Welcome to the Supermarket Coupons Board, especially for stories!

Options

Comments

• lauraborer
    lauraborer Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    This is my fruit stash :D

190720134269_zps8f710e55.jpg
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    littlebit wrote: »
    My main asda have too they will not take any printed coupons or safe coupons what so ever.

My Asda stopped taking printed coupons months ago due to abuse, mainly from people buying fakes from ebay for nappies etc.
  • sarahcmo
    sarahcmo Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I think a lot of people on here maybe need to stop being so petty , everybody loves a bargain and if this helps people then why all the fuss? my local supermarkets infact all of them have no problem taking coupons in various amounts with no nastiness or bad feeling, they don't care what the coupons are or how many as long as the items are in your trolley. Some people do not have the luxury of being able to pick and choose what they eat, this is a great idea and I am sure people do give to the food banks and not hoard to excess, there is enough for everyone not just the select few who think this web site belongs to them, lighten up people there are more pressing problems in the world besides who has how many bags of pasta . If people can be sensible and put a few items through at a time that would be better and would maybe stop the shops getting too crabby , but the vouchers are there to be used to come on people use them, and if people on here get snotty who cares its not like they are part of your social circle or on your xmas card list, they are just words from a computer from someone who doesn't like a certain opinion or post . No one is ruining anything its just couponing is now talked about a lot more and gaining interest all the time . I share all my coupons and excess with lots of different charities so I don't think I am ruining anything infact I am helping. The supermarkets and manufacturers print these coupons so they want you to buy the items and if you get them cheaper then good on you , make the most of every penny you have in your purse. As I said if you mass print then you only have your self to blame if they are refused be sensible people and if they give you money off then you would be a fool not to redeem it .MSE is here to help everyone not just the select few Happy couponing
  • EnglishWelshie
    EnglishWelshie Posts: 3,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sarahcmo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people on here maybe need to stop being so petty , everybody loves a bargain and if this helps people then why all the fuss? my local supermarkets infact all of them have no problem taking coupons in various amounts with no nastiness or bad feeling, they don't care what the coupons are or how many as long as the items are in your trolley. Some people do not have the luxury of being able to pick and choose what they eat, this is a great idea and I am sure people do give to the food banks and not hoard to excess, there is enough for everyone not just the select few who think this web site belongs to them, lighten up people there are more pressing problems in the world besides who has how many bags of pasta . If people can be sensible and put a few items through at a time that would be better and would maybe stop the shops getting too crabby , but the vouchers are there to be used to come on people use them, and if people on here get snotty who cares its not like they are part of your social circle or on your xmas card list, they are just words from a computer from someone who doesn't like a certain opinion or post . No one is ruining anything its just couponing is now talked about a lot more and gaining interest all the time . I share all my coupons and excess with lots of different charities so I don't think I am ruining anything infact I am helping. The supermarkets and manufacturers print these coupons so they want you to buy the items and if you get them cheaper then good on you , make the most of every penny you have in your purse. As I said if you mass print then you only have your self to blame if they are refused be sensible people and if they give you money off then you would be a fool not to redeem it .MSE is here to help everyone not just the select few Happy couponing

People on here are not being petty. I wonder if you will be saying that once your stores get hit with masses of coupons especially the fake ones that stores are being hit with.
    There is are very good threads already here with all the info and excellent couponing advice if people want to look and read up on it.
    With this as it is now it will just encourage the masses of people who don't give a damn about how many coupons they use and if they are legit or not. People wont be interested in any of that and will just be out to make a quick killing.
    For every person who participates in helping with advice and helping people to do the right thing there are thousands out there who will come to the site through the email who aren't even members here and just subscribe to the newsletter thinking they can just go out there and grab what they want because others may have posted their hauls on here and before long couponing will become extinct as there is no way that supermarkets or promoters will take such massive hits by ending up not being reimbursed for the coupons they send in for redemption.
    The couponing threads have been running for years with no problems at all. There is a couponing section on the main board that has the links needed for saving money. What everyone is against is having a board encouraging people to come and brag and post pics of their hauls. It is like being in the school playground saying my haul is bigger than yours encouraging people to go out and compete with each other to see who can get the most.
    And yes I have seen it happen where people think they know best have refused to listen to good advice and continued to use dodgy coupons not giving a damn to the consequences and resulting on their stores refusing all printed coupons meaning those who did use coupons legitimately could no longer use them.
  • emiai
    emiai Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Auntycaz wrote: »
    My local Morrisons have stopped taking any internet coupons due to coupon abuse. The shop assistant told me it has been gradually getting worse since the extreme couponing programmes have been on tv and that some people have been really aggressive when coupons have not been accepted even though they have not purchased the products.

This has also happened in my local store :(
    Wishing you all good luck!
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well said Englishwelshie.

That is exactly it. Why do we need photos of stashes and playground mentality of my stash is bigger and better than your stash?
  • skyeceilo
    skyeceilo Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think this is a bad idea for MSE. Leave this for the other sites to do. I think its great that people get great finds but even with my great maths brain i cant see how some people get their "Stash" for the price they paid without some abuse. £130+ for 89p? and they brought 20+ packs of J2O with £1 coupons off? My brain hurts trying to figure it out
    JAN-MAR Coupons = £232.70 Utility saving = £72 C.B = £53.92 Craft Sell - £14 Freebies - Chocs, thermal mug, baby wipes, beauty samples, dummy, cat food, Kola, ebay vouchers, vilakal
    APR Coupons = £10Cashback - £80 + £140CCV Freebies - baby book, seeds
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2013 at 2:21AM
    Options
    I've never copied / printed extra coupons etc - yet thanks to those that do - Tesco staff in some stores treat every coupon user like low-life criminals.

I'm all for taking advantage of offers to the max. Thats the company's responsibility to ensure that offers dont clash.

But lets be clear Tesco - even after couponing - you still charge more than Home Bargains, Aldi, £1 shops etc for the same items.

I once dumped £60 of shopping because a member of Tesco staff refused to accept a coupon from the Tesco magazine - because it did not scan. "we are clamping down on coupons" he said. But its your coupon from your magazine, and i've bought the item" i replied. "Dont matter - if it dont scan - we dont take it"

At this point, i dumped the shopping, told him where to stick it and didnt go in again for 2 years. He thinks he saved Tesco 25p - but he lost them a loyal customer. Only an appology and £20 gift voucher changed things - after i filled in a questionaire about my Tesco experience - and was then contacted by Customer Services.
  • RootedNomad
    RootedNomad Posts: 3,514 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2013 at 9:16AM
    Options
    Huuuuuuuuuuge fan of MSE, this place has helped me to turn my life around, particularly DFW, Old Style and Grocery threads.

This idea does seem to cut across the integrity and ethos of MSE - as regards couponing, there are strict and enforced rules on other boards about what can and can't be promoted and posted, and this seems to fly in the face of those - notice there is no BG to this board? I am wondering if this idea is in response to the below?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4717047

and in particular this

"A common reaction to past changes has been “it works the way it is, why change it?”. We completely understand this; it’s perfectly reasonable. However, we have long term plans for the forum to allow it to compete at the highest level as a social media site to help people save money (it was the 8th biggest UK social network in 2011 according to hitwise, but we are competing against more and more of them in 2013), without losing the fantastic community spirit, ethos and organic growth of the last decade, and that requires us to move with the times."?

The site needs to atract and retain large numbers of new users to remain commercially viable and keep up in an extremely competitive marketplace. We all want the same thing - I want MSE to be around into the future. However, if this is the reason for promoting such an idea, it smacks of desperation and does not seem that well thought out, and I am guessing no-one has projected forward the potential outcome if MSEers were daft enough to subscribe to the idea.
    BLUEWKD wrote: »
    The only way to extreme coupon and get stashes of items is to use the coupon against the terms and condition. i.e using a coupon when an item is on offer when ALL coupons say not to be used in conjunction with any other offer Surely a thread like this is only encouraging that. Most coupon users do use coupons against offers but for obvious reasons do not brag about it

This is key - how can you be seen to encourage and promote this? If MSE wants to promote couponing, how about using your voice and clout to pull it out of the subterranean depths where it languishes in the UK? Work with supemarkets to establish with each a nationally accepted policy that folk can legitimately follow without fear of being rejected or treated like a second class citizen at the tills? Encourage stores to invest in training so that staff understand what is and is not acceptable (Waities seems to be able to crack it)? Work with manufacturers on the wording and access points of their mocs so that they are not stung through ignorance and/or error? Only when the whole process is legitimate and well managed can it be ruthlessly promoted. And if this could be achieved, manufacturers and supermarkets might issue more mocs rather than less and the greater majority could gain - this is where MSE can help millions save money at checkouts.

And in particular, why not have a dialogue with the big store groups for a coupon campaign that ties in with the DoH Public Health Responsibility Deal?

https://responsibilitydeal.dh.gov.uk/pledges/

They are all subscribed/partners, and are keen to be seen to be honouring their commitments. Tesco recently issued conditional spend coupons for fresh fruit, veg and salad - more of that should be encouraged rather than stockpiling toiletries, confectionary or alcohol (although I must confess to my fair share of all these :)).

MSE, you have a huge voice. Please think smarter about how you can use it to help many many more people and in a much more responsible manner than suggested by this new board.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who is MSE Zorica? Twice their posts have been removed
    they are not in the list of MSE staff

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/memberlist.php?&pp=50&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=M&page=1130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure