Replies

• alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hugs Ctc. Big hugs.

We have the kitchen painted. Need to put it back together now

25bd2bc7f52b84069da63bded1b173b4.jpg

Colours never really come out on screens!

Garden looking better than it did a few weeks ago. Bind weed is a bit of a terror though. Hopefully get some weeding in this weekend, before it all chokes!

i must say this room is a stunning size and design and looked fab [imo] so must be amazing now !!
    having seen the before and after, believe me LIR and co. may take thier time but the results of the transformation from what the building was is sooooooo well done..:D
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We do things at a snails pace. We might finish the kitchen one day, for now I'm popping the temporary kitchen back. :). It's growing on me anyway.

It's hot hot hot here today and been blazingly sunny. The builders just turned up so the sun is just about to go in ;)
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I just opened the north kitchen doors and for the first time I got a real whiff of roses pouring in through the door.

A moment where it felt like I'm getting something right!
  • ItismehonestItismehonest Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    :D

It is hard to see the colour from the photos but, what we can see, looks good, LIR :cool:

Are the A frames staying exposed?
    You know I like that look as you've seen pictures of this place where we have pitch-pine beams & frames in some rooms.
    The old beams in the centre of the house are oak but there have been all types of wood incorporated into the place across the centuries.
  • edited 19 June 2013 at 2:16PM
    lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 June 2013 at 2:16PM
    :D

It is hard to see the colour from the photos but, what we can see, looks good, LIR :cool:

Are the A frames staying exposed?
    You know I like that look as you've seen pictures of this place where we have pitch-pine beams & frames in some rooms.
    The old beams in the centre of the house are oak but there have been all types of wood incorporated into the place across the centuries.

Snails pace decision on a frames/beams. They are exposed for now. On the basis that its easier than add than to take away. Originally I wanted to put a wash on them. Frankly, I'd still prefer to, but it is true that if I do that in a few years time it will feel like a who
    E change when actually it will just be maturation of a plan, so plan is to see how we feel in a few years.

The age difference is clear. That one is new elm, the old one (with some white pain on it and not pictures) is older elm, as are two of the exposed bits in the ceiling. The very central bit of wood is soft wood.

It sounds a visual mess, but actually, it all works. Different yes, but shows progression well.

This is the paint
    http://www.littlegreene.com/salix

On my screen that looks more 'Cotswolds safe sage' than it does on the wall. On the wall it varies from almost silvery white to ice blue passing through a soft spearmint. The pictures we are hanging in the room are quite dark backgrounds. It looks quite alarmingly chic. I'm sure I'll choose naff enough curtains to put paid to that, (in fact the fabric decision is really difficult because I know what I want but it doesn't exist here)

We thought long and hard about mixing our own paint on your advice because it sounds so much fun and so real and 'heartfelt' but decided the ease of buying for patching up etc was just too tempting. ;). So we've bought.
  • rhiwfieldrhiwfield Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Lir, its coming together :T

Hot and sultry here. Not helped by need to wear thick cotton tops. After being stalked by Tabanus bromius for the last month the true silent assassin is now out, Haematopota pluvialis. :(

And the cabbage root fly is going after my icicle radish :mad:

And the gardener who was going to help today to save my bad back called off, he's injured his back!

Record sales this month, and its still only the 19th, AND theres a whole load of stuff sold at bricks & mortar auction today not yet counted :j
    4.4K Posts
    Snails pace decision on a frames/beams. They are exposed for now. On the basis that its easier than add than to take away. Originally I wanted to put a wash on them. Frankly, I'd still prefer to, but it is true that if I do that in a few years time it will feel like a who
    E change when actually it will just be maturation of a plan, so plan is to see how we feel in a few years.

The age difference is clear. That one is new elm, the old one (with some white pain on it and not pictures) is older elm, as are two of the exposed bits in the ceiling. The very central bit of wood is soft wood.

It sounds a visual mess, but actually, it all works. Different yes, but shows progression well.

This is the paint
    http://www.littlegreene.com/salix

On my screen that looks more 'Cotswolds safe sage' than it does on the wall. On the wall it varies from almost silvery white to ice blue passing through a soft spearmint. The pictures we are hanging in the room are quite dark backgrounds. It looks quite alarmingly chic. I'm sure I'll choose naff enough curtains to put paid to that, (in fact the fabric decision is really difficult because I know what I want but it doesn't exist here)

We thought long and hard about mixing our own paint on your advice because it sounds so much fun and so real and 'heartfelt' but decided the ease of buying for patching up etc was just too tempting. ;). So we've bought.

I think it's sensible to take things slowly. The wood will change colour as it ages. If you were to wash it you might have real problems if you changed your mind & decided to go for a natural look. Beams can't exactly be hauled of to dip ;)

I like the colour & know what you mean about it changing in different lights etc.
    The mixing own thing was for limewash to get exactly the shade you want. Some of our rooms are done that way, others are off-the-shelf limewash & the new parts of the building (with modern plaster) get emulsion.

What fabric would you like ideally?
    4.4K Posts
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Lir, its coming together :T

Hot and sultry here. Not helped by need to wear thick cotton tops. After being stalked by Tabanus bromius for the last month the true silent assassin is now out, Haematopota pluvialis. :(

And the cabbage root fly is going after my icicle radish :mad:

And the gardener who was going to help today to save my bad back called off, he's injured his back!

Record sales this month, and its still only the 19th, AND theres a whole load of stuff sold at bricks & mortar auction today not yet counted :j

I bet you don't call them Tabanus bromius or Haematopota pluvialis when the b*ggers bite you, rhiw :D
  • rhiwfieldrhiwfield Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    I bet you don't call them Tabanus bromius or Haematopota pluvialis when the b*ggers bite you, rhiw :D

Swear filter would have a breakdown if I repeated what I truly call those ~*[email protected]*#.
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What fabric would you like ideally?

Ideal, if budget were no option, would be crewel work, on a neutral grey/grey beige of monkeys and fruits and strange exotic animals. This would be seriously pricey. So I am looking for a print of something similar. There are plenty quite cheaply in America! :D. The problem is there are two big doors/windows opposite each other, and I have to be careful with fabric not to 'bring the room in' by using a strong colour or something that comes forward too much.

Exotic, old fashioned monkeys in clothes in drab colours looking faded from bright. Every one should stock it:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides