you feel it's all's you can think about, it consumes every thought. Hopefully they'll get there fingers out for you and hurry it along a little. I think you have to try and have the what will be will be attitude but it's really hard, keep us updated.:)
  • summer_james
    Options
    juliat20 wrote: »
    It's all so stressful, I've been going through this whole selling and buying since May so I know how you feel it's all's you can think about, it consumes every thought. Hopefully they'll get there fingers out for you and hurry it along a little. I think you have to try and have the what will be will be attitude but it's really hard, keep us updated.:)

Totally. It is so stressful as I don't want my buyers to pull out as I am not going through the viewing process again! I am sure it will be fine, it's just being in limbo all the time that is frustrating.....
  • LeoTLion
    LeoTLion Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    We paid for the basic valuation with the lender and then got a local surveyor to do a Building Survey separately.

This way we were able to choose the person we wanted and had a direct line of communication with him, rather than relying on the mortgage company.

It worked out well, took 7 days from us instructing him to getting the report and he let us know when he'd booked the appointment etc.

Not suggesting he would be better quality than the surveyors used by the lenders, although he was FRICS, but in general the business model they use is high volume/low cost and I'd rather that the person doing it wasn't under pressure to be as quick as possible.
  • set
    set Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    8-of-us wrote: »
    We had this on the previous property we tried to buy, we came to an agreement with the seller that he'd pay for this (one of those if our lender wants it then anyone else you try to sell to may also want it)
    The survey cost £300 but really opened a can of worms on the house and Natwest wanted to retain part of the mortgage too, make sure you really get a reputable company and look in depth into any finding.
    Good luck

Hi

After valuation (purchase price £90k) lender wanted Damp & Timber survey. We haven't had full report as it was only done today. Carried out by independent so no selling as they don't do the works just surveys. Anyway, he rang straight after he'd done the survey. Apologies but I can't remember everything he said but the gist is:

Damp proof course bridged, I think the concrete round the property it up to the top of the airbricks. He said it would be a foot deep. Plastering walls. Also said something about pointing. He said that's the main cause of damp. Also said about a couple of other things, small flat roof, would need doing soon. Having no idea about all of this I just asked straight out is this going to be expensive, he said yes. He said to get an estimate of work with reputable builder and see what quote is. I dread to think what the quote will be.

We won't get report until next week when we will send it to lender. After reading posts on here we are thinking the lender will put retention on mortgage or not release any funds until work is done.

to say we're gutted is an understatement, we love the flat. BUT we have had a long talk and we will send report off to lender, see what they say and take it from there. If vendor doesn't want to sort out bridged damp proof then we'll be walking away as we can't do works to a property we don't own.

Felt so downhearted yesterday, got upset but after our chat feel better. Just want that report so we can get it sent to lender Asap.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback