Juice Fasting?

Options

Comments

• claire-bear80
    Options
    I have watched the programme, and did my own research on various websites and blogs. I definitely think that it will be healthy for me, so am going ahead with it. I will aim for 10 days and see if I feel I can do it for longer (not 60 days but maybe 30 if I feel I need it).

I am all prepared so am starting tomorrow. More than happy to post updates if anyone would think it would be useful.

Good luck those who are going to try it! :)
  • vickys8722
    Options
    I have watched the programme, and did my own research on various websites and blogs. I definitely think that it will be healthy for me, so am going ahead with it. I will aim for 10 days and see if I feel I can do it for longer (not 60 days but maybe 30 if I feel I need it).

I am all prepared so am starting tomorrow. More than happy to post updates if anyone would think it would be useful.

Good luck with it ! Shame i missed that Channel 5 show, can I catch it on demand at all?

I'm really keen to give juice cleanses a go. Buuut I think the long term juice diet has pros & cons, I'm definitely going to do my research as you have, before shoving stuff in the juicer - some fruits are really high in sugar (still better than processed sugar, but sugar nonetheless) which would (for me anyway) spike my blood sugar levels and then crash levels down later, so wouldn't really help some of us looking to feel less lethargic or sluggish. I think it's about clever combinations of fruit and veg, I swear by flaxseed as others mentioned, also adding raw oats I find keeps energy levels up half hour before workouts. And spinach all the way - Popeye was no liar
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Good luck and you're welcome to join in with the thread.
    vickys8722 wrote: »
    Popeye was no liar

He lives down the road from me.

Good luck and welcome.

I think if you are thinking of taking a juice fast, you should think long and hard before making the decision, do your research and take medical advice when required. It's not something to be entered into lightly and it's not something i'm advocating.

I've not had chance to experiment with mean machine today, so it's back to strawberry frozen margarita (minus alcohol,) tonight. I won't have chance to experiment tomorrow, either. However, i bought a huge watermelon today, some of which i shall attempt to juice.

Yes, i know watermelon contains sugar, but it's natural sugar, not processed sugar and i'm not consuming it in large amounts. Although watermelon largely contains water, it also contains fibre, vitamin C, vitamin A, is free of fat, cholesterol, is low in sodium, and contains lycopene which is good for cardiovascular health. I may possibly supplement the mean green juice with the odd glass of watermelon juice?

As i've already said, the mean green juice contains veg as well as fruit. In fact more veg than fruit. Lemon juice prevents oxidation. :)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Mr_helpful
    Mr_helpful Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with it ! Shame i missed that Channel 5 show, can I catch it on demand at all?

I'm really keen to give juice cleanses a go. Buuut I think the long term juice diet has pros & cons, I'm definitely going to do my research as you have, before shoving stuff in the juicer - some fruits are really high in sugar (still better than processed sugar, but sugar nonetheless) which would (for me anyway) spike my blood sugar levels and then crash levels down later, so wouldn't really help some of us looking to feel less lethargic or sluggish. I think it's about clever combinations of fruit and veg, I swear by flaxseed as others mentioned, also adding raw oats I find keeps energy levels up half hour before workouts. And spinach all the way - Popeye was no liar
    Some of what you say is good but before you think fruit sugar is any better than normal sugar you might like to look at this. its quite long but extremely useful if you want to know why fruit sugar would not work the way you think it would but might well add to your fat reserves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    I like to give people as many choices as possible to do what I want them to. (Milton H Erickson I think)
  • DCGonzalez
    Options
    You can drink juice anytime you want but I never thought someone will take it for diet, I'm drinking juice just so my tongue feel better. By the way, I didn't watch the programme yet. :j
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    It's all systems go and i'm all ready to start my juice fast tomorrow. I had my last drink of tea this morning, although as i also grow my own "tea plants," i'm not totally discounting having my morning drink of tea at some point, as it's only leaves and water? Couldn't be more natural?

I also still have lots of fruit so i might also juice the fruit, whilst i adapt to the "green juice."

Carpe diem
  • fredandwilma
    edited 25 July 2013 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Mr_helpful wrote: »
    Some of what you say is good but before you think fruit sugar is any better than normal sugar you might like to look at this. its quite long but extremely useful if you want to know why fruit sugar would not work the way you think it would but might well add to your fat reserves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Equally, the same could be said for sugar from any source, regarding adding to your fat reserves?

You would have to consume an excessive amount of fruit?

For example, fruit contains nowhere near the amount of processed sugar which is in a can of coke?

Fruit contains a natural sugar called fructose. Unlike sucrose, or table sugar, fructose does not cause abrupt fluctuations in your blood sugar levels because your body digests it more slowly than sucrose, and diabetics are often advised to use fructose as an energy source because it may aid glycemic control. Fruits that taste sweeter, such as cherries or peaches, generally have more natural sugar in them, while more tart fruits, including lemons or avocados, have less, but few fruits contain enough sugar to make them bad for you.

The fructose in fruit is different from fructose-based sweeteners used in processed food. A medium orange contains about 12 grams of natural sugar, while a cup of strawberries has about 7 grams. With only 50 to 60 calories, both of these foods provide 3 grams of fiber, 100 percent of your recommended daily intake for vitamin C and small amounts of folic acid, potassium and other vitamins and minerals. A 20-ounce bottle of soda has about 225 calories, no nutrients and about 60 grams of added sugar, usually in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.

Carpe diem
  • claire-bear80
    Options

The show is an 5 Demand I think, but its definitely on YouTube.

Day 4 almost over for me and although I was a bit scunnered on day one, I'm finding it okay now. It's just a case of trying things to see what you like, I have discovered that too much celery is a no no for me! I just made a juice with lots and lots of spinach, oranges and kiwi fruit. It was delightful!

Although I'd rather be having a wine and some nice food on a Saturday night, I'm just thinking of the benefits and it will be worth it.. I'm sleeping really well and have not really been hungry. 6 pounds off so far too :)
  • fredandwilma
    edited 28 July 2013 at 9:00AM
    Options
    The show is an 5 Demand I think, but its definitely on YouTube.

Day 4 almost over for me and although I was a bit scunnered on day one, I'm finding it okay now. It's just a case of trying things to see what you like, I have discovered that too much celery is a no no for me! I just made a juice with lots and lots of spinach, oranges and kiwi fruit. It was delightful!

Although I'd rather be having a wine and some nice food on a Saturday night, I'm just thinking of the benefits and it will be worth it.. I'm sleeping really well and have not really been hungry. 6 pounds off so far too :)

Glad to see it's going well for you claire-bear80. :cool:

Things aren't going as well for me.

The mean magic machine doesn't live up to my expectations as a juicer and it's been a frustrating few days. I think i'll keep the machine as it makes great instant iced fruit drinks, and has the grating / grinding facilities, which i obviously haven't tried.

Friday went badly as i spent most of the day trying to juice, i had nothing to eat and was very tired and had a massive headache. I've now spent another two days trying to purchase a "real" juicing machine. It's still an impossibility, (unless you want to spend £100's.) I don't know why suppliers aren't cashing in on current demand? Anyone who already owned a juicing machine is extremely fortunate. I noticed a survey last week which said Juicers came no 1 on the list of top ten regretted purchases. Anyone not want their juicer? :rotfl:

I fancied the Phillips HR186* . It seems to have won awards, but is out of stock everywhere. As are all the juicers in a similar price range.

At the moment, i've just had my first drink of tea in three days, (however, drinking herbal tea is fine?) I'm having one healthy meal a day (breakfast,) and will continue with the "smoothies" until i manage to purchase a juicer. :(

It's a compromise and not what i intended, but never mind.

I also bought some cheese yesterday as i was unaware of the benefits cheese can bring to oral care :-

"Cheese, particularly cheddar cheese, counteracts acids in foods, cleaning your teeth and restoring the pH balance in your mouth. The calcium and phosphorus in the cheese protects the enamel on your teeth and prevents the build up of plaque. Cheese also stimulates the production of saliva, which helps clear your mouth of any food particles left on the surface of the tooth. Last, the fat content combined with proteins in cheese protect your teeth from the acids that attack your teeth."

Of course, you still have to clean your teeth, but i shall eat a small piece of cheese after drinking juice, but only the smallest piece, as it's all about digestion.

Another interesting article here :-

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/news-features/TMG10162603/The-real-benefits-of-juicing.html

Carpe diem
  • claire-bear80
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, it would be annoying. I was lucky and borrowed a juicer although its temporary so I will end up having to buy one eventually. I just did a quick search on eBay and there are a few on there for better prices, that may be worth a look?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure