Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs

edited 16 June 2013 at 7:15AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9.4K replies 364.1K views

Replies

• rhiwfieldrhiwfield Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Out at a late 8.45am (so neighbours didn't complain) and strimmed the paths, transpanted some seedlings, weeded some beds and thinned/summer pruned apple trees. By 10 am I'd done enough and the heavens opened for the day, spot on for the seedlings to bed in.

The forecast doesnt seem too bad, no long sunny stretches but at least the showers saves watering :o

Spent much of the day packing (after manic visit from GDs :D), hall full of parcels.
  • edited 17 June 2013 at 7:52AM
    rozeepozeerozeepozee Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2013 at 7:52AM
    I'm amazed I actually have some lettuce,beans, herbs, tomatoes, cucumber and courgette plants growing. It may sound rather paltry, but given we're living in a building site, I'm amazed that I've managed that. It's the start of the experiment about where things can grow. My OH poo-pooed the place I've wanted to put them because its north east and under trees, so a bit shady (it's not in the shadow of the house though, so some of it gets the late morning and some the afternoon sun). But, actually, things do grow there. Main thing is its the most sheltered place in the garden. The wind is our Achilles heel here. Apart from the dell (shade loving plants only) most of the other plants (trees and shrubs) blow horizontal in the winds....

Spent yesterday painting the chicken hut a fetching scheme of peacock blue and American barn red before its put together. Very tempted to get a trio of Norfolk Greys to go with the Jersey Giant chicks....
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    I'm amazed I actually have some lettuce,beans, herbs, tomatoes, cucumber and courgette plants growing. It may sound rather paltry, but given we're living in a building site, I'm amazed that I've managed that. It's the start of the experiment about where things can grow. My OH poo-pooed the place I've wanted to put them because its north east and under trees, so a bit shady (it's not in the shadow of the house though, so some of it gets the late morning and some the afternoon sun). But, actually, things do grow there. Main thing is its the most sheltered place in the garden. The wind is our Achilles heel here. Apart from the dell (shade loving plants only) most of the other plants (trees and shrubs) blow horizontal in the winds....

Spent yesterday painting the chicken hut a fetching scheme of peacock blue and American barn red before its put together. Very tempted to get a trio of Norfolk Greys to go with the Jersey Giant chicks....

You are doing way better than me with both veg and crooks ATM!

My garden grass has shot up through the week but its heavy wet, I don't fancy cutting it much. I seem to spend half my life cutting grass!

The grazed grass is holding up really well. Normally by now I'd expect to start seeing some yellow areas where it was being eaten faster than it grew, but its green everywhere, shortish, but green, The wet mildness suggests more grass growth....more thrush and lami for horses I fear.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sun is out:j:j:j

went to the dentist again today... had the start of a root filling, need to back in two weeks:o that will teach me, felt like a school kid, being given a raw fro drinking too many fizzy drinks:cool:

just having a cuppa, and then out to sow some seeds...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want .............RAIN.

We were supposed to have some last week (well lots last week) and got one short downpour and a couple of brief squalls on Saturday. Ground still as dry as a bone. Grrr.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Better_DaysBetter_Days Forumite
    2.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    An update:
    Just had call from EA - our offer on this garden with a tatty bungalow attached has been accepted! Woohoo. All your good wishes must have done the trick :):):)

Put in an offer for this garden (with a tatty bungalow attached) yesterday. Got to wait until Monday to find out if offer accepted. Its nail biting. Always wanted a bigger garden. I can have chucks again, and a pond. Its a blank canvas really, and if it all comes off it will keep DH busy for a while (poor chap he is not a natural gardener) :)
    2013-06-05171935_zpsc16384dc.jpg
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _party_:dance:_party_:dance:_party_:dance:

CONGRATS!!!!

WELL DONE... hope its not too stressfull from now to signing..was the offer alot lower than the asking price ?:cool::D, how long had it been on the market? are they now withdrawing it from the market?

YES i KNOW i AM NOSEY:p
    Work to live= not live to work
  • edited 17 June 2013 at 6:17PM
    RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2013 at 6:17PM
    Not sure if congratulations are in order, but might buy a bottle of bubbly in the hope that the rest of the purchase process goes smoothly? To break open on completion?

Edit PS I am envious.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RAS wrote: »
    Not sure if congratulations are in order, but might buy a bottle of bubbly in the hope that the rest of the purchase process goes smoothly? To break open on completion?

A crate of bubbly. First to be opened on completion. Subsequent bottles on each year you make it through :rotfl:

Congratulations batter days, it looks lovely. :)
  • Better_DaysBetter_Days Forumite
    2.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for all your congratulations. :):):)When we bought our last house 14 years ago I always regretted not having a bigger garden, so I am thrilled with this.

COOLTRIKERCHICK - in response to your queries - got 10% off AP (very fair ivo condition of property), only been on the market just over a week, and yes they are withdrawing from the market. Was a higher offer, but not proceedable. Have had the support of the EA who sold our property earlier this year during the negotiations, which has been invaluable.

Won't relax until we exchange, but no chain so hopefully will be a lot of an easier ride than when we sold (chain of 7). Then it will time for the bubbly!
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support