Juice Fasting?

Options

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Good luck fredandwilma, look forward to reading your diary.

Thanks for the support Jox. I'm under no illusions it will be easy, but i'm determined to give it a try. Otherwise, how will you know? Like it's been said, one thing doesn't suit another.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • zarak
    zarak Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I would do a couple of days a week. If you're looking for health benefits and weight loss I cannot see how drinking juice all day everyday can be good for you. And I know your teeth will need looking after EXTRA
    And also they need to chew.

If you MUST do this then start with 2 days a week. Obviously it's up to you but I think a healthy balance is better than juice fasting. You should also see a doctor just in case you shouldn't be doing this.
    I'm not trying to come across know it all but I'm just concerned with it.

My friend did a similar thing... sort of fasting and only had fluids and some crisps. She was depressed though with a tragic event in her life. and this went on for a couple of months she lost a ton of weight but as she got better went on holiday and now all the weight she lost came back in a matter of 2-3 weeks and her skin suffered too.

Everyone is different you're right. Just keep yourself hydrated and eat some almonds on the side. Stay safe and good luck
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    zarak wrote: »
    sort of fasting and only had fluids and some crisps

Crisps? No, no, no
    zarak wrote: »
    Just keep yourself hydrated and eat some almonds on the side. Stay safe and good luck

Thanks zarak

Keep hydrated - definitely

Almonds - the colon digests nuts, definitely after the cleanse.

I'm still researching so i am as informed as possible. I'm now reverting back to the original concept of the juicer, as blenders don't remove fibre from the juice therefore your body is digesting food? The point of a juice cleanse is to relieve the body from digesting? The colon doesn't use energy to digest new foods entering the body, but removes built up food and toxins that have not previously been absorbed by the body, and the reason for juicing is to give the body nutrients without digestible material.

However, i think it's sensible to have short periods of juice fasting.

Back to looking at juicers.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've bought cheaper juicers in the past (around £30) and they are good for a while but don't last too long.

I've had this juicer for about 10 months (I paid £99.99), still going strong. Had a lovely carrot, apple and orange juice last night.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4264804.htm

I've never been a fan of cleaning juicers but it's just something you need to do and don't leave it too long after the juicer has been used.

Blenders are easier to clean.

I have banana and spinach smoothies and fruit and vegetable juices several times a week.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't people 'juice' or blend meat and potatoes and rice with dairy products and eggs?

Fact is that juicing fruits and vegs makes for a tasty drink (a lot of the time!). Blending up the other stuff is just baby food yeah?

By all means if you struggle to eat fruit and veg then do yourself a juice or smoothie once a day if you think this is the only way you'll be able to get your vits in, but anything else is you are just kidding yourself that you are being healthy.

Just my opinion mind!
  • zarak
    zarak Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    SandC wrote: »
    Why don't people 'juice' or blend meat and potatoes and rice with dairy products and eggs?

Fact is that juicing fruits and vegs makes for a tasty drink (a lot of the time!). Blending up the other stuff is just baby food yeah?

By all means if you struggle to eat fruit and veg then do yourself a juice or smoothie once a day if you think this is the only way you'll be able to get your vits in, but anything else is you are just kidding yourself that you are being healthy.

Just my opinion mind!
    I like getting in a lot of greens, but boy do I struggle to chew it after 2 minutes. So making a green smoothie 1-2 times a day is great for me.
    And I agree with you, juice fast is just too much of a risk on the body, it can damage a lot.
    Not always yes, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk. Because I would be too afraid to damage the way body digests etc
    So for the benefit of health you're risking your health. Catch 22
  • jayjay88
    jayjay88 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    This sounds like an unhealthy fad tbh. I should imagine it will make you lose weight to the people who have said it worked, but it is not going to do much for your health and certainly shouldn't be done long term if at all imo
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Angela Stokes just drank juice for 92 days and lost 160 lbs, she was morbidly obese before and moved to a raw food diet and then juice feasting.

http://www.juicefeasting.com/Consultants/AngelaStokes/tabid/73/Default.aspx

If anyone thinks it is unhealthy then don't do it, but if you have done your research and like what you have found and have the motivation then why not try it.

Coffee shops are fully of people drinking high calorie coffee drinks and eating muffins, fast food restaurants like Mcdonalds and Burger King and KFC are full of people eating dubious meat, fried items, carbonated drinks devoid of any vitamins and doing harm to their bodies.

When someone is interested in increasing their fruit and veg intake and drinking freshly made fruit juice (not shop bought which is pasteurised and lacking in enzymes and vitamins) they immediately face opposition from latte drinking, burger and chip munching people who are horrified about what it will do to their health.

I personally have been interested in a raw food diet since 2006 and have just consumed fruit and vegetables for 6 months at a time a few occasions since then. I felt fantastic, lost a bit of weight, had energy and enthusiasm. I haven't stuck to it on a permanent basis for a few weak willed reasons such as living with my meat-eating partner but I have admiration for those who take their health into their own hands, increase their fruit and veg intake and reduce processed food and drugs such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.

Our health is big business, the meat and dairy industries are subsidised so they are cheap, organic fruit and veg is expensive. When we fall sick the pharmaceutical companies just love it, more profit for them. They are not interested in finding cures for cancers etc, that would mean an end to their business and profit.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's just it though Jox, I don't think anyone who has commented on here, judging by their previous posts on all manner of subjects, but usually health related, are the people who consume lots of processed foods and frequent the establishments you have spoken about.

I do agree it's good to see people thinking of their health but cutting out whole food groups is taking it too far in my opinion.

My health and wellbeing has improved since I took the approach of the paleo diet - not the whole thing but the approach of clean eating and avoiding processed foods. But I'll happily have dairy and don't think there's anything wrong with potatoes in their form just out of the ground, or rice. I feel healthier, for sure in my digestive system.

It does seem to be for most looking for quick results for whatever it is they want to achieve, however for a short time I agree it might be worth giving it a shot to see how it makes you feel. NOT 60 days though!
  • isabelle304
    isabelle304 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2013 at 5:12PM
    Options

I fancy giving it a try.

Anyone else?

Hi Fredandwilma. I too saw the TV programme and my interest was piqued not so much by the weightloss aspect (although I could really do with losing some weight) but the claims of regain of energy. I have been suffering lately from apathy and sluggishness, so much so that I struggle to get through my working day. At the moment I am obsessed with regaining my energy again and have decided to give this a go - starting with a 5-day juice fast at first to test the waters, and hopefully go on. I have seen the comments on this thread advising against juicing but to be honest I eat quite unhealthily at the present time so, as far as I am concerned, any change I make would be for the better.

I already have a Breville JE15 juicer (bought a few years ago and, thankfully kept), a blender, and several juice recipe sources - what I am trying to work out now is how to get the more produce for my money - as I am on a quite a low income. I also don't want to be spending my days lugging heavy bags of veg and fruit home from the supermarket. I see Abel and Cole do Juicing Boxes but I doubt this is the optimum cost option for me (£16.50 for 7kg - and am not quite clear how long this would last me) so am presently trying to educate myself on low-cost options. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Anyhoo... just wanted to post here to let you know you are not the only one having a go at this ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure