Vent - Vue Cinema allocated seating

Options

Comments

• Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the warning.

I shall make a point of avoiding Vue in future as allocated seating means you have no post facto option as to where you can sit which is annoying if you have a lot of noisy phone checkers seated near your assigned position.

And if you have the temerity to pick them up and turf them out of the cinema you get people on MSE accusing you of assault!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Best avoid Odeon as well as they also have allocated seating (both in our local one and in the nearest IMAX)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Best avoid Odeon as well as they also have allocated seating (both in our local one and in the nearest IMAX)

Not in the one in Manc.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, I'd hate for someone else to pick my seat. I go to Vue but I use the automatic system so at least I can pick my own seat. You can tell if the seats around it have been booked too.

I'm obsessive about my cinema experience - where I sit, what time I get there (timed to miss the ads but see the trailers). I always go on my own - I don't understand why people think the cinema is a social occasion; you sit in the dark ignoring each other! - I always go at unsociable times (which I appreciate many can't) but you'll be amazed how few people want to watch films about sociopaths at 9am on a Monday morning and I had the auditorium to myself :)

One thing that gets me about Vue... when I used their automatic ticket buying system at the point where I selected my seat there was a flashing banner saying 'VIP filling fast!' to encourage you to choose the more expensive seat. I got in the theatre and there were two other people there and they certainly weren't sitting in the VIP seats. These were completely empty. I thought companies weren't allowed to create false demand in this way....?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • System
    Options
    Ooh, I'd hate for someone else to pick my seat. I go to Vue but I use the automatic system so at least I can pick my own seat. You can tell if the seats around it have been booked too.

I'm obsessive about my cinema experience - where I sit, what time I get there (timed to miss the ads but see the trailers). I always go on my own - I don't understand why people think the cinema is a social occasion; you sit in the dark ignoring each other! - I always go at unsociable times (which I appreciate many can't) but you'll be amazed how few people want to watch films about sociopaths at 9am on a Monday morning and I had the auditorium to myself :)

One thing that gets me about Vue... when I used their automatic ticket buying system at the point where I selected my seat there was a flashing banner saying 'VIP filling fast!' to encourage you to choose the more expensive seat. I got in the theatre and there were two other people there and they certainly weren't sitting in the VIP seats. These were completely empty. I thought companies weren't allowed to create false demand in this way....?

Yes I usually go with friends but I must admit I went on my own yesterday. I decided I couldn't be bothered going to work so took the day off and watched Star Trek. The cinema only had about 10 people in but we were all sat very close to each other in our allocated seats :)
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning.

I shall make a point of avoiding Vue in future as allocated seating means you have no post facto option as to where you can sit which is annoying if you have a lot of noisy phone checkers seated near your assigned position.

And if you have the temerity to pick them up and turf them out of the cinema you get people on MSE accusing you of assault!

The lighting up of the screens in the rows below you always irritates me. I think people think it's OK because their phone's on silent but when they sit there checking their freakin' texts or facebook or whatever all the way through a film, their stupid little screens keep lighting up and it's really annoying. If your attention span is so !!!!ed by endlessly being on twatter that you can't sit through two hours without checking your phone, do me a favour and rent the DVD!
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    Yes I usually go with friends but I must admit I went on my own yesterday. I decided I couldn't be bothered going to work so took the day off and watched Star Trek. The cinema only had about 10 people in but we were all sat very close to each other in our allocated seats :)

I think I'd have moved. Obviously if you go when it's busy you're stuck with whatever you've been allocated. But if the theatre was empty I'd move away to be on my own.

I remember having a bit of a discussion with someone who allocated me a seat right next to the only other two people in the theatre once. I had a few minutes before the film started so I went and changed it. I asked her why she sat someone right next to the only other people in there and said it wasn't very 'British' to want to sit next to a stranger. Her reply... 'it's neater'. !!!!!!?
  • Tenyearstogo
    Tenyearstogo Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    I remember going to watch Solaris at a 10am showing. There was me, a 30 year old lone female, and about 8 lone middle aged men. I don't think they'd been that close to a woman ( other than their mothers) before.

Early shows are the best though.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the odeon lets you choose from what is available here, but so long since I actually paid for a ticket it may have changed as always go to free viewings these days
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • System
    Options
    I think I'd have moved. Obviously if you go when it's busy you're stuck with whatever you've been allocated. But if the theatre was empty I'd move away to be on my own.

I remember having a bit of a discussion with someone who allocated me a seat right next to the only other two people in the theatre once. I had a few minutes before the film started so I went and changed it. I asked her why she sat someone right next to the only other people in there and said it wasn't very 'British' to want to sit next to a stranger. Her reply... 'it's neater'. !!!!!!?

Yes I moved 10 minutes into the film when I was sure nobody else was coming in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure