Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs

edited 16 June 2013 at 7:15AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9.4K replies 363.9K views

Replies

• lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    is that what they call it these days;):D:D:D:D

so glad Alfie... now you know I have a caravan fetish:D I love them.. so pics would be nice.

LIR... I know I should, but I am just a push over when it comes to my boys... they are my babies, and allways will be. they are 17 and 18. One drives, the other one doesnt

Luceille.. good news about your son's check up:T

Babies and loved is one thing, stopping you live your dream and get an income, however meagrely from renting the supermarket lodge is another IMO.

You are so warm I just know you are a loving mum, and I'm not a mother at all, so I am going to shut up....grudgingly because I care.:o
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :TBetter Days, well done!party-smiley-017.gif I can see you and DH having many happy, hard work days in that garden, which already looks interesting. Fingers crossed for the paperwork and legals. :)

It's difficult to say what your lads should do CTC, though once they're 18 the extra freedom should cut both ways. DW and I both suffered at the hands of parents who had the building/DIY bug, but we were well under 18 at the time.:( Nowadays, it's fine if the young person of 18 is at uni, but if they're not, there may be little chance of them striking out on their own for a good few years.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Sorry Eric, Kanami Tono is now God
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i will get pics of the "van"...it looks like a cut and shut....:rotfl::rotfl:

its dinky... has a flat back with a door in it and inside has been used as a birdwatching van i think.
    i want to get all retro fittings for it so CTC i will need moquette /floral material for seat and curtains and RHIWI i will need a likkle cooker/fire/heater and any thing in the lighting ....;)

if i have a fold down bed ...thats it full...:rotfl::rotfl:

i got an enamel pale pink sink the other week and have a metal pale pink hot water bed warmer [looks like a space ship] so far. tho not sure where/if sink will fit.:o

gotta think of a name for her....

lotta work needed :eek:
  • edited 17 June 2013 at 10:34PM
    COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2013 at 10:34PM
    LIR, you are right, but I just cant help the way I am, I always said that my dream would not effect my family ( while I was saving) and it has sort of carried one... its not that they don't want to move there, but not the way it is now...They don't earn enough money to live by themselves... flip my youngest, by the time he pays the £70 a month bus pass for work, that is a big chunk of his monthly wage.

Eldest monthly car insurance premium is more than our mortgage was when we first moved here..

Alfie what type of floral fabric are you looking for? 60's/70's big, bright bold, or 50's Cath Kidston style ditsy floral fabric???

Edit.... Aflie do you know a carpenter? that could do a clever bespoke fitted bed/sofa/bench, with maybe a fold down table????
    Work to live= not live to work
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh chintzy all the way..images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0zUDCVBgvExMMqyxLMksedL_DwVeCP-l2LKWOXHieDU0CZR2v

its a BIT like this but not so posh...at the mo...:rotfl::rotfl:
    the door is flush not inset... so ive gained 9" floor space already..:rotfl::rotfl:
  • rozeepozeerozeepozee Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Don't.... All this talk of caravans is making me feel very sad about the one we scrapped when we moved here. I'm now trying to remember why we felt the need to scrap it.... I think we were half deranged the first year we came here. Some of our decisions were far, far off the mark.

Good luck with the unloved bungalow, Better Days. Our's was unloved when we bought it. It's now being treated like a goddess! The transformation from ugly duckling to Sebastapol goose is ongoing!
  • rhiwfieldrhiwfield Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Alf, didnt George the renovation man do a series on making the best of small spaces? Might be on I-player?

CTC, it was a standing joke here that whenever one of my DDs brought home a boyfriend, he was expected to help with the garden construction, which was a massive exercise in moving large boulders, building walls, paths etc. Though I dont advocate sending young children down the mines (:D) , if ours wanted pocket money they had to earn it, if they borrowed they had to pay it back and once they reached maturity, I'd help with undergrad fees and living but after that they had to fund themselves.

Another 2-3 hours in the garden today though I'm under a 3-line whip not to bu**er up my back again as DW has booked a weekend away in place of the one I spoilt :o

Cut the beech hedge, it's nearly formed now, and was enveloped by a swarm of whitefly.

The garden is finally looking productive, gaps caused by poor germination being filled with transplants and new sowings. The key thing is all the permanent plants that give the garden structure, most of which produce useful fruit and herbs. The blackcurrants are over 20 years old but still produce masses of fruit each year :). Hints of ripening on them now so will get the nets on tomorrow.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just brushcutting today, but last night there was an amazing sunset.
    As DW had returned, I finally had a chance to use my new camera....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9074620327/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9076844070/

Considering the town is almost a mile away, that isn't bad! :)
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Sorry Eric, Kanami Tono is now God
  • stitching_witchstitching_witch Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely stunning! :D
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • Better_DaysBetter_Days Forumite
    2.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Just brushcutting today, but last night there was an amazing sunset.
    As DW had returned, I finally had a chance to use my new camera....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9074620327/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9076844070/

Considering the town is almost a mile away, that isn't bad! :)

Lovely photo's thanks for posting. :D
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support