Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always look for a sign
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • phoebe03cat
    Options
    Hi money maker shaker. I had the same conversation with Tesco helpline BUT now pay for Tesco on line with AMex. You have to change the card number before you check out on the main site. When you go to checkout just edit the card details. Works great for me... :money:
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Amex Platinum. Its says cahsback paid on the anniversary of having the card. How long have you had to wait to get it credited to the card account?

My anniversary was 2 weeks ago. I have'nt called yet I thought I would ask here first.
  • buzlighty1
    Options
    Visa credit card are generally accepted everywhere i find. Amex is usually accepted in most eating establishments i find though.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bootman,

The aniversary is 1 year from the date of your first statement. Contacted Amex about this the other day when i had reached my year and they told me it would be 16 March and if I looked on my account on the net the following day it would be there.

Hope that answers your question.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have found places which take Amex but no not display the fact. It can often pay to ask. ODEON cinema is my recent find. They just had the usual VISA and Mastercard stickers up when I went to buy tickets, but I asked if they took Amex and the cashier said yes!! They also took Amex to pay for the popcorn and drinks.

Actually, I found this was the case with Zara, the high street clothes retailer. No sign by displayed, but when I asked if they accepted AmEx, they took it without any questions. Strange it may be, but I think it could be a marketing trick to get you to use an alternative card.
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    isasmurf wrote:
    OK, just got back from Asda's. I successfully paid by Amex, so it's still accepted. In fact, I didn't have to tell the cashier that it wasn't chip'n pin. He swiped it automatically. :)

I have the new Lloyds TSB Amex reward card (where you earn points on purchases, which you can convert into vouchers to spend in various high street stores, etc), and it has arrived this week, complete with a chip and a pin. I'm intending to use this as my main spending card, in order to get the benefit of the vouchers, and using the 45 days free credit before paying the balance in full. :o
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
  • mike1_2
    mike1_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Not long owned AMEX plat , knocked back twice so far , kwick save (on list) and by harringtons leisure and caravan world of cheshire , they said would never acccept because of the charge to them.
    notice some people talking about not having pins for AMEX , i have and works the same as any other card
    Mike
  • W99
    W99 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am well and truly shocked that John Lewis doesn't take Amex - it's one of the biggest department stores on Oxford Street in London.

I wish I'd read this forum before traipsing all the way there and then putting everything in my basket. The embarrassment at the checkout - in the end I had to use a debit card (thankfully I had one on me).

The reason for getting one in the first place was because it was a whole 3% less interest than my Visa, but it sort of defeats the object if you can't use it!
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Ive got amex blue card and still have'nt got a pin number.I have to sign everywhere which really confuses checkout staff as they are so used to the chip and pin system- they sometimes are clueless and process the sale without signiture or pin number!.This makes me think that there is a major risk of fraud unless amex pull their finger out!!.........Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure