PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £2.15 spent in NISA today.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Puddickle
    Puddickle Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    This weeks grocery shop done from Ald* & Lid* £50.67/ 90 and on target for our £450 budget :), maybe even some way under and considering last months monster spend of £900 it feels good.
    CC debt £2,528.65/£31,193.22 - Slowly plugging away
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    I pay for all of my shopping on my bank card. So i decided to look back a couple of months and see exactly how many transactions i had for Tesco, Iceland and Aldi. Added it all up and in 1 month i managed to spend a whopping £887.87p!!!!! And that doesn't include the odd shop where I paid cash for milk ect. Makes me feel quite good that I only went £30 over in my first challenge last month.

Will do my stocktake tomorrow.
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ikkle87 - Could I please have your recipe for cheesy lentil wedges? They sound exciting and right up my street!

In other news I've managed to put off my stocktake again today. Hmm, must try harder! I have tomorrow as a day off work so I'm going to do it then. Have no idea why I am still up now, on that note must get to bed!

LC x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,595 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Away for the weekend and thought I wouldn't need to spend any of my grocery budget but DGD decided she'd like hot chocolate & marshmallows to drink in the evening so popped into M*rrisons to buy them at a cost of £3.16; also bought her a 99 from the icecream van so another £1, total £4.16. Have now spent £54.23 of my budget.

Denise
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I pay for all of my shopping on my bank card. So i decided to look back a couple of months and see exactly how many transactions i had for Tesco, Iceland and Aldi. Added it all up and in 1 month i managed to spend a whopping £887.87p!!!!! And that doesn't include the odd shop where I paid cash for milk ect. Makes me feel quite good that I only went £30 over in my first challenge last month.

Will do my stocktake tomorrow.

I did this recently because I couldn't work out why there was more month than money.
    My statement read as...
    Tesco
    Tesco
    Tesco
    Coop
    Tesco.....
    (Every blinking day or so!).

Now it looks like:
    Tesco.... nothing for four days
    Lidl :)
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Nicki_Sue
    Options
    I have £17 left in my budget (new week starts Thursday) and need:
    Juice
    Pull-ups (we are at pants during the day, pull-ups at night now)
    Ham
    Fresh fruit
    Dried Fruit
    San towels
    Cling Film
    Quark
    Greens

I'll start at Lidl and then finish off at Tesco.
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Shopitize_company_representative
    Shopitize_company_representative Posts: 82 Organisation Representative
    Options
    citygirl40 wrote: »
    Well I knew my biggest challenge to this month is the OH spending. He works right next to sainsbobs. This week looking at the receipts he has bought 2 bottles of squash despite me buying 8 bottles earlier in the week (and I showed him where I'd put them:mad:).

I passed my degree (got a First, whoop) so with all best intentions he bought me 2 bottles of wine and some flowers, one bottle broke in the car on the way home. These came to £14.73!!! (We don't have our own spends this month cos we're skint lol). He's never big on gestures so I couldn't say anything but omg, the flowers would have done, I only have £60 for the whole weeks food!!! Anyhow, thanks to a cashback on Andrex Eco at £4.49 and Shopitize £6 odd, I've managed to pull it back to £60.23 for the week. I am hoping to try and spend very little next week (crosses fingers).

Glad we could help you enjoy a little celebration while staying on budget! :)

Congratulations from all of us at Shopitize!

Juliet at Shopitize
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Shopitize. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Nicki_Sue
    Options
    Just had a nosy at Shopitize and it says it isn't compatible with my phone, what a shame!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 August 2013 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Morning all!

I'm just enjoying my breakfast late today. I've gotten in the habit of a green smoothie for breakfast.

It's not VERY cheap, currently around £1.09 a portion, so nearly £8 per week just on that. However it's finally something I can eat in the morning that doesn't make me feel gross and for some reason keeps me going till lunch without tummy rumbling. (This may not be a good thing as Dr says possibility I may be hypoglycaemic which if I test positive means I will probably need to be eating something mid morning and this makes me feel I don't need to, but for now I love it!)

So for those interested in a 200* calorie breakfast, for £1.09 a time, that isn't too sweet and you can drink while you're getting ready in the morning if you don't like it in one go (but it is delicious!) and that requires NO prep except blending, here's the recipe:

LC's Green Smoothie (Breakfast!)

- 80g frozen mango (I use Mr T frozen chunks £1.99 for 500g)
    - 125ml nut milk (I use Koko [was Kara] coconut milk £1.39 for 1 litre - almond milk is also REALLY good!)
    - 100g fresh spinach (I use Mr T £2 for 500g - be careful as there is also a 400g bag for £2!!!)
    - 1 medium banana, around 100g when peeled (I've used 20p as a price for this but can be a LOT cheaper!)
    - A Blender! (I use a Genie which I LOVE!)

1. Weigh the mango into the blender cup and weigh the nut milk over it. 125g of the nutmilk is equivalent to 125ml so you don't need to waste washing up a half cup or anything!
    2. I let this sit for 10-15 minutes (I do this first thing when I make my coffee) so that the mango can de-harden a little bit!
    3. Blend the mango and the nut milk.
    4. Return the blender cup to the scales and add the spinach (if using a genie in the large cup you will need to do this in two batches).
    5. Blend the spinach into the mixture.
    6. Now break the banana into 4-5 chunks.
    7. Blend it in!

Decant into a glass and enjoy straight away or while you get ready for the day if like me, you don't like to have a lot in your stomach at once in the morning!

For a treat you can add in 10-20g shredded coconut - this makes it out of this world, but ups the calories of course! So depending on your needs, this may be a good option!

If you like it sweeter (I like that it isn't!) - add 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey, that'll sort you out!

Hope this is useful for someone!

LC x

*average calories!

PS - the above is all my recipe, but I loosely based it on a breakfast smoothie recipe on laurenconrad.com - hence I've named it LC's Green Smoothie, because that is both of our initials!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport