Problems with CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd

Options

Comments

• fullstopsmoking
    Options
    I would strongly advise that you do. I had letter from Capquest with the same foremane and surname but wrong middle initial. I rang them and told them it was not me (Nat West Acct) and they said fine. When I check my Credit file someone had linked 7 addresses and 5 defaulted accounts to my file that were nothing to do with me

It was either SRJ Debt Recovery or CapQuests that placed the information on my Credit Reference file and since then other companies have been like locasts adding accounts to my Credit File. The worst thing is trying to get someone to take responsibility for adding the info as the three CRA's say it is not their responsibility to make sure the information is correct when it is added.

It has taken months and still no further on.

Ian
  • mrdavie
    mrdavie Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I have had it with this company.

I have specifically asked them on 4 or 5 occasions not to ring my work number (how they got it I don't know), but they continually do it - you could even set your watch by it.

Is there anything I can do about their conduct?
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    mrdavie wrote: »
    I have had it with this company.

I have specifically asked them on 4 or 5 occasions not to ring my work number (how they got it I don't know), but they continually do it - you could even set your watch by it.

Is there anything I can do about their conduct?

Report them to the OFT and Trading Standards.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    I am another victim of CRAPQUEST :D:D:D (got to say this name has them down to a tee :T :T :T). I took out an egg loan in 2004 and had it refinance in 2005 when the loan and card was merged. In september 2006 it was passed to these numpties! I contacted them and had this little creep telling me to act in order for it not to be taken any further - I mean how arrogant!! There persistent harrassment of trying to increase payments beggars beliefs.

The other day last week I rang them to enquire about a settlement as at the time it was £785 and after the june payment it is down to £690. They said that theycould give me an amount of £588 in one go I said can I pay that over 3 months and they said no so I hung up :D I then put my request in writing and got a very funny reply on thursday.

They rejected my proposal and said that it would be put on hold and that I had to contact them by July 9th - if not then further action will be taken! So I ask for a settlement figure to allow them to get the money quicker which ensures they complete the work for the client and they get agressive! I ring them to try and figure out what the crack is and this bloke said it was an error and apolgoised and I said what is the settlement figure and I said can I pay it over 3 months and he said no. I said that I was offered a 3 month plan last yr and then he said that was last year they only last for a period of time then expire - that being the proposal. I then said put a note on the account not to offer any more settlement to which is agreed.

I then sent a fax saying that I want my 3 monthly offer agreed as they have cocked up big time by sending an incorrect letter and that it isnt on - I have also said that it raises questions over my data protection. I will get in touch with the oft as I quoted some of theire guidlines and I will defo complain to data protection.

Either way these vermin are joke and need to be dealt with accordingly!! :mad::mad::mad:
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    MWAUGH1983 wrote: »
    I am another victim of CRAPQUEST :D:D:D (got to say this name has them down to a tee :T :T :T). I took out an egg loan in 2004 and had it refinance in 2005 when the loan and card was merged. In september 2006 it was passed to these numpties! I contacted them and had this little creep telling me to act in order for it not to be taken any further - I mean how arrogant!! There persistent harrassment of trying to increase payments beggars beliefs.

The other day last week I rang them to enquire about a settlement as at the time it was £785 and after the june payment it is down to £690. They said that theycould give me an amount of £588 in one go I said can I pay that over 3 months and they said no so I hung up :D I then put my request in writing and got a very funny reply on thursday.

They rejected my proposal and said that it would be put on hold and that I had to contact them by July 9th - if not then further action will be taken! So I ask for a settlement figure to allow them to get the money quicker which ensures they complete the work for the client and they get agressive! I ring them to try and figure out what the crack is and this bloke said it was an error and apolgoised and I said what is the settlement figure and I said can I pay it over 3 months and he said no. I said that I was offered a 3 month plan last yr and then he said that was last year they only last for a period of time then expire - that being the proposal. I then said put a note on the account not to offer any more settlement to which is agreed.

I then sent a fax saying that I want my 3 monthly offer agreed as they have cocked up big time by sending an incorrect letter and that it isnt on - I have also said that it raises questions over my data protection. I will get in touch with the oft as I quoted some of theire guidlines and I will defo complain to data protection.

Either way these vermin are joke and need to be dealt with accordingly!! :mad::mad::mad:

These trats go to one extreme to the other. I sent them the letter of complaint as they cocked up with their first reply. I then get a letter today which is the same letter that they sent last wk - I was fuming!! I ring them up to speak to complaints and then the guy said is it anything I can help him with and I explained so he checked with his manager if they would accept me paying over 3 months and he did. So the balance will come down from 690 quid down to £561 with 3 payments of £187. I am saving £129 which isnt bad - I only have to pay them an extra £11 from the settlement I wanted so there isnt a point in trying to sell a dead horse. I will have to ring them after the payment in september and that will be that. Either way it will be good when I get shot of these numptys. Got to say the gentlement I spoke was sound - very polite and reasonable unlike the other idiots. When you ring you must hit random offices as they have offices in scotland and in the fleet and also africa surprisingly; so I would say that it depends on who you talk to.
  • Dave3022
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have also been having problems with this lot. I got a letter from them at the end of may demanding payment for a debt which i do not acknowlage. On the 12th of june i asked them using the letter at the top of the page to send me the CCA for the debt. Then on the 8th of july i got a reply letter which stated that enclosed were the documents which i had requested. What i got was a photo copy of what looks like statments for a credit card on four sheets of A4 double sides with no name on them just my name and ref number at the header of the paper. The statments are incomplet by the looks of thing sarting in 24/11/2001 going to 25/05/2003 ending there and begining again in 24/04/2008 and running to 24/06/2009. Surely this is not what you are ment to get when you ask for the CCA. :rolleyes: Can any one help with a reply to this all advice welcome.

Thanks Dave3022
  • saf7670
    saf7670 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    In the early 1990's I had a debt with credit cards and was unable to pay. I never to my knowledge was taken to court or had any proceeding taken against me.
    I then never heard anything about the debt until I suddenly received a letter from Cap Quest saying they had bought the debt in August 2006 and was proceeding to take action to make me bankrupt.
    Today I have received a statutory demand under section 268(1) of the insolvency act 1986.
    This demand says I have 2 choices:
    1. Pay the debt immediately
    2. Within 18 days , Apply to have the statutory demand set aside.

I am now unsure as to what to do as I had been advised that the debt would have been time barred after 6 years, ie : 2000. And that legal action could not be taken against me.

The debt does not appear on my credit reference file.

If I apply to the court to have the statutory demand set aside, am I acknowledging the debt and then required to pay?
    Do I ignore this demand?

I am a disabled individual who lives on benefits and classed as unemployable. I own my house and fear losing it if they are able to make me bankrupt as they threaten.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
  • corturp
    corturp Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Money Saving Experts,

My wife received a letter from CapQuest on 27/07/09 chasing a debt from Abbey National for £5756.56. Today she has received a letter from Abbey confirming they have sold the "debt" to CapQuest. BUT, my wife has no knowledge of this debt as she has not held an account (except a saving account) with Abbey for at least 11 years. She did go bankrupt around 11-12 years ago but cannot remember if there was any debt owing to Abbey at that time. What shall we do? Contact Abbey or CapQuest?

Regards Andy
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    corturp wrote: »
    Hi Money Saving Experts,

My wife received a letter from CapQuest on 27/07/09 chasing a debt from Abbey National for £5756.56. Today she has received a letter from Abbey confirming they have sold the "debt" to CapQuest. BUT, my wife has no knowledge of this debt as she has not held an account (except a saving account) with Abbey for at least 11 years. She did go bankrupt around 11-12 years ago but cannot remember if there was any debt owing to Abbey at that time. What shall we do? Contact Abbey or CapQuest?

Regards Andy

If it is hers then it will either be statute barred or included in the bankruptcy.

Either way, they can'tclaim any of it.

I would just send them the first letter in this post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=19426147&postcount=48

That should make them either "bog off" or force them to provide some details if they wish to claim that is not the case.

There are other letters you could send, but that one may knock it on the head more quickly and save hassle.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • corturp
    corturp Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Fermi, I will keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure