Forum Home » Insurance & Life Assurance

carpenters solicitors......... verdict? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

carpenters solicitors......... verdict?

edited 17 May 2013 at 6:30PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
36 replies 46.9K views

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carpenters will only pursue your case through the court if they think you will win.

But even if you don't win, this may end up as split liability, meaning you can get back the proportion of excess the other side is held liable for (so were it finalised between the unsurers as 50/50 you would get back 50% of your excess).

Make sure you inform both carpenters and tesco about your concerns over the independent witness.

But at the end of the day, they won't go to court unless they are confident of winning, and if the independent witness is accepted on face value be prepared for a split liability or worse.
  • yep, thats basically what carpenters said, the independent witness is the biggy. no idea how i can prove he isn't independent though. hopefully i can convince carpenters enough to take me seriously, but i wont be going down without a fight.

thanks for your help.
  • edited 18 May 2013 at 1:01PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 May 2013 at 1:01PM
    It seems that carpenters are advising you they cannot pursue your excess for you.

As Tesco have subsequently told you they are of the opinion you are blameless then you can certainly contact their legal expenses claim department and ask if they will supply another solicitor to deal with your uninsured loss claim, telling them why you don't accept the carpenters assessment as it's contrary to the Tesco Claims Department's view.

Alternatively await the outcome of the liability dispute between tesco and the other insurer, (having put your concerns over the new witness to tesco), then take up the claim for the excess again if the outcome is anything other than 100% your fault.
  • thank you quentin..... i have mellowed somewhat now lol.

think ill ring both carpenters and tesco on monday and go from there.

thanks again
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    i cannot believe that she has got a mate to lie for her, and is getting away with it. no wonder everyone hates insurance, now i see why :(
    How does that make everyone hate insurance? If you'd said, everyone hates lying scum, fair enough.
  • rs65 wrote: »
    How does that make everyone hate insurance? If you'd said, everyone hates lying scum, fair enough.

sorry, i apologise for not inspecting every comment i make incase someone picks a fault in it. but im sure you can see why my mind may be elsewhere?

and yes, lying scum, everyone should hate them, however, as my situation proves, some people openly welcome lying scum :(
  • I was involved in an accident in May last year. My car was t-boned by a young driver who failed to stop at a junction. They accepted liability immediately and it did not take long for Tesco to pay out the value of the car. Carpenters solicitors on the other hand.....well.....they are 'dealing' with my medical compensation. It's been over a year now and they are still 'dealing' with it. The losses I have incurred and have been submitting keep being rejected - it would appear that I cannot actually reclaim the majority of my losses and the settlement figure they are suggesting is less than people have received for having their wing mirrors knocked - my whole vehicle was written off. I am bitterly disappointed by the service I have been receiving from Carpenters and often come away from conversations with them feeling very angry and resentful :mad:
  • OnanTheBarbarianOnanTheBarbarian Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Carpenters won't be bothered with the claim as you are only claiming a policy excess and no personal injury. which means to them doing a load of work to run a case to a small claims hearing, where even it you win 100%, they will get about £80 in costs and have to write off the fees of the barrister they use to represent you.

Conversely, I have a case against them at the moment where they are defending and their client has an injury claim going on, yet they are happy to sleep walk the case to trial next week for the
    100% uplift on their costs, even though we made a Part 36 offer in December which I doubt they will beat.
  • Unless you are expecting a 5 figure pay-out, (of which Carpenters will push the case to finality to take their 25%), I wouldn’t advise that you use these cowboys, as their speed is of that of a sloth.

The more people who report them (as I have done), to the: Solicitors Regulation Authority,The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham B1 1RN the better.

I had a non-fault accident back in July 2015. The 3rd party admitted liability there and then. The 3rd parties insurer contacted me within 2 hours to take on my vehicle repairs & any personal injury claim. I declined and stated I would go with my own insurers. My own insurers gave me the name of Carpenters, who they recommended to claim for the personal injuries I sustained at the time of the accident.

10 months later, and I am still waiting for the claim to be completed.

I have had little or no contact with the Solicitor handling my case – Viv Titchcomb.
    No response to emails, other than an automated “I am out of the office” reply. When I phone her there is no answer. When I call Carpenters switchboard, they say she is not there. She does not return my calls.
    I eventually manage, (after being on “hold” for 20 minutes – and that’s a genuine 20 minutes), to speak to another member of her “team”, who state they cannot help me, as it’s “her” case.
    There really should be some way of finding out what is happening with my case.
    I wish I had not taken up Carpenters offer of acting upon my behalf. I should have gone with my own Solicitor.
  • Hi Mark,

How are you getting on with Carpenters now? I too had a non fault accident (in Dec 15) to which the 3rd Party insurers paid out, and my insurance recommended Carpenters for personal injury. My emails to them etc are also being ignored.