Juice Fasting?

Options
I hate to say a juice diet. I've never (fortunately,) had the need to diet, but i feel unhealthy and current lack of exercise makes this idea appealing after watching the "fat, sick and nearly dead" programme on channel 5 on wednesday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2356710/Joe-Cross-lost-stone-juice-diet-reveals-improve-health.html

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/

http://www.doctoryourself.com/juicefast.html

Has anyone any experience of juice fasting?

Anyone care to join me with a juice fast?

It's a complete detox.

All i need now is a juicer and some scales. Can anyone recommend a reliable Mse (cheap,) juicer. And scales.

My aim is to start the fast as soon as possible, whilst the good weather lasts, which isn't conducive to eating, in the first place.

Ideally, my target is to consume juice for 60 days, after which, to only eat foods derived from plants (seeds, beans, fruits, veg and nuts,) with no animal based or processed food.

Maybe it's a bit extreme, nigh on impossible?

I fancy giving it a try.

Anyone else?
Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would appear to be a Bit low on fibre and not to be recommended.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Awful lack of protein right there, too.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Options

Ideally, my target is to consume juice for 60 days, after which, to only eat foods derived from plants (seeds, beans, fruits, veg and nuts,) with no animal based or processed food.

Maybe it's a bit extreme, nigh on impossible?

I fancy giving it a try.

Anyone else?

I don't think this is healthy because you are cutting out too many different food groups, also there is no such thing as a detox diet, your liver does this all the time anyway. Also juicing fruit and veg is not the best way to eat/drink it because you are getting rid of the fibre and it is absorbed into the bloodstream quicker which you'll be hungry again in no time.

Maybe do the juicing for a couple of days to kickstart you to healthy eating but not for 60 days, thoough I still wouldn't recommend this. It is better to find a healthy way of eating and exercise that suits you and something that is a lifestyle change so you don't go back to unhealthy habits
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Juicing is also responsible for a rise in dental decay and erosion amongst the middle classes & their kids who feel it's 'healthy'.

Everything in moderation.

Taking anything to the extreme is unhealthy.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I do the 5:2 fasting but I did loads of research before and one of the books I read had a whole section on juice fasting. I think the woman who wrote the book actually runs juice fast retreats, which is probably a bit much but the book has all kinds of recipes for juicing and advice on how to still get the right nutrition.

The book was called Eat, Fast, Slim by Amanda Hamilton. Might be worth a read? I think she has a website too.

PP x
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    I think juicing takes a lot of goodness from the fruits and vegetables when you leave the pulp and skin behind. It seems to be a bit of a fad and I don't think it can be healthy sustaining yourself on a very liquid diet. Why not try green smoothies instead? You can use the whole fruit, add things like chia seeds and hemp seeds to up your protein levels and healthy fats, add plenty of vegetables, etc. I think juicing limits what you can actually juice, and you spend more as you have to use more fruit and veg to get the same quantity of juice as you would a smoothie.

I have a green smoothie every morning, followed by a small portion of porridge mid morning for 'breakfast'. Since starting the smoothies, my skin has been clearer and radiant, my cellulite from behind my legs has disappeared and my poops are regular (sorry tmi). I've only added the smoothies to my diet instead of using them to replace meals as I already eat quite healthy, but I know people can use them to replace meals as they're very robust and lots can be added to make sure it's a well rounded meal.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for your input so far.

Interesting, the power of the media, (from both sides.)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Nowt to do with the media here - I don't eat protein, my muscles suffer. I really couldn't recommend this diet for anyone who does more than the bare minimum of exercise, and especially not if they weight train.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing to do with the media here either, just common sense. You are drastically cutting out protein, fat and dairy products, and eating fruit and veg that way your body will not get the nutrients it needs.

Remember the person recommending this diet is out to make money by promoting yet another fad diet
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A colleague of mine has done a 7-day juicing programme a few times to get her back on track with her weight. She's lost 7lbs in a week then resumed healthy weight watching to maintain. She swears by it, says her skin improves and is less tired but would never do it for longer than one week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure