Switching broadband providers advice

Options
I am losing the will to live as currently with orange for broadband . Often there is no dial tone , it cuts me off all the time and although pleasant the advisers who you call to get help spend around 25 mins on the line sort it out and then there are more problems the following week.

It used to be ok when was freeserve and even wanadoo but its now a pain,

Anyway to save money I want to switch to Talktalk and have everything all inclusive . I would just like to know that if I change over will my e-mail still be ok. I have a supanet e-mail address and want to keep that . I have windows xp , will it automatically keep it. Also can anyone suggest the order that you do thngs. I have to cancel bt and also orange . Do I set up talktalk 1st and then cancel or the other way round.

Hope someone can advise.

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    I used this site to make the decision to move from tiscali to entanet:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to request a MAC code from Orange to be able to switch.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • M3_Sussex
    M3_Sussex Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is another useful resource for comparing providers:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html
  • Aliss
    Aliss Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Just a caution against TalkTalk... I signed up over a year ago and am still to be connected to broadband. So I'm paying the £20 a month for inclusive calls and still paying BT for broadband. I wish I'd stayed with BT full stop, only had one problem when I was with them and never got cut off or lost my connection.

If you do decide to go ahead you need to sign up to TalkTalk online, provide the MAC transfer code that you get from your current provider, and then wait for the companies to sort it out between them! :rolleyes: This will ensure no break in your broadband service in theory. Good luck, I got past losing the will to live months ago and now I just want to kill somebody! :D
    Aiming to pay off mortgage by my 30th birthday... £39438 to go!

"Had a documentary made about me" non-clique No.1, PM me to be added!
  • trinnylilac
    trinnylilac Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks great advice,
    regards to the mac code does that have anything to do with the landline also . I mean do I have to contact bt to cancel when talktalk set up or will they do that for me.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your new ISP will cancel your old ISP subscription
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Going from Orange to Talk Talk is out of the pan in to the fire stuff.

Follow the advice given by M3_Sussex, go to ThinkBroadband and compare.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, when it comes to BB suppliers.;)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    I used this site to make the decision to move from tiscali to entanet:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Biased site, owned by Entanet Suppliers, does not give honest and unbiased information.
  • Mizz_Pink
    Mizz_Pink Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    Going from Orange to Talk Talk is out of the pan in to the fire stuff.

Follow the advice given by M3_Sussex, go to ThinkBroadband and compare.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, when it comes to BB suppliers.;)

was just gonna type exactly the same thing ! "Out of the frying pan ......" :)
    Just owe Dad £2500 for a new car
    :A

Paid off car loan 22nd August 2009. :T
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aliss wrote: »
    Just a caution against TalkTalk... I signed up over a year ago and am still to be connected to broadband. So I'm paying the £20 a month for inclusive calls and still paying BT for broadband. I wish I'd stayed with BT full stop, only had one problem when I was with them and never got cut off or lost my connection.

If you do decide to go ahead you need to sign up to TalkTalk online, provide the MAC transfer code that you get from your current provider, and then wait for the companies to sort it out between them! :rolleyes: This will ensure no break in your broadband service in theory. Good luck, I got past losing the will to live months ago and now I just want to kill somebody! :D

I would get onto TalkTalk and tell them they have 7 days to sort it all out or you will be leaving them. I would also demand a refund as they have yet to uphold their half of the contract and connect you to the net.

As for then OP changing suppliers, I've just upgradede to Tiscali Max package. Line rental, uncapped downloads, up to 8MB download speed and free landline phonecalls (to numbers starting with 01 or 02) for up to 1 hour (then you hang up and redial to restart the hour) for just under £30/month.

Compared with some of the horror stories I've heard, it was quick, relatively painless (apart from kicking me off for the first few days while it found a stable max speed, which they warned me about) and I'm happy with the service.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure