*** This is Sparta ***

edited 28 May 2013 at 1:38PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
511 replies 23.6K views
NinjaSavingKatNinjaSavingKat Forumite
3.2K Posts
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 28 May 2013 at 1:38PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
"Batten Down the Hatches and Tune Into June"
(Oxford English Dictionary; - SPARTAN = suggestive of the ancient Spartans; sternly disciplined and rigorously simple, frugal , or austere).
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated failures.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent”
This is my favorite quote. Right now my life centers on own determination. It’s the only thing that keeps me focused - the desire not to fail. The determination to be debt free, the determination to own my own house and especially the determination to hit my DFD are the biggest influences on how I live right now.

I have £50 for food this month and have been meal planning for the last two weeks. It will be hard but I have decided that after all my bills are paif I want to send an extra £400 to my loan. I only have one loan left!!!

This determination I speak of is what has enabled me to reduce my debt from £16600 to £7345 in the space of 7 pay days. It has enabled me to keep working instead of taking a day off to “relax”. I don’t want to relax - I want to be debt free. I will relax on the 01st January 2014.

Determination has also enabled me to stop shopping completely. No shoes, bags, no Primark trips, no work clothing, or unnecessary accessories, no Starbucks / Costa or Nero, no expensive supermarket brand names, and I have even stopped buying chocolate / cheese and any sort of junk food as it’s an “unnecessary need” and I can live without it. Can you live with just what you NEED and not what you WANT?

You may think this is foolish - that a person must “live a little”. But can one live a little whilst paying off thousands of £££ in debt? Do you have the right since you owe other people a lot of money? Is it not best to start on a clean slate? You may wish to take your repayments easy, you many not be in a position to add much more to your DMP but I do not wish to take it easy….

.... this is NOT is a place to be rude, unhelpful, unkind or patronising. Everyone has a different battle, differing circumstances and differing lifestyles. We are here to help each other. If this is too tough for you please move on, don’t leave negative comments. If this seems too much of a “competition” for you then you don’t understand what we are doing - please move on and find something that suits you better.

Come with me. Try the challenge of Frugal Living…..just once..

The rules…
  • This challenge will commence on the 1st June 2013 at Midnight and Close on the 30th June 2013 at Midnight.
  • You will aim, through whatever means possible for 20 SFD’s. (Spend Free Days). That gives you ten days to plan around...as per usual emergency petrol is excluded along with medication and emergency travel funds - train tickets etc. (Again if you manage your entire food purchase on yellow stickers this is an SFD)
  • You will stop bulk buying food. I include this in every challenge and still people can’t stop stocking up to feed the 5000. We are not preparing for an apocalypse. You will not starve to death if you don’t buy 3 ton of food. Finish everything in your cupboards / fridge and freezer through some amazingly fantastic food combinations THEN buy more.
  • Decide what your food expenditure is for the month. You are NOT allowed to go over it. You are to down-shift between 5-10 products that you use on a regular basis. (I am on £50 [minus £30] for the entire month with £10 emergency money).
  1. Minus £20 if your expenditure is up to £99
  2. Minus £30 if your expenditure is between £100 and £200 a month.
  3. Minus £40 if your expenditure is between £201 and £300 a month
  4. Minus £50 if your expenditure is between £301 and upwards.
  • Decide NOW how much you want to pay towards debts this month and pay it on the 1st - waiting until the end of the month to "see what’s left" will never work.
  • You will create a spreadsheet of expenditure for the month. Including bills / rent or mortgage / vehicle spends including petrol / public transport etc. Then include emergency money for "unexpected bills" - Be realistic though! YOU MUST stick to this spreadsheet throughout June!
  • Decide now if you wish to have a planned excursion - which generally means something you can't get out of….a birthday, a promised child's outing etc. Otherwise I expect for THIS MONTH ONLY that you are a hermit! Anyone who wants to have a day out with you after the beginning of the month will need to be be politely refused!
  • Put £10 aside for a treat. You decide how you spend it and what you spend it on. £2.50 per week or all at once at the end?
  • You must declare your debt amount and DFD (debt free day). None of us know you, there is no judgment and we will encourage you even more when we know what day you would like rid of your debt by. If you are NOT new to this challenge just put your DFD and amount totals in your signature - newbie’s I want it declared loud and proud in a message.
And finally..

***Please add your name on a post only. Comments and budgeting chat will start on the first of the month. Please DO NOT re-post the entire initial thread indicating what you can and can't do - please just leave your name for now to prevent this thread getting to long unnecessarily ***
Now bring it on!
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

Replies

• edited 3 June 2013 at 11:55PM
    NinjaSavingKatNinjaSavingKat Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June 2013 at 11:55PM
    1 - NSK
    2 - KarmaChiLoveThing
    3 - Jonesy88
    4 - ThriftyLass
    5 - Siouxsie32
    6 - Mayfair198
    7 - Lotti379
    8 - Buffythedebtslayer
    9 - AuntyRuby
    10 - Nearlytherenow
    11 - Angelpye
    12 - Wannabe_In_Credit
    13 - Living A Good Life
    14 - Kickuptheasstime
    15 - KrustyLouise
    16 - FlyingEmber
    17 - NannyGladys
    18 - RosieCheeksBlossom
    19 - Shinner
    20 - StationarySpender
    21 - MoneyMash
    22 - LionHeartedGirl
    23 - His_Missus
    24 - Short_Bird
    25 - Doris65
    26 - MrsToast
    27 - Sarah147
    28 - Everhopeful09
    29 - LearningToBudget
    30 - Lovaadove
    31 - Crazycatlady1
    32 - 32b3in2013
    33 - Lotti379
    34 - Emzilla
    35 - Mr.Cobes
    36 - Abundant1972
    37 - Jody2
    38 - Yorkshirelass
    29 - Sqeeeek
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Ooh, exciting I am the first one here! Super keen KarmaChi Ready to go!

I'm going to stick with my £20 food budget (if I take £20 off it I won't have anything and that's just a little too spartan!), and I'm going to pay £400 off the debt, adjusted slightly because I'm expecting another quarterly bill for my storage unit this month.

Ready and raring to go!
    KC
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • Jonesy88Jonesy88 Forumite
    959 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm in! Bring it on!
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • thriftylassthriftylass Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I AM IN, LET TGHE BATTLE COMMENCE.....will post numbers on the 1st or Friday
    NST
    SFD -/- spends £-/-
    Exercise -/-
    :j:j:jDebt - all 0% 0 to go from 5290 :j:j:j as of 12/19
    DFD 12/2019 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 92300 (11/19) OP 1910
  • Siouxsie32Siouxsie32 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the rules yet, but count me in!
  • mayfair1985mayfair1985 Forumite
    496 Posts
    I'm in this month please!! I Missed you all last month :)

LAGL!!!!! WELL DONE!!!!!! xxxxx

• lotti379lotti379 Forumite
    787 Posts
    Deep breath... I'm in! :D

DFD Number 1: I want rid of the CC by 31/10/13 :)

Will organise budgets over the next few days and post by end of play Friday... thinking of having a month off the sauce to save pennies and lbs :A
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in, total mare last month but will make it clear to the Man that there will be no surprise weekends away!
    Current debt £1980 - Debt free date 25 December 2021
  • AuntyRubyAuntyRuby Forumite
    46 Posts
    Can you count me in please Kat?
    AuntyRuby
    Food 65.39/300 Fuel 0/60

DFD Dec 2017 student loan £277.17 (03/2014) Tesco loan £4,589.76 (12/2017)
    MFD June 2031 £90,630/£112,000
  • Could I join please? It would be my first month. I know I have a total of £300 to spend for the month and planning on £10 per day but will aim for the /20 NSDs too.

Total debt = £3,860
    DFD = 01/12/2013 (will require dedication!)

Food: £150
    Travel: £50
    Spends: £100 (including 1 birthday, 1 wedding and 1 book club)
    NSDs = /20

I hope I've included everything I'm supposed to.
    January grocery challenge £0/£300

DFW2017 #49 £356/£8031
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs