July 2013 - Take Your Lunch To Work Thread

Options

Comments

• Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Shortie wrote: »
    Nice new shiney thread for July - I only realise this morning that we were IN July - whoops!

It didn't even occur to me to look for a new month link until I read your post on the June thread, so you were a step ahead of me at least!

Some of you may recall my toothache problem last week, well it turned into full blown feeling very sorry for myself toothache on Friday, after a trip to the dentist and and a course of antibiotics & painkillers, I had the tooth pulled today... I did manage some lunch today, with difficulty, but forced myself to do it because of the brufen I needed to take for pain relief (I don't want to add tummyache to the equation!). I think I'll be on soup for the rest of the week with chunks of nice soft white bread to dunk in it. Hope everyone has a successful LTW July :D
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    I made it up:

Serves 4:

Oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    Dried chilli flakes - you decide the amount based on your spicy needs!
    1 carrot, diced
    1 tin leaf spinach
    1 tin chick peas, drained
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Handful lentils

Heat the oil then fry the cumin seeds for a minute or so. Add the onion and fry until softened. Add the turmeric and chill and fry for a further minute or so.

Add diced carrot, give it all a stir then add the 3 tins and the lentils and stir to combine. Fill one tin with water and add.

Cook until the carrots and lentils are soft and the consistency feels right :)

Hope you enjoy it!

It sounds good!I love curries,my current favourite is black-eyed bean and mushroom.

I'm very good about taking in my meals to work and am looking for some new ideas.

I had a plain yogurt with rhubarb compote for my break and a mixed salad with HM dressing for lunch with a slice of bread.
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh I have several tins of black eyes beans to use up, could I have the recipe please?
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    Options
    Morning! A flying visit from me but I'll check properly at lunchtime

Again I didn't get organised last night but still got a cheese sandwich sorted for lunch so moneywise still okay. Have yeterday's banana for breakfast and have a caramel snack-a-jack for an afternoon snack
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

I decided to come in to work today seeing as I'm not infectious and I'd only get even more bored at home! Going to the cinema after work with bf so I made sure to bring plenty in to avoid post work munchies getting too much!

So today I am having; cauliflower and horseradish soup, tuna mayo sammich and then fruit followed by some mini gingerbread men. Brought in a couple of dime bar minis from the bar that bf got me from his tournament too as a sweet treat :)

At the cinema I'm expecting there will be a drink for bf (don't think we should share tonight seeing as I'm ill!) and possibly some popcorn between us. I will sneak in a chocolate bar/bag and a bottle of drink me thinks. Tea will be a pizza shared between us (create your own from ASDA, bought and frozen on Sunday so I lifted it out to defrost this morning - quite looking forward to it if I'm honest!)

Found some porridge pots (slightly out of date) in the cupboard at home so have brought a couple of those in to keep in my draw here plus a couple of porridge portions from the free breakfast Graze box I had - they really do need using so will probably have them at some point this week when I need to be in work slightly earlier :) I have also brought I in a large bowl and filled it with 3 bananas, 3 apples and half a dozen satsumas for when snacky feelings hit.

Only day two of July but I'm feeling positive about keeping organised and remembering to make lunch everyday I need it! I never forget bf's but often forget my own!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Lushlifesaver - that soup sounds delish!!

Brought in today, breakfast - 2 weetabix and my own milk and for lunch/snacks - HM bread and cheese sandwich with 2 satsumas. Yummy!
    Nessy x
    House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    agreenmess - it is. It's also the quickest and easiest soup I make.

Boil as much cauliflower as you feel like in enough stock to cover the florets (veg or chicken stock) (I even use frozen cauli florets to make it easier haha). When soft, blend until smooth. Stir in as much horseradish as desired (usually only need a teaspoon for a reasoabl sized pan (4 decent portions). Consume :)
    You can add an onion too if you fancy it, just soften the onion a bit first before adding the cauli and stock.

Just eating lunch whilst working then going to take myself off out on hours walk for my lunch break :)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend in work had eaten some of the stuff I had brought in to work so today I have had Ken Hom Mushroom noodles yum which she bought for me as a thank you

Breakfast was peanut butter on toast from staff goodies (we pay into a kitty now and again)
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    Can I come back? I've been a bad monkey *nods* :p

I disappeared during the March thread just randomly, I tried to take LTW but I'd be lying if It ried to say I managed all the time, soooo clean slate!! And I did it yesterday and today is my day off so whoop!!

*waves at everyone*

xx
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! I'm so hungry I thnink I could eat my handbag, lol. Can't decide between leftovers for lunch tonight (super bean-packed chilli con carni for dinner tonight) or cous cous...

I bought in milk today as my turn -3/4 of us take turns to buy in milk for tea but otherwise I'm still dong well :)

Welcome back SmarteNotHarder. I think it was around March that I also vanishes off the face of the MSE board. Glad I'm back though!
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport