Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• fellsider
    fellsider Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    The engineers are here and fitting it right now.
    Very efficient.
    Brilliant!!

Still waiting to hear from British Gas!!!!

:j
  • writeaboutnow
    Options
    I received a call from British Gas yesterday, 11 days after first speaking to the Energy Savings Trust who had advised it could take 2-3 weeks before I heard anything. The first guy I spoke to explained they would be able to confirm a straightforward, like-for-like boiler replacement as soon as the assessment had taken place, when other checks would also be made, such as the condition of pipework and radiators, etc. Should there be any need for additional work in this respect, then this would need paying for (fair enough). All was looking hopeful for setting up a date for their assessor to do his bit... until I was told there wasn't one currently in my area and I would have to wait for another call to arrange the appointment, which could take a further 2 weeks. SO frustrating! It didn't make any difference that I have no heating or hot running water, as it was pointed out, this was not an emergency call-out service. In the meantime, I am trying not to let it cloud my life and hope that the follow-up call comes early again... it's like a series of challenges involving a tantalisingly, just-out-of-reach dangling carrot!!!
  • infin8
    infin8 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I phoned British Gas about the scheme and I was told that I will be eligible to have my boiler replaced for free. Great! All I have to do is call for an appointment for inspection of my current heating system & benefit document check. Each time I am told that there is nobody in the area and I should wait for a call from them as they will call me when they're available in my area. I call them again each month as I don't trust waiting for them to call me, and they say the same thing. I tried to claim in November, and now the winter is nearly over. It's a really poor effort if you ask me.
  • OAP80wallace
    Options
    Hi Fellsider, Glad all is going well with your new boiler.
    I had a letter from Bierce Technical Services who are checking up on the quality of work of the installers. He checked the work and noted the anything but happy experience I have had with Swale Heating. I am glad that someone has been appointed to monitor all these installations. Hope that is the end of it and now so that I can paint around the wall at last, as this boiler is a different size to the old one. Lets hope that is the end of a very nerve-racking experience. Good luck to everyone else.
  • writeaboutnow
    Options
    infin8 wrote: »
    I phoned British Gas about the scheme and I was told that I will be eligible to have my boiler replaced for free. Great! All I have to do is call for an appointment for inspection of my current heating system & benefit document check. Each time I am told that there is nobody in the area and I should wait for a call from them as they will call me when they're available in my area. I call them again each month as I don't trust waiting for them to call me, and they say the same thing. I tried to claim in November, and now the winter is nearly over. It's a really poor effort if you ask me.

Unbelievable! Reading that was the equivalent of flapping a big red rag to a bull :mad: I got straight on the phone and asked why this was happening, the explanation was that the assessor allocated to my area had left and the manager was working on getting a replacement, until such time I would have to wait for the call. Refusing to go quietly, I then queried if this was the reason being given to everyone, like me, to explain away the delays as it would seem more than one area was affected? The response was that more than one assessor had quit, that they very often don't turn up for appointments (!?!?!) and that British Gas don't know this until their 'long-suffering' (my description, not theirs!) customers inform them. I responded that it was a ridiculous state of affairs that they appeared not to have measures in place to deal with such an unacceptable issue and asked to be put through to the manager 'working on the solution'... of course, he/she will need to return my call within 24-48 hours... I'm ready...!!
  • OAP80wallace
    Options
    Unbelievable! Reading that was the equivalent of flapping a big red rag to a bull :mad: I got straight on the phone and asked why this was happening, the explanation was that the assessor allocated to my area had left and the manager was working on getting a replacement, until such time I would have to wait for the call. Refusing to go quietly, I then queried if this was the reason being given to everyone, like me, to explain away the delays as it would seem more than one area was affected? The response was that more than one assessor had quit, that they very often don't turn up for appointments (!?!?!) and that British Gas don't know this until their 'long-suffering' (my description, not theirs!) customers inform them. I responded that it was a ridiculous state of affairs that they appeared not to have measures in place to deal with such an unacceptable issue and asked to be put through to the manager 'working on the solution'... of course, he/she will need to return my call within 24-48 hours... I'm ready...!!
    Good for you, but doesn't it take a lot of energy? I forgot to mention, the quality inspector from Bierce this morning did say he was reading our blogs. GOOOOOOOOOOD.::j:T
  • writeaboutnow
    Options
    Good for you, but doesn't it take a lot of energy? I forgot to mention, the quality inspector from Bierce this morning did say he was reading our blogs. GOOOOOOOOOOD.::j:T

Not to mention time... does this quality inspector chase up unreliable assessors or monitor their attendance rates, by any chance?!! Any proper-job assessors out there looking for work - British Gas are desperate - please, please apply!!! ;)
  • mgararte
    mgararte Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for a "free" boiler through SSE last April. I had 2 assesors come out as the first one lost some paperwork. After lots of time and phonecalls I had two technical people come out the first one said they may be asbestos in the cupboard where the boiler was going to be but that removal of it would probably be included in the grant and if not they would add on the cost to my contribution towards the boiler. Carrillion who SSE employ to oversee the whole procedure weren't happy with that and sent another assesor out who said we would either have to have the artex ceiling tested (where the suspected asbestos is) and then have it removed or the boiler could be put in a bedroom cupboard. I looked into the cost of testing and removal and it was going to be in excess of £700. Carriliion agreed to the boiler being in the bedroom cupboard but we have now been told we have to contribute £462 towards the cost. This is after being told by the instalation company it would be in the region of £320 plus VAT. I emailed Carrillion to ask what brand of boiler would be fitted as although I don't mind paying towards the cost we are on a low income so it is a lot of money for us and I wanted to know we were getting a reliable boiler. They replied to say it would be a Ideal Logic HE Combi 24KW,and I would have a 2 year warrantee on what has been installed, and this is for all parts and labour that the engineers have fitted. I have looked online and this boiler has very bad reviews so as I have had so many problems with getting to this stage and now they are offering an unreliable boiler I am unsure whether to cancel altogether. Our current boiler although old is reliable and I am reluctant to pay to change it for a new but potentially unreliable boiler. Any advice appreciated!
  • OAP80wallace
    Options
    Not to mention time... does this quality inspector chase up unreliable assessors or monitor their attendance rates, by any chance?!! Any proper-job assessors out there looking for work - British Gas are desperate - please, please apply!!! ;)
    No, I don't suppose having a technical assessor from Bierce inspect will make any difference. Just another level in the long chain of people who are benefiting from these 'free' boilers. Even all my complaints only went to Ofgem 'for their records'.
    Interesting that on person on the forum was asked for a certain amount '+VAT' I haven't come across that before. Still, it is a few more £££ they can take off us for the "free"boilers.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mgararte wrote: »
    I applied for a "free" boiler through SSE last April. I had 2 assesors come out as the first one lost some paperwork. After lots of time and phonecalls I had two technical people come out the first one said they may be asbestos in the cupboard where the boiler was going to be but that removal of it would probably be included in the grant and if not they would add on the cost to my contribution towards the boiler. Carrillion who SSE employ to oversee the whole procedure weren't happy with that and sent another assesor out who said we would either have to have the artex ceiling tested (where the suspected asbestos is) and then have it removed or the boiler could be put in a bedroom cupboard. I looked into the cost of testing and removal and it was going to be in excess of £700. Carriliion agreed to the boiler being in the bedroom cupboard but we have now been told we have to contribute £462 towards the cost. This is after being told by the instalation company it would be in the region of £320 plus VAT. I emailed Carrillion to ask what brand of boiler would be fitted as although I don't mind paying towards the cost we are on a low income so it is a lot of money for us and I wanted to know we were getting a reliable boiler. They replied to say it would be a Ideal Logic HE Combi 24KW,and I would have a 2 year warrantee on what has been installed, and this is for all parts and labour that the engineers have fitted. I have looked online and this boiler has very bad reviews so as I have had so many problems with getting to this stage and now they are offering an unreliable boiler I am unsure whether to cancel altogether. Our current boiler although old is reliable and I am reluctant to pay to change it for a new but potentially unreliable boiler. Any advice appreciated!
    I think that you will have difficulty finding a new boiler which is as reliable as a good old boiler because they are just not made as well. Nothing is built to last, replacement parts and service contracts are where the money is made so why make something which is reliable?

I had a free boiler fitted in Christmas 2008, a Vaillant Ecotec 824 and recently found out that they fitted the exhaust flu incorrectly and they cracked/split it while fitting. I've also had hot water problems on the upstairs bathroom basin making it practically unusable because the flow rate diminishes to practically zero. It's fine on the bath where the tap is lower.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback