Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs

edited 16 June 2013 at 6:15AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9.4K replies 367.1K views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A benefit of taking up fishing again could be that I'll see something positive in rain. The stream garden is another. :)

We really need a bit of rain, as we dry out fast and some of the newly planted things were in wilt mode yesterday. I thrashed around with the brushcutter and mower to get everything done before any cloudbursts, so I felt pretty pleased, if totally exhausted, last night. Woke up this morning to remember we also have a front 'lawn!' :rotfl:
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    A benefit of taking up fishing again could be that I'll see something positive in rain. The stream garden is another. :)

We really need a bit of rain, as we dry out fast and some of the newly planted things were in wilt mode yesterday. I thrashed around with the brushcutter and mower to get everything done before any cloudbursts, so I felt pretty pleased, if totally exhausted, last night. Woke up this morning to remember we also have a front 'lawn!' :rotfl:

I didn't get our weekly grass cut and in parts its now knee length! It's astounding the rate its growing at.
  • rhiwfieldrhiwfield Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    This soft rain is very welcome here, and it keeps the flies away :D

Ground still very firm underfoot, one advantage of being on limestone.

CTC, difficult to know why people sell items at 99p on Ebay, never mind the waste of time its likely they lose money or make so little it just isnt worth it. Our courgettes (from BBC dig in seeds) are a week or two away from producing, but are now established and starting to grow quickly.
  • ItismehonestItismehonest Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Yes.

Luckily I usually go very rarely a,

However, I have found a good one am and courting a long term relationship with him, so am trying to go more regularly. He cut too much off last time but I'm thinking of actually getting some shape cut in to it in the future if things go well. It's extremely difficult to cut my hair as the 'spring' factor in the curl means that a cut can completely change shape. An inch cut off can actually make a curl say, four or five inches shorter as the change in weight means it curls up tighter, and doesn't curl evenly over a whole head:D. Add to that it curls differently each time its washed......it takes a hair dresser a long time to get to know each curly head.

I should have told those at the emergency met office meeting that some of the blame was mine. Infact, some more is mine.....it also rains when ever the builders come here. Double whammy today. :D

Sounds like you have hair like mine :(

Isn't it remarkable how one side always wants to curl the opposite way to the other, too.

Naturally I'm a sort of slightly frizzy King Charles spaniel look.
    I can remember ironing my hair & using a product called something like Teeda straightener when I was in my teens (yea, I know, before the old King died ;))

As you say, the humidity & damp is the real menace.
    One goes from sleeky shampoo ad to the cover silhouette of the old Hair album in one easy lesson :rotfl:

How are the legs & feet today?
  • edited 20 June 2013 at 10:01AM
    lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2013 at 10:01AM
    Sounds like you have hair like mine :(

Isn't it remarkable how one side always wants to curl the opposite way to the other, too.

Naturally I'm a sort of slightly frizzy King Charles spaniel look.
    I can remember ironing my hair & using a product called something like Teeda straightener when I was in my teens (yea, I know, before the old King died ;))

As you say, the humidity & damp is the real menace.
    One goes from sleeky shampoo ad to the cover silhouette of the old Hair album in one easy lesson :rotfl:

How are the legs & feet today?

Oh well, my legs and feet are not the best, but I'll live :).

I actually love my hair and have few problems handling it au natural myself...I mean there are times the weather seriously just says 'weary it up today' but otherwise....the curls are me. It's very long and seriously curly. I almost never shampoo it. It was last shampooed um.....last time I was at the hair dresser. And products for curly hair are SO MuCh better now! It's just trying to find a hair dresser who wants to work with it the way I want to. I think it his guy and I might be. A match. My guess is that I might end up letting him actually cut it rather than over trim it. (I want some shap but I'm not up to cutting my own in) but I need him to do it my way, so he needs breaking in. :o. I'm taking him some stuff to read today. He's a friend of a friend and he saw me a couple weeks ago and did accept he saw what I meant about spring factor from a trim....so he has learnt the most important lesson....now I just have to convince him to cut it dry and accept it won't look right straightened.

Edit...I ironed mine on a ironing board at school. :(. It's come a long way since! Oh, and chemically straightening just the top section so I could get it smooth for pony tails etc at school.....bad move, and cost me in work terms.

But awful though it is to admit, it was men that convinced me the worth of my hair. The first was a man who gave me money when I was in my teens if I promised never to change the curl permanently again. I didn't. He was right.
  • Oh well, my legs and feet are not the best, but I'll live :).

I actually love my hair and have few problems handling it au natural myself...I mean there are times the weather seriously just says 'weary it up today' but otherwise....the curls are me. It's very long and seriously curly. I almost never shampoo it. It was last shampooed um.....last time I was at the hair dresser. And products for curly hair are SO MuCh better now! It's just trying to find a hair dresser who wants to work with it the way I want to. I think it his guy and I might be. A match. My guess is that I might end up letting him actually cut it rather than over trim it. (I want some shap but I'm not up to cutting my own in) but I need him to do it my way, so he needs breaking in. :o. I'm taking him some stuff to read today. He's a friend of a friend and he saw me a couple weeks ago and did accept he saw what I meant about spring factor from a trim....so he has learnt the most important lesson....now I just have to convince him to cut it dry and accept it won't look right straightened.

Edit...I ironed mine on a ironing board at school. :(. It's come a long way since! Oh, and chemically straightening just the top section so I could get it smooth for pony tails etc at school.....bad move, and cost me in work terms.

But awful though it is to admit, it was men that convinced me the worth of my hair. The first was a man who gave me money when I was in my teens if I promised never to change the curl permanently again. I didn't. He was right.

In my teens I went for a wash, cut & blow-dry at Sassoon's college. The poor trainee kept watching my hair expand every time he tried to take some off :rotfl: In the end the main stylist took over & had all the students round the chair watching how to do it.
    I ended up with a proper Sassoon cut (took over 4 hours) for a few pence as they only charged the cost of materials. How MSE was that? :rotfl:

My hair grows very, very quickly so it is easier to keep as one layer but 'thin' it. When I can live somewhere easier to get to a salon I'll probably go for a more ambitious style but for now it's long.

Sorry to hear that the feet aren't right yet. They always used to say either keep moving or sit down with them up. Standing still is, apparently, the worst thing.
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In my teens I went for a wash, cut & blow-dry at Sassoon's college. The poor trainee kept watching my hair expand every time he tried to take some off :rotfl: In the end the main stylist took over & had all the students round the chair watching how to do it.
    I ended up with a proper Sassoon cut (took over 4 hours) for a few pence as they only charged the cost of materials. How MSE was that? :rotfl:

My hair grows very, very quickly so it is easier to keep as one layer but 'thin' it. When I can live somewhere easier to get to a salon I'll probably go for a more ambitious style but for now it's long.

Sorry to hear that the feet aren't right yet. They always used to say either keep moving or sit down with them up. Standing still is, apparently, the worst thing.

Yeah, I'm spending most of the time with them up....not much else I can do. They'll come right in their own good time.

I never thin mine, and always wear it long. Mines not actually that thick (not least, as you'll probably guess I have problems at times from thinning with hypo- thy) and the hairs themselves are very fine. Curly haired peoe tend to have fewer hairs than straight haired people too.

If you can get long layers to work I think they look good, and I randomly snip shorter bits around the front, but I think I'd like to make those bits a bit less random and more planned :).

Anyway, I've remember ped to pack a shower cap into my handbag :)
  • Yeah, I'm spending most of the time with them up....not much else I can do. They'll come right in their own good time.

I never thin mine, and always wear it long. Mines not actually that thick (not least, as you'll probably guess I have problems at times from thinning with hypo- thy) and the hairs themselves are very fine. Curly haired peoe tend to have fewer hairs than straight haired people too.

If you can get long layers to work I think they look good, and I randomly snip shorter bits around the front, but I think I'd like to make those bits a bit less random and more planned :).

Anyway, I've remember ped to pack a shower cap into my handbag :)

Blimey, I hate to think how much hair I'd have if it was straight then :eek:

The front of mine is shaped & I have a sort of fringe - until it grows so long I can't see through it & it gets brushed back.
    I used to have it layered but the speed of growth meant that I'd have to have it trimmed every 4-6 weeks whereas now I can go 6-8.

I do agree that less washing is good but I couldn't go so long as you - maximum 2 weeks. My scalp gets itchy if I try to leave it too long. Then I scratch &, bingo, lumps & bumps. :o

Our grass is high now, too. I'm not even looking at the parts of the land that should be strimmed _pale_.
    I think the tick episode has put DH off wading around with the strimmer for a while.

With the deer coming in my first thought was "Ah, lovely" (they are magnificent creatures) but that was swiftly followed by "Oh bl**dy hell, more ruddy ticks" :( :rotfl:
  • ferretkeeperferretkeeper Forumite
    297 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Afternoon all!

Thanks for the ferret thoughts and photos, love em!

Another damp day keeps me indoors, hope it's not affecting everyone's ailments and/or moods too much. It's not as bad as last week at least!

I've been website making/tweaking. In an effort to see our income increase I'm now actively marketing our rental cottage - that and I've spent almost £1000 this month on an electrical problem in it that plagued my last visitors and stopped the heating working. Can't afford that at the mo.

Citizens Advice helped me draft a letter to the original sparky to reclaim costs, it was all supposed to be rewired less than 18 months ago, have had intermittent faults the whole time. It turns out they were slack at best, dangerous at worst. Got a report coming from the new sparky, will help my case if we need to go further...

CTC glad you're making progress, renting your house would be quite simple I'd have thought? Have you seen all the for sale boards spring up everywhere lately? Much better to rent...and as for the boys, offer them a caravan to themselves, or start looking for lodgings? Sometimes they need a shove to get out on their own and be truly independent. I've always been one for discipline, tough love, as has OH but my step kids hated me when they lived with us, prefer their pushover mother, so don't listen to me!

Yes feed bills are a bit scary BUT I'm buying in bulk, works out at £5.50 per 20kg so a lot cheaper than pig nuts at £8 something. And somehow it seems less painful writing one cheque for three hundred quid (which they don't bank for ages!) than spending £100 or more every week at the local place.

Market prices were ok, got 3 saddleback type finished pigs for £48 each. Some tamworths were similar sort of price. Some of the pink pigs were going for a lot more, fine by me, not interested in commercial ones.

First pig for the restaurant went to slaughter yesterday, I'm delivering tomorrow. Very nervous!!!

And I've approached a second posh restaurant chef nearby and he's dead keen so hopefully eggs now in two baskets! Plus he may want more than pork - I mentioned lamb, thinking about rose veal too...? All those dairy farms around must be possible...

So many ideas, so little time.

Garden has totally gone by the wayside, maybe I can catch up if I buy some plants tomorrow, better get somewhere ready to plant them!
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rose veal.....hurrah. Love veal, and pink veal is a fairly ethical meat IMO. Throwing veal out of the proverbial window totally was a silly oTT fashion.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides