Aldi Facebook Page Kicking Off after Parking Eye LBAs

edited 21 January 2014 at 10:52AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
2.4K replies 280K views

Replies

• Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still not a proper management system as it doesn't stop people parking up and going off-site to do shopping.

Or doesn't mention the parking time limits are normally set by planning permissions.

A proper car-park management system will manage the car-park and will rarely issue "tickets", sadly Parking Eye's 1st priority is making money with management of car-parks down the list.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any customer feels that they have received a charge unfairly, please do let us know and we are more than happy to look into appeals on a case by case basis.

A POPLA appeal is the more predictable way of binning any PCN, by 'appealing' to Aldi themselves you could find yourself running out of time to commence the POPLA route via PE. This is not that much better an appeals service than that offered by ANPR Trev!
    ParkingEye also has a fair appeals service and customers can appeal directly with them

Aldi has absolutely no idea; it looks to me that PE have provided the wording for this.

And there's still no comment on whether Aldi are supporting PE in pursuing legal proceedings against their very own customers. Utterly pathetic.

Even more people pressurise via FB seems inevitable.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 23 June 2013 at 9:56PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 June 2013 at 9:56PM
    This is terrible that Aldi don't seem to have taken on board that their agent is systematically suing Aldi customers (among other victims in various car parks) and then gearing up to crow about it on their website. We are not just talking about people being annoyed by a fake parking ticket Aldi, your customers are being SUED!!!!!

Not only that, in many cases it's regarding an alleged 'overstay' which could easily be:

- caused by Aldi themselves if the customer has shopped locally (as allowed by many Planning Consents) then popped into Aldi only to be held up at the tills

- a 'mistake' with the cameras regarding 2 visits (we all know that's common)

- a disabled or elderly person who needs to take longer when shopping and is protected by the Equality Act. Aldi and PE know about this but only allow extra time to disabled people in SOME stores, not others!

This will all end in tears. :eek:

Look at how Somerfield suffered when they tried to get out of a PE contract because PE were allegedly 'too aggressive' with their enforcement of fake PCNs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Aldi FB
    John Shentonposted toAldi UK
    58 minutes ago
    In law all you can claim from drivers who overstay in your carparks are losses caused by their actions. By your own admission in your recent statement 'We would like to assure our customers that Aldi does not receive any revenue from these parking measures.'. If you are not suffering any loss, what exactly are PE suing for. It is obvious that the parking charges are unlawful penalties

Now this seems like a bit of a Catch 22 for them (although I'm sure they wouldn't be able to even start to understand the significance of their admission) - which way you going to turn now Aldi? Getting closer to being painted into a corner. What a total disaster.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • atillaatilla Forumite
    862 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Kite2010 wrote: »

A proper car-park management system will manage the car-park and will rarely issue "tickets", sadly Parking Eye's 1st priority is making money with management of car-parks down the list.
    Indeed, and on their latest companies accounts they proudly boast that they expect revenues to increase courtesy of POFA.
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think a screenshot of that statement by Aldi would be good to add to any Aldi popla appeal or small claim, it may not be conclusive with anything legal but it does paint a picture
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stroma wrote: »
    Think a screenshot of that statement by Aldi would be good to add to any Aldi popla appeal or small claim, it may not be conclusive with anything legal but it does paint a picture

Agreed, that and the quote from Patrick Troy of the BPA in Parliament, when he admitted that fake PCNs are unenforceable unless they are a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I see the aldi FB page with the Aldi statement now attracted all the whining about bad parking, this is precise ppcs have such an easy ride when getting big retail names to sign their punitive (think Sommerfield v parking eye) contracts.

If people would be more considerate and less selfish or buried in their smart phones texting like mad squirrels then ppcs business would become superfluous.
  • HO87HO87 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Agreed, that and the quote from Patrick Troy of the BPA in Parliament, when he admitted that fake PCNs are unenforceable unless they are a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    But he's also caught by one of his other comments - and all the BPA AOS members with him - which he made whilst giving evidence to the Public Bill Committee at an early stage of the formulation of what was to become POFA.

Shone McIsaac MP asked him (Question 215 at Column 104 - Click here for the whole transcript):
    UK Parking Control is one of your members. That company gives rise to the vast majority of complaints from my constituents. One has come in in the past couple of days. These notices look very formal. The charge is £100. You were talking earlier about what is a reasonable amount; frankly, my constituents do not think that that is reasonable. They describe these people as cowboys. They resent these companies, which they see as cowboys, using intimidatory tactics to get hold of their personal details
    Our dear friend replied:
    Two things that consumers most when they use car parks, whether local authority car parks or private [sic]. One is the size of the penalty charge and the other is the lack of signage. We tackled those two issues head on in our code of practice. You will find that the charge is more or less similar to that in the local authority sector. We try to base it, as far as possible, on that.
    [my emphasis]

He openly admits that this figure agreed - which continues to appear in the CoP - is based on the local authority statutorily enforceable penalty charge levels NOT a genuine pre-estimate of loss. To make it entirely clear what he meant he went on to say in reply to a further question by Shona McIsaac MP:
    In developing our code of practice, when dealing with the level of charge, we tried to reflect what goes on in the wider regulated world, and I think we have done that.
    Could that be any clearer? Besides, as we all know that human nature being what it is if you establish a so-called regime (the AOS CoP) with a suggested level of maximum charge and guess what? The vast majority of your members will come up to that level. Trying to tack on the requirement that any charge must represent a "genuine pre-estimate of loss" is little more than weasel-words given that our Patrick has laid bare his, and the BPA's, reasoning for coming up with the £100 charge in the first place.

It might even be suggested by one of a militant view that that figure was chosen so as to blur to an even greater extent the boundary between unregulated, unenforceable "civil charges" and TMA 2004 governed penalty charges.

Towards the end of his evidence Patrick made reference to an alleged practice once employed by clamping companies which he described as follows:
    ...I am not so familiar with circumstances where landowners have had an arm twisted behind their back to allow operators to carry out enforcement on their land. I am aware of operators approaching landowners to say, “Let us manage your land for you and we’ll give you £50 for every clamp that we apply.” That is unacceptable and something we are trying to stamp out of the industry at the moment. I have to be honest, that is not in our code but we want to put it in the next version of the code. As you self-regulate, you discover another way round that problem and we need to take action.
    In less than 50 words - on the back of a postcard - could anyone please explain to me the difference between a clamper offering a bounty to the landlord for every clamp he applied and a PPC offering a similar payment for every ticket he issued?

There is still nothing in the CoP about this practice. One wonders why?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far today there is a deafening silence on Aldi's Facebook page from any company reps. I wonder if there is one big damage limitation exercise taking place, or are Aldi hoping that by keeping stum people will just go away and stop bothering them?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide