Problems with CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd

Options

Comments

• champfener
    Options
    CAP QUEST chasing me for monies dating back 1997!!!
    Hi, i recently received a letter from Telegram with reference to an old current account i had with abbey dating back 1997, the address that they had me down for (i've never lived there?) also i haven't heard anything from abbey since 1997 when my current account went into debit of £5000.00 (am i still liable to pay this sum back to capquest who seem to have bought it from them? ) do i have a right to call it statue barred? please advise if you can because they have given me till 23 november to reply back, i haven't acknowledged receiving any of their letters till i can get some advice form yourselves.

thank you.
    champfener
  • cwalton047
    Options
    Hi
    i wanted to share my mums story, today she received a letter stating she owed £200 from 16 years ago! (in her previous married name from our previous family home)
    Capquest have said they have tried to contact her for numerous years at an old address and every letter has been returned 'not know at this address'.

Well.... as her daughter i still live at this address and have never received anything from anyone regarding outstanding debts for my mum let alone return them 'not known at this address'.
    Luckly & thanks to the web and various forums I know they have no rights to take her to court anymore to persue this - but jesus talk about hard times... 16years!!!!!!!!!! it made me laugh.

Crapquest sounds about right
  • cwalton047
    Options
    and this was from Abbey National also.
    i have sent the sample letter regarding the limitations act and i cant wait for their reply :) I have told my mum not to speak to them over the telephone because as soon as you acknowlege this - the 6year process starts again
  • Frequent_Flyer_UK
    Options
    I have just fired off a letter to the Law Society to check if the named people on letter are bona fide solicitors and if they are in breach of any rules
  • Jordanl13
    Options
    I've never had a debt or debt collection agency after me in my life apart from my mortgage payments but never missed a single one. My son ran up a £23 bill with Ebay 2 years ago to our address of which i never knew about, he has since married and emigrated to Canada. Anyway this Capquest crowd have phoned 3 sometimes 4 times a day for the last 13 days, leaving threatening messages on the answer phone. They got my wife out of bed at 7:22 am this morning with some scottish women on the phone threatening court action and legal proceedings & balliffs at the door, put my wife in tears. I opened a letter from them this lot this morning in the post and they called again not half an hour ago. I went onto ebay, got the details from my son paid the £23 quid to stop this hassle. Phoned capquest and said the debt was settled. A man really ignorant and cheeky, phoned back demanding i pay an £8 quid fee, he was using bad language and called me a "Piece of Scum" over the phone and he has dealt with scum like me before, i can't hide from my debts he went on in rant. I got my debit card and offered to pay the 8 quid to get rid of this man. Then he said it's not that simple we're going to take you court for this, you've refused to authorise you address and he went on and on... He then went on and on some more using foul language and i just put down the phone... What on earth is with this company. Any help would be appreciated because i don't want to call them back because i really can't be bothered to listen to their drivel and surely it's illegal to speak to people like that in that menacing tone. Thank You.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Guys there is probably good news.

Have a look at this thread.

Pursuing a debt that is statute barred after such a long time and being abused on the phone are definitely reasons for complaint.
  • confused76
    confused76 Posts: 12,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jordanl13 wrote: »
    I've never had a debt or debt collection agency after me in my life apart from my mortgage payments but never missed a single one. My son ran up a £23 bill with Ebay 2 years ago to our address of which i never knew about, he has since married and emigrated to Canada. Anyway this Capquest crowd have phoned 3 sometimes 4 times a day for the last 13 days, leaving threatening messages on the answer phone. They got my wife out of bed at 7:22 am this morning with some scottish women on the phone threatening court action and legal proceedings & balliffs at the door, put my wife in tears. I opened a letter from them this lot this morning in the post and they called again not half an hour ago. I went onto ebay, got the details from my son paid the £23 quid to stop this hassle. Phoned capquest and said the debt was settled. A man really ignorant and cheeky, phoned back demanding i pay an £8 quid fee, he was using bad language and called me a "Piece of Scum" over the phone and he has dealt with scum like me before, i can't hide from my debts he went on in rant. I got my debit card and offered to pay the 8 quid to get rid of this man. Then he said it's not that simple we're going to take you court for this, you've refused to authorise you address and he went on and on... He then went on and on some more using foul language and i just put down the phone... What on earth is with this company. Any help would be appreciated because i don't want to call them back because i really can't be bothered to listen to their drivel and surely it's illegal to speak to people like that in that menacing tone. Thank You.

woah what was wrong with him! :mad: you were offering to pay!! sorry no advice but i can't believe that...no need to speak to you like that. hope you and your wife are ok, hopefully they will go quiet now the £28 has been paid. all the best
  • Jordanl13
    Options
    Thank you for any replies posted. It has opened my eyes reading some of the posts here. Exactly what this company is about. The thing i would like to know is This debt has been around for about 2 years but i was never contacted about it until 2 weeks ago it seems to me very opportunistic, it also seems that this debt has been sold from company to company adding fee's on along the way. They've phoned twice today as per normal on a sunday, once just after 9 o'clock again just after 1 leaving that automated voice message. Any attempt to contact them is met with complete hostility towards you. I have a friend who is a solicitor and sought proper legal advice and the advice i was given was not to pay it and ask for the original debt contract and then the phone calls would have to stop for 28 days. I do not know what experts think about that advice but it seems paying the debt has not put an end to the calling. Just as i was writing this the phone went again with a 0207 number from a company called IQOR so it seems the the debt is being persued by two companies now.I don't have a clue about how this works and it's really frustrating, How can two companies chase the same debt and for £8 quid. Surely it must cost them more money to write and phone and pay their call centre staff to wind me and my wife up for a small debt i was willing to pay straight away. I don't get it or is the norm...
  • Jordanl13
    Options
    I just wanted to add as well they seem to phone up especially during times when your out at work and target members of your family. Trying to put you in an awkward position telling my wife that i was in trouble for not paying debts i owed. They once told my wife that she would be required to go to court and that's just awful to say to anyone...
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CapQuest wrote to my address 2 months ago asking for the whereabouts of someone I had never heard of. It turned out that CapQuest are chasing an Abbey debt.

On contacting Abbey's fraud department, I found out that Abbey have sold a lot of old debts to CapQuest recently, resulting in numerous complaints to Abbey staff.

I get the impression that Abbey staff do not want to deal with these complaints, to the extent that they will even use false complaint reference numbers and use false names when signing responses to complaint letters!

In the latest letter from Abbey they say that CapQuest has a right to contact me to seek repayment options (sic). I have never had an acount with Abbey, and the person who did, left the property I now own, about 8 years ago! And the property has had 5 different owners since then!!!

The last transaction on the account was in 2001 and I only purchased and occupied the property in 2006!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure